Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Considering a Purchase, What should i look for?, 02 GSXR 1000

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  SpeedFury 
#1 ·
Good evening, I am first going to apologize if this is in the incorrect section of the forum, this is my first post and i'm uncertain as to where it belongs. Onto my question now, i am going to be looking at a 2002 GSXR 1000 this upcoming Saturday and was wondering if there is anything specific i need to be looking out for in terms of things that could be potential issues with this specific year of bike, or if i just need to look out for the normal wear and tear issues with used bikes. I'll post pictures if i can get my phone to function properly. For just a little background, the bike already has its fairings off but he already has another new set that i will need to put on, i think that will be beneficial to me in terms of seeing damages that otherwise would be difficult to see. He told me that he wants $2K for it (Clean Tx Title), since im only 19 im worried about spending that much money, yes i know its really not that much but im young and dont have much, and then having to immediately put another grand into it just to make it a reliable ride. Thanks!

#3 ·
That gen 1000 is incredibly reliable and not known to have any major issues provided it hasn't been wadded up. Although, it sounds like the bike you're trying to buy has been thrown down the road already so who are we to say what you'll find? At the very least you want to make sure the frame and forks are not visibly damaged.

#4 ·
Thank you both for the input. As for your questions, No this is not my first bike, it will be my 4th, and I've been riding for about 4 years. The other 3, in order, were a ninja 250(sold), a katana 600(still own), and a yamaha r1(killed by sister).

#5 ·
"the bike already has its fairings off but he already has another new set that i will need to put on"
This is a tad scarey. Is the new set an aftermarket? Why are the fairings off? Streetfighter, crash, or something else? I recall one of the very experienced members here, possibly OG, saying that the steering head on these can be knocked out of alignment fairly easily in a crash.

Keep it away from the sister.

#6 ·
From what I was told the fairings were off due to cumulative small damages over time, and arent really in that bad of shape he was just ready for a color change, he still has them so that's definitely something that I'm going to be looking at to see if I can figure out if hes telling the truth or not. Also I recently moved out so there is a much lower chance of her running this one over lmao. ?

#8 ·
I was furious at the time, now I can just look back and laugh about it. Especially since shed only been in drivers ed for like a week when it happened, (About 6 months ago) and she was completely mortified. At least it taught her a lesson though since now, before she moves any vehicle she walks around it to make sure the surroundings are clear. Besides now I've leaned of the wonders of the gixxer and have to have one, I wouldnt have ever thought about a different one if she hadn't ruined my r1.

#9 ·
Right on man, that's the right way to think. I was backing my truck out of the driveway one time while the lawn guys were at my place. I backed up about a foot and stopped. Had a weird feeling I was about to hit something, so I hopped out, looked and lo and behold the yard guy sat his dumbass weed whacker right underneath my truck. Weird how that happened because I had no idea it was there, just a gut feeling. The only time I've ever "crashed" I'd actually left that day feeling like something was going to happen too. Listen to your gut I guess lol. Was your R1 a 2009+? That's my fav 1k, I love that crossplane sound.

#10 ·
Somebody had to be looking out for you, or rather your yard man that day. And yeah it was a 2011, I do love the sound and I was fully intending on buying another one, and then I ran into the guy that is selling this gsxr and when he told me how much he wanted I started doing some research and rode one that a buddy of mine has and now I'm here.

#11 ·
I don't consider myself a GSXR guy really. I got mine because it was a killer deal, not because I was set on a Suzuki. That being said I do really like the bike, and the newer 1000R has a lot of bang for the buck. You really can't go wrong with any of the big 4. Just never really liked the styling.

#12 ·
That's exactly why I'm considering this one, the styling is definitely not my favorite, but its below what my budget was even going to be so I need to at least take a look at it, and since I rode my buddy's i have realized that even the older ones are exceptional. Especially since I'm pretty sure this one has had some pretty crazy stuff done to it engine wise, I dont remember exactly what he said so I'll update this with more when I get to see it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.