Throttle cable guide identification - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By dpapavas
  • 1 Post By BillV

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Throttle cable guide identification

Some recent threads here about K5/K6 throttle cable guides had me looking in the fiche for part numbers. As best I can tell, the fiche is nicely messed up about the various guides. Furthermore I can't find any reference to one that's on my K6. It is shown (barely) on the right side drawings on 10-21 of the service manual. Can anyone tell me what the part number is and if it's listed in the fiche for any Suzuki model at all? It wraps twice around the left ignition switch mounting post on the upper triple clamp before extending out to guide the cables.

P.S. After looking carefully at the service manual and mine, I'm not sure that mine is properly installed. It seems that it needs to be rotated counterclockwise about 20° so that the upper end (hidden in the pic) is ahead of the steering stem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 08:39 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4
Re: Throttle cable guide identification

I suppose the same threads prompted me to look at my guides too and see if I can find out why my throttle cables stick out so far and rub against the instruments when I turn my bars. Looks like I'm missing a guide that's supposed to be mounted on the front master cylinder reservoir bracket and while it's shown on the relevant parts fiche, it isn't listed. There are two guides listed in the handlebar fiche and I think it's one of them, partly because it looks like it (sort of) and partly because it's mounting bolt isn't listed in that fiche (presumably since it's listed as part of the reservoir assembly in the other).

So I though I'd have a look at your case. Are you sure that guide is an unmodified OEM part? My K5 manual is not so good in terms of diagram quality but on page 10-21, I see the guide you're referring to, but it sort of looks like it's mounted with a bolt. The handlebar fiche lists two throttle cable guides (parts 58621-29G00 and 58622-41G00), which is already one more than what the routing diagrams in page 10-21 show, and none of them match the one you have. Are there any unused threaded holes where one of the listed guides might be supposed to go into?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

I've been digging into this. The entire K5/K6 fiche lists four guides, 36619-41G00, 58621-41G00, 58621-29G00, and 58622-41G00 (other guides are listed, but they're for things like the cam chain). I see four around the steering head so that must be them. The first is in the wiring section and the other three are in the handlebar section. Three of the four are only used on K5/K6 1000. I've been able to find pics of two:

Both are on my K6, the first attaches high on the left frame rail about even with the front tank mounting screws. The second attaches low on the right rail and has the clutch cable plus the ignition & right handlebar wiring bundles.

My bike also has a guide for the left handlebar wiring bundle so it must be the 36619-41G00 part. It attaches low on the left rail. It's similar to 58621-41G00 except that the opening is smaller.

Here're the right side drawings from 10-21 of the service manual with the leaders removed:

It looks like my guide and it must be 58622-41G00. The drawing in the fiche is completely wrong (the draftsman must have been hung over as there are errors in the drawings of all four guides). I'm fairly sure that mine is OEM as you have to unbolt the ignition switch to remove the guide. I unbolted it several years ago and remember that the orange-red threadlock was present and made removal difficult.

I can find guides that are vaguely similar to 58622-41G00. You can see one here from a K1-K3 600:

I was hoping to find a drawing that was close enough to use to update the parts manual that I produced. So far no luck.

Last edited by BillV; 10-28-2016 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Added a bit of clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 03:03 PM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R1000

OK, NOW I see what i'm supposed to have on my K5 Liter.
However, b/c the upper triple has been removed, and with it the ignition/key switch many times has been replaced for the Aftermarket triple, to the stock one, etc.

I'll look around and see what I can find in the box that had the stock triple in it, etc.

Perhaps I can DIY one, from brass or SS wire or something?

Thanks for posting these picks, etc.- I know my threead about my cable routing was one of the threads maybe.

This Forum/Board is awesome for we Gixr owners/enthusiasts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 03:33 PM

The top view diagram does indeed look like the guide holding the throttle cable is winding its way around the post and towards the steering stem, much like your guide presumably does. The odd thing is that the parts fiche would then also be wrong, as the guide numbered 58622-41G00 is clearly displayed as part 22 in the handlebar fiche and looks nothing like what you have. Odd...
Todd_Sails likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

The fiche indicates that all four guides are attached by bolts. I believe that to be wrong. That as well as the drawing looking completely different and other issues were the basis of my hung over remark.
Todd_Sails likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 05:48 PM

Sorry, I though you said the routing diagrams were wrong. You might be right; other parts diagrams do contain guides of the same type (for isntance here and here).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

The guide drawing in the K6 750 fiche is as close to 58622-41G00 as any that I've seen. I might just use it.

"Perhaps I can DIY one, from brass or SS wire or something?"
They only cost $5-$10 ea. Now that the part numbers have (apparently) been figured out, you're better off just buying what you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode