Just for fun: - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: K6 GSX-R 1000
Just for fun:

I own a custom rifle making business. This thread is for discussion only so I'm leaving any association to my business out of it. I don't want the mods taking this as some guerrilla marketing effort.

So, here's how it starts. I have a Winchester Model 70 that is going to be accurized here at the shop. "Blueprinted" is another term commonly used for this. The work is typically done in a lathe, truing up lug surfaces, threads, etc. Not here. I use a cnc setup in a 5 axis format.

First, I have to qualify the bottom of the receiver. It must be flat so that the fixture to hold it for accurizing doesn't distort the part and create an error. This fixture registers the raceways parallel to the table so I can deck the bottom.

Now that were done with machining, we move onto a little cleanup and deburr work. I use a mill file and wrap it with some 180 grit emery. This just levels out any tool marks and puts a nice finish on it. Care must be taken not to get too carried away. If we take too much off in one spot it'll cause the receiver to distort when in the fixture.

Now onto "the rock" for a flatness inspection. This is called a surface plate. A ground/lapped piece of granite that is used as a reference table. The height stand and indicator will show any deviation as I slide it over the part. Were in good shape. Were hovering around .001" for flatness from end to end. That's pretty good for a mill. Any better and we'd have to surface grind the bottom. -much more work than the job warrants.

So, that wraps up 1st op. I'll mount the fixture and get more pics here in a few minutes.

More to come. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Re: Just for fun:

Receiver has been clammed up. Now we run the ritual of getting it oriented to the machine spindle.
The fixture registers the receiver without distorting the front ring where the barrel goes. This is a good thing. Holes stay round and straight that way. Now we see the importance of having the bottom flat.

The mandrel is a ground shaft that's about as straight as straight gets. It's fitted to bushings that are slip fit and sized in .0005" increments. The bushings locate the mandrel to the CL of the action. From here the indicator reads the error and the table is moved until the receiver points straight up in relation to the spindle.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

A Blake Coaxial indicator as part of the permanent tool package in this machine makes quick work of setting the work coordinates for the machine. Basically zero in the X/Y axis.

Final setup process, determining exactly where the lug abutments are in the action. This plug is one that I made. It's a known height. The 3D Probe touches to the face of it, manually run it to zero, and I can crunch a couple numbers to see exactly where the action sits in the Z (vertical) plane. Important. Miss it and you could very easily kill the receiver by wiping out the lugs inside.

Now we're ready to machine it. . .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 06:07 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

I'm only interested if it shoots 30 rounds in half a second and gives me temporary PTSD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 06:21 PM
Expert

Garage

Sooo.. I'm going out on a limb here. My dad gave me a marlin model 98 that won't cycle. I have some new parts in it, but ultimately the receiver is fucked. This rifle has sentimental value to me and I have been trying to make it cycle for years. I know that your not tryin to get ends on ur business but I'm getting desperate. You think you can help? We can swap emails and sideline this conversation. All the local Gunsmiths in my area won't touch it cuz its so old
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 09:57 PM
Sirijus Indelxsjul Diskushuns Onley

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 08:36 PM
The Dreaded Midnight Taint Slapper

Motorcycle: 2007 CRF250R
Garage

Thats cool. Nice work!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 07:06 AM
Mod w/ no fucks left...

Motorcycle: 2011 1K....'04 Kawi 636 trackwhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
I'm only interested if it shoots 30 rounds in half a second and gives me temporary PTSD
Okay, that's funny shit......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode