Fork Seal? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Fork Seal?

I'd like to know if there's a trick or a tip to remove the fork seal dust covers? I have an 06 and the dust covers are really stuck in there good. I'm afraid that if I try and pry them out it may damage the dust covers or worse scratch the forks.

Reason for removal - I purchased a fork seal cleaner tool and before I use it I need to remove the dust covers.

Anyways, I thought I'd ask the members before beginning the job.

As Always - THANK YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:08 PM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)
Re: Fork Seal?

So you're trying to pull the dust covers down while the fork is still all assembled? That can be a little bit tricky, it's alot easier if the fork is apart but here's how to do it....it's about in the middle.

What exactly are you trying to "clean" the fork seal with, and what for, are the seals leaking? Perhaps they are in need of replacement. A street bike is not going to be as prone to getting mud and dirt lodged up in there like an MX bike might, although some bit of brake dust and dirt and make its way in there you may just need to grease the seals as demonstrated in the vid (make sure to use proper seal grease for that).

"I never drive faster than I can see...besides that it's all in the reflexes."
-Jack Burton

CCS AM #478
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:14 AM
Hand-Eye Coordinator

Motorcycle: 2014 675R, 2019 Husky TE300i, 2014 Grom. Yes, Grom, fuck you, it's fun.

Don't fuck with seals unless they are being replaced. If they are being replaced, the forks should be apart. They come out real easy when the forks are apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Thank you for the info and video. Some of the guys I work with race dirt bikes and said that the reason my left fork has fluid on it may be from dirt or dust and rather than completely servicing the forks I should try and use the fork seal cleaning tool. The bike has 4500 miles on it and I hardly ever ride it and the forks aren't leaking bad but I did see a spot of fluid on the ground.

In the video when he's doing the STICKTION test and then afterwards he's applying the grease to the forks while pushing down on the bike it doesn't appear that the dust covers / caps have been removed. The reason I say this is because the black thing on the fork is a zip tie and not the dust cover so my question is when applying the grease does the dust cap need to be removed or should I just apply the grease on the fork and then push down on the bike as he did? Also will Krytox grease be OK? It's used in several aircraft applications and has an excellent temperature range.

Lastly - in this video he does show how to remove the dust covers however, it appears that the video may have been clipped during that instruction because when he's removing the dust cover from the fork it's in his hand and not on the bike which leads me to believe that grease method is done on the bike with the dust covers installed. ( Am I correct? )
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:41 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

The bike that he's applying grease to does not have dust seals so he cuts to another video to show how to lower them. The zip tie is used to measure fork travel and has nothing to do with regreasing the oil seals. Note that some people use grease instead of a zip tie or O-ring to measure fork travel, as he mentions in this:
But that's not what's going on here. Note also that he deftly lowers the seal with a screwdriver. But he's done that a thousand times. It's critical that the screwdriver doesn't slip and scratch the fork tube.

"the forks aren't leaking bad but I did see a spot of fluid on the ground" Low mileage or not, it sounds like you have a leak. It's probably time to replace the seals.

Krytox grease is fantastic, in significant part because it doesn't dissolve in other things (like fork oil). The temperature range is irrelevant here. I don't know what to say about what thickness to use though.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:07 PM
Chubby Chaser

Motorcycle: 2005 GSXR-1000 (track), 2006 GSXR-600 (track/race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 322170 View Post
Thank you for the info and video. Some of the guys I work with race dirt bikes and said that the reason my left fork has fluid on it may be from dirt or dust and rather than completely servicing the forks I should try and use the fork seal cleaning tool. The bike has 4500 miles on it and I hardly ever ride it and the forks aren't leaking bad but I did see a spot of fluid on the ground.
It's time to replace the fork oil seal.

As I said, unless you're riding your bike through mud and dirt it's far less likely to have that kind of debris wedged up into the seal. Time to bite the bullet (and its not really that big of a bullet) and replace the seal.

Quote:
In the video when he's doing the STICKTION test and then afterwards he's applying the grease to the forks while pushing down on the bike it doesn't appear that the dust covers / caps have been removed. The reason I say this is because the black thing on the fork is a zip tie and not the dust cover so my question is when applying the grease does the dust cap need to be removed or should I just apply the grease on the fork and then push down on the bike as he did? Also will Krytox grease be OK? It's used in several aircraft applications and has an excellent temperature range.

Lastly - in this video he does show how to remove the dust covers however, it appears that the video may have been clipped during that instruction because when he's removing the dust cover from the fork it's in his hand and not on the bike which leads me to believe that grease method is done on the bike with the dust covers installed. ( Am I correct? )
That is correct, he is demonstrating on a racebike and sometimes riders will completely remove dust seals on racebike to further reduce stiction and because a racebike is generally going to be servicing the suspension more often......there is no need for a dust seal. I simply included the video because there was that cut away that showed how to pry out the dust seal with the fork still assembled.

Needless to say, if you've got enough oil leaking out to make spots on the floor under the bike its time to replace the seal. Might as well do both forks while you're at it. It will give you a good opportunity to put fresh fork oil in them as well. Because even if you bike only has 5000 miles on it, the oil breaks down over time and since the bike is now 14-15 years old.....its LOOOONG overdue.

"I never drive faster than I can see...besides that it's all in the reflexes."
-Jack Burton

CCS AM #478
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Thanks for everyone's comments - I decided to use the Krytox AC 240 grease and apply it to the forks and then push down on the forks to see if it helps clear the possible debri which may hopefully stop the leak. I'll definitely keep on eye the forks and monitor them before every ride and If I see any fluid whatsoever I'm having the seals redone.

Thanks again to those that replied!

FYI: This grease is great stuff: https://www.tmcindustries.com/produc...SABEgLK8fD_BwE

Last edited by 322170; 05-25-2019 at 02:13 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:42 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

^It's also fantastically expensive. I paid $100 for an 8 oz. tube of 240 AB in the early 1980's. It's almost $800 now.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 05:54 PM
Mod w/ no fucks left...

Motorcycle: 2011 1K....'04 Kawi 636 trackwhore
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbayne View Post
don't fuck with seals unless they are being replaced. If they are being replaced, the forks should be apart. They come out real easy when the forks are apart.
+1,000,000..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode