GSXR1000 loss of power and significant gas tank pressure - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Squid

GSXR1000 loss of power and significant gas tank pressure

I have a stock 07 GSXR1000 track bike which I use for track days. I have noticed a significant "whoosh" sound and blast of air when I open the gas tank to refuel which leads me to believe some sort of pressure relief value?? is not working. This past week, the bike ran fine during my first session. During the track next session, we had to pit-in briefly and I shut the bike off. When we restarted, the bike began to lose power as if it was starving for fuel. It revs freely with no load on it, but struggles beyond approx. 7000 rpm under load. It doesnt feel like a rev-limiter type cut-off because it will slowly continue to build rpms, but acts like its not getting enough fuel. The fuel pump is working (meaning I can hear it activate) and I have cleaned the fuel filter on the pump but that didnt help. I'm assuming the pressure build up in the tank (vapor lock???) is at least part of the problem. It continues to do this even after I've released pressure in the tank by opening the gas cap. Anyone experience anything like this? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 08:02 PM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage
Re: GSXR1000 loss of power and significant gas tank pressure

To me it sounds as if the vent/overflow hose is kinked or clogged not allowing the tank to vent.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Squid

I had previously checked the 2 vent lines coming out the bottom of the tank. One line is routed to the bottom on the bike with other vent hoses. the second vent line (has a black braided plastic covering) heads towards the tail of the bike and connects to the cannister. I know air passes through the vent lines in the tank but I'm not clear on how the cannister fits into the system or how to test it (or if I can bypass it). The strange thing is the situation seems to have gotten worse. its done this for a year, but I never had the power loss until last week and again, it only appears to have the loss under a load. Does the gas cap itself have anything to do with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 10:43 AM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

^This is a Ca (E33) model?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Well, I'm not sure if its an E33 model. The engine and frame/tank came from different places when I put it together a couple years ago. The gas tank has only 2 vent lines (one that extends down to the bottom of the engine and the other to the canister setup; I understood the E33 had 3 vents but I may be wrong. I guess my question is - how can I tell? thank you.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 02:30 PM

This is complicated because there isn't a good explanation of exactly how the EVAP system works and what is the function of the various parts. For example the Tank Breather Valve is actually a tipover shutoff valve, as is indicated in the K9 service manual. But not in the K5/K6 or K7/K8 manuals, even though it's the same part.

The E33 tank had three vents in K5/K6; a drain, a breather that ran to the gas cap, and a third that ran to the canister from a vapor/liquid separator in the tank. As best I can tell, K7/K8 only has two for E3 or E33. The service manual says that there's no breather hose but does have a line to the canister. However the E33 tank has a different part number. My best guess is that the drain line is identical but that the breather line is routed differently inside the tank. No guarantees but you might try looking for a separator mounted near the gas cap. This would make sense as the E33 tank capacity is smaller just as in K5/K6. Note also that the E33 gas cap is different. But I don't know how and have wondered about that for K5/K6 for some time. As far more E3 bikes were sold than E33, a used tank is probably an E3.

A relatively simple thing to try would be to disconnect the canister line to the EVAP solenoid and to the tank. Then plug the inlet to the solenoid and run a breather line from the tank alongside the drain line as is shown in 10-19 of the service manual. This should plumb things up like an E3. Test it and see how it works.

If it's not obvious, the E33 throttle body has extra hoses and the EVAP solenoid that are not present on E3.

Following along Samantha's theme, you ought to be checking for a kinked fuel line or clogged injectors. However in the later case I'd expect that to also show up in the fuel filter. Have you checked the fuel pump flow rate?

Last edited by BillV; 06-01-2013 at 11:23 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Squid

I was afraid it wouldn't be a simple fix Thanks for your help; looks like I have some more things to try and verify. I have not checked the fuel pump flow-rate yet, only that the pump is "working". The fuel filter was quite dirty when I disassembled the fuel pump so I suppose its possible the injectors could have been affected. I'll try some of your suggestions and update early in the week. Thanks again for your help.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 03:08 PM

Mike Edwards commented some time ago that once the filter gets clogged, they could never get the pump to work as well again.

P.S. Based on looking inside with mirrors etc., the separator is a can about 2" in diameter and 1" high.

Last edited by BillV; 06-01-2013 at 03:11 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Squid

BillV, thanks for the info. I think I'm getting confused though; the separator can is present on the E33? Unfortunately the bike is at a local shop and I can't get to it until Tuesday. I've usually been able to stumble through basic issues in the past but assumed I had an issue that may require tools I didn't have so I took it to the shop earlier this week. If you get a moment, would you mind helping me think through a high level process of elimination (I'm not sure where to start). In the back of my mind I'm wondering how it ever ran properly (which it did for several full track days late last year and one week prior to the memorial day trackday it failed at), with the exception of the pressure build up in the tank. Sorry for (my) confusion. thanks
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 06:09 PM

The separator is present on my K6 E33 and I believe that it is responsible for the listed smaller tank capacity. As the K7/K8 E33 is also listed as having smaller capacity, I'm betting that it also has a separator. In the K6, the extra/third line runs directly to it. However due to the different/fewer connections on the K7, I have no idea how its plumbing is routed.

It's because it ran properly at one time that I suggested looking at the pump output and the injectors. You wouldn't be the first person to get crappy gas a a race track. However if you have a mix of E33 and E3 parts, that could also be part of the problem, particularly the whoosh when you open the gas cap.

Last edited by BillV; 06-01-2013 at 11:19 PM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Got it. Thanks for your help. I'll update my findings soon.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Turns out I do indeed have a E3 engine but the frame was apparently an E33. I bypassed the E33's canister and test rode again with the same results (feeling like it was starving for fuel). I then opened the gas cap and rode it (it once again had pressure build up when I opened it). The bike ran better, but wasn't generating anywhere near 1k power. I did confirm I have an E3 tank so I believe everything should be E3 spec now. The mechanic recommended we try a new fuel pump at this point. I'm suspect of the fuel pump/fuel regulator since the problem started within minutes of me turning the bike off/on during a track day, however, I also think I have an issue with the gas cap itself because of the pressure build up. In looking at it closer, its missing one of the small, orange colored gaskets around one of the vents. I think my plan is to try a known good fuel pump and gas cap but I'm open to suggestions. I've also replaced the gas with fresh non-ethanol gas just in case. Beyond this, I think I'll have to take it to an actual dealership with more testing tools. My local shop is great, but they are small and don't have many of the more current brand specific instruments. Any thoughts? thanks
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Squid

I've also confirmed the vents are freely passing air and no visible kinks are present.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 12:42 AM

The E3 and E33 gas caps are different but I don't know exactly how. Is it possible that you have an E33 cap? As far as I know, both have only one orange gasket on the underside. Would it be possible for you to take it for a ride with the gas cap open? Say with little gas in the tank and maybe a rag in the fill hole. Just don't immolate yourself in the process.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 02:28 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: K4 1143, L2 1K
Garage

Either the fuel filter if clogged or your fuel pump is bad. If the fuel pump is bad, it won't be able to flow enough fuel to feed your engine under a load. Therefore, loss in power.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Squid

I've replaced the fuel pump and gas cap with known good units and have the same results. Any thoughts on what to try next? Starts right up and sounds great, but acts like its starving for fuel around 7000 rpm. Same as before. thanks in advance.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Nazi Lustful Faggot - hot for Hermann Göring & Cainyboy

Motorcycle: zixxer 1k '06, k7 600

the injectors may be clogged
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: GSXR1000 K8

I assume you checked the air filter. When I bought my bike the guy said the injectors were buggered. I did regular maintenance and the air filter was full of bugs. Cleaned it and the bike worked perfectly.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2013, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Yes, I had checked the air filter and it was in good shape. I reluctantly took the bike to a shop that I've had good luck with in the past. I'm eagerly waiting to hear from them and will update the thread with their findings... thanks
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 09:40 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: None currently, Suzuki GSXR 1000 L2 - sold, Yamaha FZ1 - sold

How did you fix this problem? Did you replace the throttle body or sensors in particular? Or was the problem mechanical?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode