Upshifting without clutch - good - bad - ugly - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Upshifting without clutch - good - bad - ugly

I ride a 2011 GSXR 1000 for reference.

The need/want to clutch from first gear into second is not what I'm wondering.

But with modern gear boxes what do you guys/gals think or do when upshifting? Do you clutch through all the upshift gear changes? Or, do you simply blip the throttle and upshift without the clutch?

Leave references as to your comments referring to racing, joy riding, or casual thrill riding with hard acceleration.

... I have always clutched them, but have been running into more and more people that just blip the throttle. I have started practicing this on casual rides and it seams very smooth. Just curious what others do, and if there is any gear box warnings for not clutching on upshifts?

go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 11:34 AM
MotoGP

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage
Re: Upshifting without clutch - good - bad - ugly

No clutch is fine. These bikes are constant mesh, not synchromesh, so it is no big deal.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 11:40 AM
Master Debater

Motorcycle: 92 GSX-R750 oil boiler, 92 CB750, 08 CBR1000RR, 2011 BMW R1200GS, 12 CBR250R

You don't blip the throttle it is mandatory that you roll off when you slip it into the next gear on upshift. Doing this doesn't really hurt anything on our modern bikes but its when you get it wrong you grind gears and that's mean to the transmission. Get a quick shifter and you won't even have to roll off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 01:13 PM
Hates the French..especially Le Skid

Motorcycle: Aprilia RSV Mille

Put weight under the shifter then roll off the throttle and she should pop nicely up into the next gear, the more you get used to it the faster it happens.

Blipping is only used on downshift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockK View Post

Leave references as to your comments referring to racing, joy riding, or casual thrill riding with hard acceleration.
For reference:

Racing = Good.

Joyriding= Ghey shit.

casual thrill riding with hard acceleration = My sex life is non of your fucking business.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Sorry by blip I get I meant a fast roll off the throttle vs a roll on. I guess you can't use it both directions.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 06:55 PM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Always
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 09:40 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: L3.1k NOW L6.1k

LOL...I'd like to hear how many people can clutchless shift down in all gears from 6 to 1st without destroying their dogs.

With regard to down shifting you will find when doing left and right cornering in tight canyon carving..the load does not allow you shift down quickly, especially going into to a vanishing point with a tight apex. In this case instead of just as you roll off and down shift, YOU HAVE TO QUICKLY WHILE IN GEAR, BLIP TO RAISE THE REVS MOMENTARILY, ROLL OFF, CHANGE DOWN. This happens very, very quickly in particular when you are moving quickly through the turns to stay smooth, not charging at them.

In other words taking to the apex without the need for trail braking.

You will also crunch your gears going down if you approach say a turn with a neutral throttle and then try to roll off while changing down...need to have load through acceleration and take that off when you roll off to allow the smooth change down.

Just to be clear, the roll off is not a pronounced effort... it only happens in a milli-second. If you are unsure how to effect proper clutchless shifting techniques, go to a motocross track and listen, observe and learn. Then go to a paddock with a motocross bike and have fun until you get the idea.

Better to get these skills learnt on a dirt bike than on the road IMHO.

When I was a kid and riding moto cross, the first thing you learned about constant mesh gear boxes is how to manipulate them up or down shifting in tight turns with your ass hanging out in a full slide. No clutch just balls on tank, knees tight and throttle pinned gearing up or down depending on the berm and dirt cover.

FWIW...this is just an opinion of how I do things...means nothing...without the experience that some of the racers on here would have.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 10:04 AM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Search the word "Clutchless" .... you'll find about 50 other people that have started the exact same thread year after year after year.

This is actually a good rule of thumb for most questions asked on here lol
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 01:03 AM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

I'm on a K6 1000. Barely ever bother with the clutch on upshifts. In fact I barely ever bother with it on any bike, dirt or street while upshifting. You're fine. Plus it sounds better too!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 05:50 AM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: K1 1000, K7 750

A google search on "dog + gearbox" or "constant mesh gearbox" would answer all your questions.

As SPL170db said, a site search would also give lots of reading.

You can feel a perfectly timed shift and a poorly timed shift. Perfectly timed there is no "clunk". The bigger the clunk the more the clashing of the engagement dogs the more chance of rounding off the leading edges of the dogs the more chance of a missed shift and bent shift forks.

One of the first service checks for these type of gearboxes is for rounded off dogs and bent shift forks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode