Front Brake Issues - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Front Brake Issues

I have a k7 gsxr1000 and am having some front brake issues. They actually apply themselves!!!

For no particular reason but the lever will get firm and the front brakes will start to come on and will apply until a full lock. I am quite nervous to ride the bike anymore because if it.
I swapped the master cyl, changed rotors and calipers (kept the galfer lines) went for another ride tonight and after 5-6 miles the front brakes came on and i had to bleed them off to get the bike home. Brake fluid was warm but not extremely hot. I am out of ideas. Anyone have any advice on this?

It has origional equipment except for the brake lines.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 02:26 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Gsx-r 1000 K7 (obviously)
Re: Front Brake Issues

I'd suggest pulling the calipers and cleaning them out if you haven't already. Sounds like the pots in the calipers are dirty and end up sticking instead of sliding back into the recess. This then means that the fluid heats up with the transfer of heat from the pads, the fluid then expands and makes the problrm worse.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 02:27 AM
Amateur

To add:

I've got the opposite problem. My bikes brakes loose pressure over time. I have to bleed them every week almost!

There are no leaks and everything is clean and fine.

Its driving me nuts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 07:55 AM
MotoGP

Motorcycle: Whatever oldgixxer has in his garage...
Garage

Sounds to me like the OP has too much fluid in the reservoir. If there is too much fluid, when the fluid heats up and expands, it has nowhere to go except into the calipers, pushing the pistons out and locking up the brakes. I have seen it happen a few times.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2011, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Squid

https://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255493

After searching fo a couple hours i found this- and i did just change the lever also so i am going to try it first. Calipers were cleaned before i installed the 2nd set.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Squid

I had the same problem with my wife's bike after changing the levers to black ones. The brake lever has a pivot in it for the plunger to go into for the master cylinder and when i installed it I did not know about this. The bike would go 5-10 miles and the brakes would actually get so hard it would stop the bike. I was stuck bleeding the brakes with the tool kit in traffic. Try removing the lever to see if the plunger is in the right spot. Hope this helps.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: gsxr 1000 k8 black and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Rattex View Post
To add:

I've got the opposite problem. My bikes brakes loose pressure over time. I have to bleed them every week almost!

There are no leaks and everything is clean and fine.

Its driving me nuts!
old fluid?? had the same prob checked everything first but in the end new brake fluid fixed it, sposed to change it every couple of years but sometimes sooner depending on quality of fluid and usage
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Deceptively fast Bob...

Motorcycle: L1 600 racebike
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollybeans View Post
old fluid?? had the same prob checked everything first but in the end new brake fluid fixed it, sposed to change it every couple of years but sometimes sooner depending on quality of fluid and usage
I would do it yearly in the least if you're a casual rider. If you ride more or harder, consider doing it more often.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollybeans View Post
I thought it was old fluid too, I've bled the system a few times now. Was stock fluid, now all flushed with RBF. Stripping the entire system and going to rebuild with new washers, speed bleeder nipples and some more RBF.

I'm down to bleeding every week and a half at the moment. Riding varies from commuting to canyon carving, I use my bike for everything. The pressure is great for about 2 days after bleeding at the M/C. After that it slowly tapers off until you leave the bike overnight and the next day the levers up against the bar from the off.

I'm hoping its not a bad M/C, if it is then ill just have to go the brembo route once and for all.

Theres never any fun to be had in a straight line.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 09:13 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: K7 GSX-R1000 (RIP, you will be missed my friend)

@speedreaper - sounds like bad M/C seals, maybe you had bad luck with the swopped M/C. If the seals in the M/C do not retract far enough you can have a build up of pressure over time - had a similar issue with an old bike I had.

@ Dj Rattex - Strip the M/C and look for damage to the seals, piston and cylinder. Rebuild it while it's apart just to make sure if the bore is not damaged AT ALL. The only way you can lose fluid if you don't have a leak is if the fluid can go past the M/C seals.

With no power comes no responsibility
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzio View Post
@speedreaper - sounds like bad M/C seals, maybe you had bad luck with the swopped M/C. If the seals in the M/C do not retract far enough you can have a build up of pressure over time - had a similar issue with an old bike I had.

@ Dj Rattex - Strip the M/C and look for damage to the seals, piston and cylinder. Rebuild it while it's apart just to make sure if the bore is not damaged AT ALL. The only way you can lose fluid if you don't have a leak is if the fluid can go past the M/C seals.

That's the way I was headoing in fact.

Must get it sorted before I go up to E.T again. Don't want the brakes loosing pressure on the 22!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode