HID Xenon headlight fault? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
HID Xenon headlight fault?

Purchased a HID conversion kit from ledperf.co.uk for my 750 k8. The bulb and kit would replace the low beam light.

Plugged everything in as it should be, when you turn the ignition to 'On' the light flickers for about 1 second which I've heard is normal but after it flickers the bulb goes off and once you start the bike the light won't come on at all.

Has anyone had experience with Ledperf or any conversion kit which this happened to them? Not sure if I need to return the item as faulty or I'm doing something wrong but it's all plug and play and I made sure the + & - were the correct way round.

My advice... Life is short, buy the damn motorcycle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:35 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Re: HID Xenon headlight fault?

If it was truly plug & play, you wouldn't have to worry about polarity. Measure the voltage at the connector. I'm used to the headlights being routed through the start switch but I gather that yours doesn't do that but instead has a headlight relay (your dual high beams may result in more current than the start switch contacts are rated for). It appears that the relay is normally closed but opens when activated, i.e. while cranking. So the voltage at the connector should be 12 V when the ignition is first turned on, then drop to zero while cranking, and return to 12 V when running. So the bulb should turn on, go out while cranking, and come back on.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

When I meant the polarity was correct that is only because the plug which connects to the OEM wiring harness can plug in both ways. When plugged in the wrong way it doesn't light at all but when plugged in correct if flickers on then just cuts out. It comes on as soon as you turn the ignition then goes out but never comes back on.

I have made sure my bike battery is fully charged and double checked all the connectors.

I will have to go to work and borrow a tester to check voltage but for a brand new boxed product I wouldn't expect it to be faulty.

My advice... Life is short, buy the damn motorcycle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:53 AM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

Plugging in the wrong way might have damaged things. But make sure that it's getting power before going any further.

I'm surprised and unimpressed that you were able to plug the harness in both ways. What pics I've seen of H11 bulbs seem to show tabs so that insertion is only possible one way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode