Carbon Fiber Build - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Motorcycle: 2011 GSX-R1000
Carbon Fiber Build

Hey everyone,

I signed up for this forum awhile ago but never posted anything. So a couple of months ago with the weather being crappy here in STL, I started to go a little crazy with always walking past my bike in the garage on it's stands and not being able to ride. I decided if I can't ride, might as well work on it. I've always liked the look of carbon fiber along with the strength but I had a hard time finding parts out there. Some of the parts were priced right, but made out of fiberglass using cheap polyester resins with a carbon fiber layer for looks. Other brands were crazy expensive and only offered a limited selection of parts. I could get everything from different manufacturers, but then the weave patterns wouldn't match. Now I've never even worked with fiberglass before so this whole project has been a learning experience. I should have some real parts finally made up in week or two. The pics below is where I'm at so far...

Here's how the bike looks next to my scooter project, lol

Gas Tank Cover

Frame SID Cover

Heel Guards

Still needs trimming, just ran out of time.

This isn't the first time I've jumped into a project without knowing anything about it. Below are some pics of my old bike (GSX-R600) from 6 years ago when I decided to break the whole thing down and polish all of the aluminum, lol.

That's all I got for now. I hope to post of some finished pics soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Mad Scientist

Motorcycle: K3 1000 Full Drag Bike
Re: Carbon Fiber Build

Holy shit that is nice. I myself just started dabbling in fiberglass last year with no experience. Carbon had me scared though. Is that just hand laid? Did you vacuum it? Did you bake it?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Speed Shop View Post
Is that just hand laid? Did you vacuum it? Did you bake it?
The heel guard was just a quick wet layup with three layers carbon fiber. I'm waiting for my peel-ply and bleeder/breather cloth to get here and then I'll start vacuuming it. The goal is to get these parts made with resin infusion. Later on I might try and make my own pre-preg and do some baking.

I forgot to mention that this is just the beginning. If these parts work out then you'll be seeing a complete Kevlar reinforced carbon fiber gas tank in the near future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 12:41 PM
Squid

nice! any plans to sell pieces? ive got the same color scheme 1000 also
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyWagon View Post
nice! any plans to sell pieces? ive got the same color scheme 1000 also
No plans as of right now, but it sure is a lot of work to make some pieces for just my bike . I don't know, maybe in the future. I'm sure I'll end up with some extra pieces if you're interested. After I make a gas tank cover that looks good I'm going to try and make another one with some side vents in it like some GP bikes I've seen. I also want do some lower fairings with a built-in belly pan, also inspired by the GP bikes. Maybe work with some carbon/Kevlar hybrids for different colors... Any ideas on other parts? I'm open to any suggestions.

I have too many projects going on as it is. I've never painted before but I'm experimenting with that on my Ruckus project. It's a rattle can custom marbleized black/blue job

I think I'm going to take some scrap carbon fiber and try and do a marble paint job with the carbon fiber showing through instead of the base coat...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Things are going a little slow. I'm waiting for more fiberglass and resin to get in along with the vacuum bagging supplies. I had enough gel coat to do the bottom of my side covers (below the gas tank). I'm making the whole thing out of carbon fiber, even the little bracket on the back side, which will require a three piece mold.

I also finished cutting my heel guards down and put a flood coat of epoxy over the top. I will wet sand this tomorrow and should have some finished parts.

I weighed this part and it was 6 grams even with the crappy wet layup! The stock one is 35 grams.

underside of side cover with flanging removed

side cover with get coat on back for the bracket...

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Finally got around to making up the side pieces. These aren't fully attached since I'm waiting for the bracket on the back to finish curing. But at least it's some pics actually on the bike!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2014, 01:10 AM
Amateur

Thats some cool shit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode