The Sig P320 is the U.S. Army's New Sidearm - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 8Likes
  • 2 Post By marcadamski
  • 2 Post By Mr. Bojangles
  • 2 Post By marcadamski
  • 1 Post By oldfart01
  • 1 Post By SVS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
The Supermod that wants to see grandma's Snapper....

Motorcycle: WR250R
The Sig P320 is the U.S. Army's New Sidearm

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sig-p320-...193331061.html

I question the decision to use 9mm for military use. And it would have been nice to have an American firearms company win the contract, but I have shot Sigs and they are very nice IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 09:58 AM
Both Handsome AND Pretty!

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae
Re: The Sig P320 is the U.S. Army's New Sidearm

I'm shocked they would use a 9 also. It looks like that whole process was a clusterfuck from reading that article. I loved the army quote, "We're not figuring out the next lunar landing." A 351 page document for the bid process!!!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

This was a weird sentence in the article too: In a 2006 report on U.S. infantry weapons, troops who had used the M9 in combat in Iraq and Afghanistan ranked it dead last compared to the M4 carbine, M16 rifle, and M249 squad automatic weapon.

No shit it was ranking last next to rifles in combat.

I also think it was a good idea that they choose a pistol that didn't require the trigger to be pulled when disassembling lile the Glocks. Judging by how many law enforcement officers inadvertently discharge their weapon, it was probably a good idea.

"Whether you succeed or fail is dependent entirely on you" - Vic Armstrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 11:21 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2013 GSX-R 600

I am military and also own 2 P320s...it was a great decision in my opinion. Very easy to break down, once broken in they are very reliable..with both of mine I had a few failure to feeds in the first 500 rounds but now that both are well beyond that I have had zero problems. I have a compact in the .40 and a sub compact in the 9mm and alternate them with my wife as our EDC's. The berettas we had before were 9mm also so we arent changing caliber which cost wise is the best option anyway..its going to hold 17 rounds and the maintenance is much easier..the beretta is shit in my opinion and cant take a beating at all.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 11:48 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600

Am I the only one that liked the M9? haha

Which round would you guys rather see the military carry in their sidearm if not the 9mm? Just curious.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 12:20 PM
Provisional Novice

I couldnt see mass production of the 45 or 10mm...the 357 maybe..380 i dont think is near enough. the 9mm and 40cal are my 2 choices and the 40, sadly, seems to be going extinct since the fbi ran away from it and now police departments are as well. Austin PD and Texas DPS have switched to 9mm and ironically the P320. Im fine with shooting someone with a 9mm ball round especially if said firearm has 17 round magazine capacity and isnt a C*NT to clean. Just my opinion but I am biased haha and yeah I haaaaaaate the M9.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcadamski View Post
I couldnt see mass production of the 45 or 10mm...the 357 maybe..380 i dont think is near enough. the 9mm and 40cal are my 2 choices and the 40, sadly, seems to be going extinct since the fbi ran away from it and now police departments are as well. Austin PD and Texas DPS have switched to 9mm and ironically the P320. Im fine with shooting someone with a 9mm ball round especially if said firearm has 17 round magazine capacity and isnt a C*NT to clean. Just my opinion but I am biased haha and yeah I haaaaaaate the M9.
I didn't know the FBI was in the process of switching from the .40. From a recent article by Masaad Ayoob, "First, the Bureau itself has not yet actually made wholesale changeover. Most agents are still carrying issue .40ís, and many are carrying optional Glockís in 9mm and .45 ACP as they have been able to do for several years. There still seems to be more police agencies issuing the .40 than any other caliber."

I really like my .40 Glock 23c. I picked up a Beretta 92fs last year and I like it's feel & handling, but I've never carried it for protection.

President & founding Member of IACOGDC, Insensitive Asshole Club Of GDC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proudly Banned 1,000,001 times!! GDC world record holder for bannings! Oldfart is mildly retarded, be kind
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_
Rest in peace Mom, you were the best, 3/16/30 - 10/16/15
RIP Brother Bill, 5/28/54-11/25/15
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 08:03 PM
Sirijus Indelxsjul Diskushuns Onley

Quote:
Originally Posted by connellcr3 View Post
Am I the only one that liked the M9? haha

Which round would you guys rather see the military carry in their sidearm if not the 9mm? Just curious.
.45, like they carried when men were men.
Ironhead401 and connellcr3 like this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

I have never been in combat but i am a former leo. I would want something with a little more stopping power than a 9mm.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead401 View Post
I have never been in combat but i am a former leo. I would want something with a little more stopping power than a 9mm.
I agree with you, but I know a lot of opinions are changing on the 9 due to advancements in bullet tech & running it in +p loads. That being said, I would rather run my .40 in +p with a high tech bullet.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 09:55 PM
Provisional Novice

The problem we have here folks is our opinions mean nothing compared to the ones who will never see combat that make these decisions. Funding funding funding. If they go with the 320 in 9mm they can keep the millions of rounds they currently have and not have to spend more money on a new round. Trump is wanting to increase mitsry budget so it's 10% chance they will look at a different round..but clinton wanted to decrease the budget and our numbers which probably would result in no 320. A little on my background, I worked in online gun sales with gunbroker for GT Distributors which is a top 2 glock distributor in the world and is a very large supplier to LEO. Austin PD used to use 22, 22C, and 23s in 40 obviously and are switching to the 17 in 9mm. When you buying pallets of ammo it is significantly different in price. Texas DPS which known to some as state police are switch from the sig 226 which is 40 to the p320 in full size 9mm. I love the 40 but facts are facts, it is cheaper for the army to run 9mm than to switch to 40 or 45. The problem with 45 is its expensive, heavy, and you can't carry as much in a basic load because most magazines are 7 or 8 round single stacks. The 40 would be great but the army has zero on hand currently and literally billions of 9mm in ASPs around the United States not even considering in third world countries and other locations. It's all about money and the ones that our on control don't give a fudge about the guys in boots on the ground.
oldfart01 and connellcr3 like this.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 09:55 PM
Provisional Novice

Sorry I'm on a melatonin rant and should be sleeping...which excusing me from the rant lol.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The problem we have here folks is our opinions mean nothing compared to the ones who will never see combat that make these decisions. Funding funding funding. If they go with the 320 in 9mm they can keep the millions of rounds they currently have and not have to spend more money on a new round. Trump is wanting to increase mitsry budget so it's 10% chance they will look at a different round..but clinton wanted to decrease the budget and our numbers which probably would result in no 320. A little on my background, I worked in online gun sales with gunbroker for GT Distributors which is a top 2 glock distributor in the world and is a very large supplier to LEO. Austin PD used to use 22, 22C, and 23s in 40 obviously and are switching to the 17 in 9mm. When you buying pallets of ammo it is significantly different in price. Texas DPS which known to some as state police are switch from the sig 226 which is 40 to the p320 in full size 9mm. I love the 40 but facts are facts, it is cheaper for the army to run 9mm than to switch to 40 or 45. The problem with 45 is its expensive, heavy, and you can't carry as much in a basic load because most magazines are 7 or 8 round single stacks. The 40 would be great but the army has zero on hand currently and literally billions of 9mm in ASPs around the United States not even considering in third world countries and other locations. It's all about money and the ones that our on control don't give a fudge about the guys in boots on the ground.
Very informative, thanks.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry I'm on a melatonin rant and should be sleeping...which excusing me from the rant lol.
No, that makes a lot of sense. I am still blown away that the bid was over 300 fucking pages for a new sidearm! That's just insanity.
marcadamski likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 08:18 AM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R

A big difference is that LEOs and civilians can use modern, expanding bullets, military is limited to FMJ by international convention.

Ammo price and supply is significant, though - and I'm sure the US military has millions if not billions of 9mm rounds already.
Ironhead401 likes this.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 09:40 AM
I move away from the mic

Motorcycle: 2006 R1 50th
Garage

Side arms are usually issued to REMFs(those that are not combat qualified), and of course officers.

The caliber of the round had more to do with strategy than stopping power from a single round. More rounds per weapon and more rounds can be carried. The M9 came out in 1979, when the cold war started. The strategy was more ammo for killin' waves of Russians and Chinese.

Our allies also use the same rounds in 9mm, 5.56 and 7.62. Imagine going to war with your friends and you can't share ammo nor magazines? Some rifles can even interchange magazines.

I am pretty sure that in 1979 LEO departments also went 9mm, gone was the .357.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 12:48 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode