Starter Motor Brush Kit? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BillV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Starter Motor Brush Kit?

Hello everyone!
I'm having trouble getting some starter motor carbon brushes for my motorcycle and thought maybe the fine folk here would be able to give me a hand. My GSX-R was cranking really weak and not starting, so after eliminating the battery I dismantled the starter motor and found most of the brushes weren't moving freely and actually stuck in position. Springs were oxidized and broken, and one of the brushes had worn at an angle due to the spring being shot. I'm looking for a UK supplier that can either supply a new brush kit or individual brushes and springs that I can fit and solder. I've called Suzuki and they don't sell brush kits, and a new generic starter motor from wemoto is £220.
Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance!

P.S. I'm posting from my phone and the website won't resize my photos so apologies for no visual content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:30 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Re: Starter Motor Brush Kit?

Suzuki refers to the rear cover as a Frame Assy. (31175-40F01) and it includes the brushes. But that's still $70 or so. The starter is actually Denso 228000-8770 and there's a fair chance that you can find just the brushes for significantly less. You'll just have to hunt around. Someone like him or him might be able to get them.

Here's the whole starter for $111 US. No comment about quality.
750Squidiot likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
Suzuki refers to the rear cover as a Frame Assy. (31175-40F01) and it includes the brushes. But that's still $70 or so. The starter is actually Denso 228000-8770 and there's a fair chance that you can find just the brushes for significantly less. You'll just have to hunt around. Someone like him or him might be able to get them.

Here's the whole starter for $111 US. No comment about quality.
This is superb info, thank you so much!
I'm going to do a bit of shopping around. For the moment I'm going to replace the springs and see if I can find the parts for a future, more thorough service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Forgot to mention I'm in the UK so deliveries from outside of the EU are extortionate. Though if the travesty named Brexit goes through, there will be no exceptions to the import malarchy.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:41 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Re: Starter Motor Brush Kit?

Here's a new genuine Denso from a Denso distributor. Perhaps there's someone like that in the UK. Still, that's a bunch of money if all you need are the brushes.

The $111 starter above seems to be made by Japanese company Mitsuba. They seem to keep a fairly low profile as I wasn't able to find a catalog of their products.

These guys sell to rebuilders. They might have something for ours. But you'd have to measure the brushes and contact them.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV View Post
Here's a new genuine Denso from a Denso distributor. Perhaps there's someone like that in the UK. Still, that's a bunch of money if all you need are the brushes.

The $111 starter above seems to be made by Japanese company Mitsuba. They seem to keep a fairly low profile as I wasn't able to find a catalog of their products.

These guys sell to rebuilders. They might have something for ours. But you'd have to measure the brushes and contact them.
Brilliant, thank you mate.
I've found some springs and cleaned/lubricated the spring housings and put the starter back together with the old brushes. It'll probably be fine for many years to come, and I'll keep a lookout for brush kits meanwhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode