Bike stalling at idle, low rpm stumbling? help - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Bike stalling at idle, low rpm stumbling? help

2009 gsxr 1000 with 5k miles.

Bike started up and took out for ride. Runs like a raped ape after 4k rpms with no hesitation stumbling etc.

At idle the bike runs lumpy and bounces around between 1k-1300 rpms. It is also hesitant up to 4k and stumbles around but clears up after that.

I came to a stop a few times and the bike will die out of nowhere. There are no FI lights displayed.

Now bike will only idle less than a minute before stalling. It will start right back up and run fine if you keep the revs up.

Never had these issues before except for a slightly bouncy idle from the yosh and bmc filter on a pc5 base map but never stalled or died like this.

Changed oil and filter a few weeks back. Ran the old gas from winter out and filled with fresh 93. No vac or fuel lines are loose under the tank. All connectors are tight. Where do I start?

Plugs fouled? Bad cell in battery?

Maroon/Black K9 1000: Lightech Frame Sliders, Lightech Spools, Pazzo Shorties,Yosh Fender Elim,Puig Screen, Yoshimura Carbon R77, Motovation Bar Ends, Rizoma Oil Cap, Power Commander, Bazzaz Z Bomb, Core Moto Lines...More to Come
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Re: Bike stalling at idle, low rpm stumbling? help

Had battery checked at parts store and was putting out 12 volts and seems to have tested fine. It starts the bike up and tested ok so is this out of the question?

Pulled the air filter out to check and was clean with no blockages.

Ready to pull my hair out and burn this thing to the ground.

Exhaust is puffing and sounds like it's misfiring and stumbling around before it dies.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 11:14 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2011 GSXR 1000

With no fi light on i would check compression, if good replace plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

With only 5k miles of street riding I'm guessing it's not compression or ring related hopefully. Being it's a 2009 and plugs are factory never been changed I'm hoping they are just fouled from the old gas/stabil over the winter and battery dying a few times. Will pull them tomorrow and find out. It figures the local dealer is closed tomorrow but hope parts store stocks the correct ngks. If that doesn't fix her I'll try new battery Monday. Then from there I'm thinking clogged injector maybe or something fuel related. Never had these issues and I've owned it since New.

Maroon/Black K9 1000: Lightech Frame Sliders, Lightech Spools, Pazzo Shorties,Yosh Fender Elim,Puig Screen, Yoshimura Carbon R77, Motovation Bar Ends, Rizoma Oil Cap, Power Commander, Bazzaz Z Bomb, Core Moto Lines...More to Come
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Also doing the marble mod on the pair valve hose to see if that is throwing off my pc5 map while it's all apart.

Set valve removal too probably as I don't trust it now that it's a few years old. Could the servo or cables sticking cause bike to do any of this?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Pulled all 4 plugs today and they don't look fouled but replacing them with a new set while they are out and bike is apart. They were due anyway because of age. Will install new ones today and do pair mod today and cross my fingers.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Problem fixed bike is now running better than it ever was. Idle is spot on with no surging or stumbling. No issues below 4k rpm jerking around. Now it's back to running like a gixxer is supposed to lol.

I changed plugs and did the marble mod on the pair valve. Old plugs looked ok but I guess they weren't up to par.

Glad she's fixed and it was only 45 bucks for plugs and a free marble from the dollar store
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 07:44 PM
Provisional Novice

I had the same problem...#1 plug wasn't firing... Do these plugs go bad just from age?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Yes the age and low mileage must kill these plugs. My last 06 750 went 20k miles on the factory plugs but I drove that bike year round and ran the piss out of it so they must have stayed fresh. These plugs had 5k and looked ok but apparently went bad from age and caused me issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode