Reservoir supply lines - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Frame Slider Tester

Motorcycle: L1 1K
Reservoir supply lines

I'm interested in changing the reservoir supply lines (brake lines from reservoir to MC). I recently went to SS lines and the fat black rubber lines from the reservoir look out of place.

Would like to get some SS lines to match but don't think they are made. Went to Lowes and got some tubing. Problem is the tight bends. It really needs to be Custom made to bend in the right places.

What is available? What has others done?

This is what I did to the rear.

From this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	1381009908682.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	246610

To this:

Name:	1381009952964.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	246618

I got the idea from this picture

Name:	1381009985283.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	246626

"You rather spend more time with that car and that bike than me! Admit it!" "Umm... Yeah but you sleep in the bed and the garage gets cold so I'll be in in a minute to be with you"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Frame Slider Tester

Re: Reservoir supply lines

That last picture wasnt very good.

Name:	1381010391757.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	246634
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

If that is the clear hose with cloth weave in it, that shit will harden and leak shortly.

You need Tygon line. It is a clear or clear colored hose sold for brake lines. Motomummy has some.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: GSXR 750K6, 2007 Kawasaki Z1000, Aprilia SXV550, DR650

^ What Moto Joe said.

Most common hose materials (like the kitchen sink hose you put on) do not play well with brake fluid and will fail. I'm pretty sure it needs to be Buna-N or Viton.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Frame Slider Tester

I was playing with ideas. The line that's in the picture is SS reinforced rubber lines used for the pedels in helicopters. But is not rated for caustic fluids. To be honest it does look like sink supply line hose. I looked at the Tygon. I assume it bends with out kinking? How does it do on small radious bends?

Name:	1381012318799.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	246658

Until I find a purpose made alternative, I'm running the stock lines.

Last edited by VooDoo Child; 10-05-2013 at 05:38 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: GSXR 750K6, 2007 Kawasaki Z1000, Aprilia SXV550, DR650

Forget the hoses. Find something to replace that growth that they call a front reservoir.

That always looked like an afterthought to me. I'm just too lazy to do anything about it. And it works.

Last edited by rv6john; 10-05-2013 at 08:23 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 10:34 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

Buna-N and (I think) Viton are not suitable for long term exposure to brake fluid. Reservoir hoses are normally made from EPDM. There are a bunch of grades of Tygon but only a few are suitable. See here, which includes information on the minimum bend radius.

Don't know about the K9s & later but for earlier years the cleanest (and most expensive) approach at the rear was a billet reservoir like this. There are several suppliers.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 12:34 AM
Amateur

Try this.

http://aggracing.com/store/index.php...&product_id=66
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Frame Slider Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb View Post
Never seen this approach. Interesting.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm leaning towards the Tygon. Figured I'll get a few feet and play around with it. Just hoping I can get the radius for the front reservoir mc connection. I should be able too. The picture of the yoshimura prepared bike has it on theirs. Yoshi isn't know for putting crap on their bikes.

I'll update after I get it and play around with it.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

The "superbike" kit for the rear is common but completely unnecessary and cheap looking on a street bike IMO.

Hell on our bikes the rear reservoir is hidden inside the frame iirc. Why get rid of it?

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
The "superbike" kit for the rear is common but completely unnecessary and cheap looking on a street bike IMO.

Hell on our bikes the rear reservoir is hidden inside the frame iirc. Why get rid of it?
Once you fit aftermarket rearsets, the hose from the mc to the res turns out to be too short. So you have to remove it from the hidden spot anyway & then its left dangling or you can cable tie to the exhaust hanger/passenger peg bracket. I never got around to doing this & I had left my res dangling for 2 track days & I passed inspection since it was cabled tied to the passenger peg bracket.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Once you fit aftermarket rearsets, the hose from the mc to the res turns out to be too short. So you have to remove it from the hidden spot anyway & then its left dangling or you can cable tie to the exhaust hanger/passenger peg bracket. I never got around to doing this & I had left my res dangling for 2 track days & I passed inspection since it was cabled tied to the passenger peg bracket.
Who lowers their pegs from stock? Nearly everyone raises them up . I have never had that issue.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Frame Slider Tester

Since my reasoning for the change is purely cosmetic I would not go to the "dangling zip tie" method. Tygon looks like the best solution. I'm going to get some and try to fit for the front.

The rear I'm thinking of the billet reservoir.
Name:  1381102096355.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  14.7 KB
Has anyone used this? Does it attach directly to the mc? The lower part does not look like a hose goes into it. But what is the mechanical attachment to the mc?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 07:06 PM

^I don't think that it's suitable for your bike. It's intended to plug directly into the MC in place of the existing plastic plug/hose adapter and be retained by the C-clip. But yours comes out at an angle that doesn't match the reservoir's straight design.

AFAIK, those superbike kits just have a vented plug on the end. This allows the brake fluid to absorb moisture from the air. It's no big deal on a racer where you're changing the fluid every day. But on a street driven bike you need a diaphram to isolate the fluid from the air. Without it you're inviting corrosion in the brake system unless you frequently flush your fluid.

If the hose is too short with lowered pegs or aftermarket rearsets, just buy an longer hose.

Last edited by BillV; 10-08-2013 at 11:37 AM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Frame Slider Tester

My bike does have a straight up mc design. The manufacturer of this reservoir also make one to mate up with an angled mc.

You say it goes straight into the mc with a C clamp. I assume this is a secure Mount. If not why would they make it?

And yeah I can see the line with the breather has applications on the track. Doesn't look like a good application for the street.

I also have a shop here in town that makes high pressure lines and other stuff. Thought about calling them.

Ultimately I will most likely put Tygon front and back. Just wanted to explore options even if they are outside the box options.

"You rather spend more time with that car and that bike than me! Admit it!" "Umm... Yeah but you sleep in the bed and the garage gets cold so I'll be in in a minute to be with you"
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 11:21 PM

The service manual and your pictures show the rear master tilted forward at about 20. The plastic adapter goes in from the side. If you installed the reservoir in your picture, it would dump out most of its fluid every time you removed the cap.

A reservoir with a 70 or so bend in the neck would make the reservoir cap level. But I'm concerned that the C-clip mount would allow the reservoir to rotate, which is definitely undesirable.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
Who lowers their pegs from stock? Nearly everyone raises them up . I have never had that issue.
Just because you haven't doesn't meant others wont Anyway, I didn't lower them, I moved them forward. Thats when I couldn't fit the res. I wanted a reasonable compromise between comfort & feel since this was after all my street bike.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Just because you haven't doesn't meant others wont Anyway, I didn't lower them, I moved them forward. Thats when I couldn't fit the res. I wanted a reasonable compromise between comfort & feel since this was after all my street bike.
Had to have went forward AND significantly down. The oem hose has a lot of room for the rear set adjustment to go full forward (as far as frame allows), and a half inch lower or half inch back from where the OEM placement is, as the OEM adjustment has that ability. Can't go farther forward than stock. But I suppose you "could" go significantly lower or low and back compared to what OEM allows with aftermarket rearsets... just virtually nobody would.

Your problem is a seriously unique one .

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: '12 Super Tenere, '11 GSXR1000, '11 GSXR750

The hose gets tight when moved to the very rear top hole on vortex rear sets. I don't have mine that far back I'm at the row of holes before the last row. It's pulled pretty tight at this location. Has not been a problem except the time my bike went flipping and the rear suspension links were ripped loose allowing the swingarm to come up and cut the supply line in half. Oh and the rear shock comp can was busted off as well.

Yep crashing sux
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Anyone want to do a trackday or go camping?

Motorcycle: 06 gsxr 1000

I had this same problem with vortex rearsets as well but on an 06 gsxr 1000. I have them up one and back one from stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode