Speedometer cracked won't read 2005 GSX-R 1000 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PaulPhilly
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 6
Speedometer cracked won't read 2005 GSX-R 1000

Long story short I got cut off, crashed the bike, the odometer doesn't read and now the insurance is saying that they will only give me what a bike with 35k miles is worth even though mine only had around 8k miles. does anyone know of a way to pull the mileage out of the odometer to a laptop or something? Unless I can intercept the info from the odometer the insurance company is trying to give me $4200 even though my bike was immaculate with around 8k in aftermarket parts.


Thank you in advance and upgrade your insurance so you don't get stuck with the hospital, ambulance, Fire Department etc. bill when you get hit by an underinsured motorist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:03 PM
Currently using pedals..
 
tatersalad314's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Texas
Motorcycle: L5 600
Posts: 2,979
Really sorry to hear about your accident, hope you’re recovering well! I’m afraid I don’t know of anyway to retrieve that information, unfortunately.

Also, please introduce yourself in the “Starting Line” section and tell us about your riding experience, bikes owned, and perhaps about your accident. Pictures are always welcome
tatersalad314 is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 6
Re: Speedometer cracked won't read 2005 GSX-R 1000

Thanks


Anybody else know how I can retrieve mileage information?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3161.jpg (176.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3162.JPG (110.1 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:24 PM
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug
 
750Squidiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Valley of the sun
Motorcycle: K4 750
Posts: 260
Re: Speedometer cracked won't read 2005 GSX-R 1000

I'd be a little more worried about that then the money brother. You can make more money however you cant replace your life. Make sure as said above to introduce yourself in the starting line section. More people will be apt to help you afterwards. Not sure if this helps but you might be able to pull engine hours off of the ECU somehow maybe a shop could do it and show those to the insurance company and compare with engine hours of a 35k engine? Also ALWAYS make sure you call your insurance company and add aftermarket parts so they will be covered otherwise they wont.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I see stupid people
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Family,Ride,Golf,Beer

04' GSXR750 Full Akra exhaust
750Squidiot is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:36 PM
Provisional Novice
 
PaulPhilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 110
Wow sorry I hope your recovery goes well, god bless! Stay healthy and safe keep the wombs clean. As far as your odometer I have no clue but I think I would look into a place with a reputation that flashes Ecu and ask them. Or find someone that specialises in cluster rebuilds. How about a pic of the odometer maybe have someone check the harnes behind I know it’s physically cracked but maybe u pulled a wire from behind also.
750Squidiot likes this.
PaulPhilly is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:16 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Barbara
Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Posts: 7,495
Re: Speedometer cracked won't read 2005 GSX-R 1000

Bluegauges

There are youtube videos about resetting the mileage on cars (and maybe bikes, I forget) where they find the eprom with the mileage info, read it and rewrite it. But it's simpler, safer, and more credible to let him do it.

It's been briefly discussed years ago when Ridgeracer was active but AFAIK there is no engine hours info on the ECM.

P.S. What gear did you have on?

Last edited by BillV; 05-16-2019 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
BillV is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 6
Re: Speedometer cracked won't read 2005 GSX-R 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPhilly View Post
Wow sorry I hope your recovery goes well, god bless! Stay healthy and safe keep the wombs clean. As far as your odometer I have no clue but I think I would look into a place with a reputation that flashes Ecu and ask them. Or find someone that specialises in cluster rebuilds. How about a pic of the odometer maybe have someone check the harnes behind I know itís physically cracked but maybe u pulled a wire from behind also.
Any members here that are proficient in ECU flashing? Over on the truck forums there are multiple members that tune for other members but as I've always had a power commander on all my bikes and I've never been good enough to get custom tuning, I never developed a relationship with a bike tuner. I'll get a pic of the odometer
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 6
Re: Speedometer cracked won't read 2005 GSX-R 1000

There are youtube videos about resetting the mileage on cars (and maybe bikes, I forget) where they find the eprom with the mileage info, read it and rewrite it. But it's simpler, safer, and more credible to let him do it.

It's been briefly discussed years ago but AFAIK there is no engine hours info on the ECM.

P.S. What gear did you have on?[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, I will contact them.

Arai helmet and gloves, shorts, running shoes and a t shirt...Same as the last time I crashed my other 1000k1.

I took a 3 mile trip to O'reillys and the accident was less than a mile from my shop. The other driver took a left hand turn and I had no time to stop or exit route. I grabbed my brakes so hard i pulled a nose wheely which in hindsight probably saved my life cause it helped propel/flip me over the car instead of just slamming into it.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:54 PM
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug
 
750Squidiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Valley of the sun
Motorcycle: K4 750
Posts: 260
Re: Speedometer cracked won't read 2005 GSX-R 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Thanks for the tip, I will contact them.

Arai helmet and gloves, shorts, running shoes and a t shirt...Same as the last time I crashed my other 1000k1.

I took a 3 mile trip to O'reillys and the accident was less than a mile from my shop. The other driver took a left hand turn and I had no time to stop or exit route. I grabbed my brakes so hard i pulled a nose wheely which in hindsight probably saved my life cause it helped propel/flip me over the car instead of just slamming into it.
Not enough gear brother but I assume you know that.... ATGATT I know it sounds childish and stupid but you can be the best rider in the world and someone pulls out in front or hits you and it no longer matters.
And thank you for the info about engine hours on the ECU!
750Squidiot is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:18 PM
Amateur
 
Kartel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Manchester, U.K.
Motorcycle: GSX-R1000 K4
Posts: 286
Re: Speedometer cracked won't read 2005 GSX-R 1000

What makes anyone think that insurance twats could accept info from anyone? Some Suzuki authorised Dealership might be the answer or a technical/forensic specialist accepted by insurance. In U.K. they show mileage on MOT certificate for the last few years so everyone can see what mileage the bike had when examined at annual check up. Don't you have any papers like that?
Kartel is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 6
Re: Speedometer cracked won't read 2005 GSX-R 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartel View Post
What makes anyone think that insurance twats could accept info from anyone? Some Suzuki authorised Dealership might be the answer or a technical/forensic specialist accepted by insurance. In U.K. they show mileage on MOT certificate for the last few years so everyone can see what mileage the bike had when examined at annual check up. Don't you have any papers like that?
My lawyer said that I need to have the mileage retrieved if i want to get blue book payment above a 35k bike. No I had pics on my phone of odometer of the an oil change which was rougthly 20 miles before accident but that was damaged. I have tried a few dealerships but none that know anything or anyone at dealerships that want to really help.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Squid
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 6
Re: Speedometer cracked won't read 2005 GSX-R 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Squidiot View Post
I'd be a little more worried about that then the money brother. You can make more money however you cant replace your life. Make sure as said above to introduce yourself in the starting line section. More people will be apt to help you afterwards. Not sure if this helps but you might be able to pull engine hours off of the ECU somehow maybe a shop could do it and show those to the insurance company and compare with engine hours of a 35k engine? Also ALWAYS make sure you call your insurance company and add aftermarket parts so they will be covered otherwise they wont.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Squidiot View Post
Not enough gear brother but I assume you know that.... ATGATT I know it sounds childish and stupid but you can be the best rider in the world and someone pulls out in front or hits you and it no longer matters.
And thank you for the info about engine hours on the ECU!
Yes, I got my first street bike in 2001, first dirt bike in 1994 so I am well aware of gear, the hazard of other drivers etc. I have avoided hundreds of wrecks with plenty of oblivious drivers taking left hand turns but there was no avoiding this one. Moving forward, I'm still alive and I've been screwed with medical bills for an accident i wasn't at fault for so I at least want to get more than the 4500ish that was offered for an immaculate bike that had around 8k in parts.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:17 PM
Track Day Winner
 
Jacob54s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: California
Motorcycle: 06 GSXR1000
Posts: 83
Garage
Re: Speedometer cracked won't read 2005 GSX-R 1000

Damn dude... Hope you heal up soon!
Jacob54s is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:32 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Santa Barbara
Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000
Posts: 7,495
Re: Speedometer cracked won't read 2005 GSX-R 1000

You could also connect your cluster to a similar bike. Given what's on the line, I suggest that it be very similar, i.e. K5/K6 1000. If it doesn't work, Bluegauges ought to be able to retrieve it anyway.
BillV is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:09 PM
Uses squid tentacles as a butt-plug
 
750Squidiot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Valley of the sun
Motorcycle: K4 750
Posts: 260
Re: Speedometer cracked won't read 2005 GSX-R 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Yes, I got my first street bike in 2001, first dirt bike in 1994 so I am well aware of gear, the hazard of other drivers etc. I have avoided hundreds of wrecks with plenty of oblivious drivers taking left hand turns but there was no avoiding this one. Moving forward, I'm still alive and I've been screwed with medical bills for an accident i wasn't at fault for so I at least want to get more than the 4500ish that was offered for an immaculate bike that had around 8k in parts.
Understood. Like BillV said have someone try and retrieve that and I hope you can find some way to rectify the costs. Lawsuit?
750Squidiot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 vs 2005 GSXR 1000 Mille-R 12 - 16 GSX-R1000 190 09-27-2016 07:04 AM
K3 1000 - Rear Master Cylinder gsxrK3 GSX-R1000 General Forum 5 10-20-2013 12:33 PM
2005 GSXR 1000 COP349 GSX-R1000 General Forum 15 07-28-2004 01:55 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome