How to carry a handgun when wearing full leathers. - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 1993 GSXR 750 WP
Garage
How to carry a handgun when wearing full leathers.

Okay, so I carry everywhere I go and have been for over a decade. I've never left the house without my handgun.

Now that I have a bike I'm worried about how I'm going to continue carrying.

I already plan on mounting a holster just behind my right fairing to put the gun in while I ride, but the question is how do I carry concealed while wearing full leathers? I have a 2-piece Dainese race suit.
I will wear full leathers ALL THE TIME when riding. If I happen to go to a bike night meet in downtown Dallas I will want my firearm with me for sure. I've been mugged in Dallas by gunpoint before so I never go without a gun. That mugging happened when I was a teen and I was unarmed. Luckily I survived.

When I ride it will be secured in the hidden holster on the bike. When I get off the bike to mingle I will need to carry it on my person somehow. I don't think the traditional inside-waist holster type will work with the 2-piece suit. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:57 AM
I move away from the mic

Motorcycle: 2006 R1 50th
Garage
Re: How to carry a handgun when wearing full leathers.

Coolmesh, compression type shirts that would probably be comfortable under in a suit.

http://undertechunderwear.com/
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: '03 GSX-R 750, '01 CBR 600F4

You may try getting a smaller-frame handgun, semi-auto obviously, since there's less profile. I would imagine trying to do what you're describing with a standard frame revolver or a .45 auto -sized pistol would be next to impossible, and probably unsafe. Google "Precision Small Arms pocket Model PSP-25 semi-auto pistol, .25 cal., 2” barrel"and see what you think... good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage

I thought about a smaller frame gun, but I like carrying my full size frame Glock 17. I like having 17 rounds of 9mm ready immediately at my disposal plus 17 more in a backup magazine. What about wearing some kind of shoulder harness under my jacket and then stick the pistol in there when I unzip my jacket and get off the bike? Anyone else try that?

Perhaps I could mount some kind of soft holster to my back protector somehow on the waistband. That way it would be flat when riding and can accommodate the handgun when I'm not on the bike.

I don't think the undertech compression shirt will fit a full size glock.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: '05 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_T View Post
I thought about a smaller frame gun, but I like carrying my full size frame Glock 17. I like having 17 rounds of 9mm ready immediately at my disposal plus 17 more in a backup magazine. What about wearing some kind of shoulder harness under my jacket and then stick the pistol in there when I unzip my jacket and get off the bike? Anyone else try that?

Perhaps I could mount some kind of soft holster to my back protector somehow on the waistband. That way it would be flat when riding and can accommodate the handgun when I'm not on the bike.

I don't think the undertech compression shirt will fit a full size glock.

When the fuck are u ever gonna need 30+ rounds? I've never thought anything more than 10 rounds was necessary in almost all real life situations where a pistol would be used. Are u constantly drunk, a gangster, or just a bad shot? I say Get a sig p938 or something smaller carrying a full size frame with leathers THAT FIT would be a PITA

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: '05 GSXR 600

The back of ur belt would be ur best option tho maybe the sides if u can way to secure it if u can't get over the glock

Last edited by Keezy235; 06-20-2014 at 07:25 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keezy235 View Post
When the fuck are u ever gonna need 30+ rounds? I've never thought anything more than 10 rounds was necessary in almost all real life situations where a pistol would be used.
That is a fallacy. It has nothing to do with being a bad shot. In a real life scenario you will most likely be facing 1-3 armed attackers. I don't feel a need to justify how good a shot I am nor do I wish to gloat about my skills. Let's just say I'm highly trained, very skilled, highly educated, and very experienced and leave it at that.

All too often I come across people who seem to equate their skill in shooting at paper targets that do not shoot back at a range where the paper threat is only in front of you, with the ability to defend themselves against one or more bad guys who are trying to kill them, are moving fast and coming at them from all or unknown directions. Try to understand that while target shooting brings something to the table in self defense, it does not bring enough to ensure you will survive. Most do not believe me as they have a mental image of themselves free and clear from the powerful effects of the adrenaline surge they have never experienced that comes when facing death. For goodness sakes look at the statistics for hit and miss shots during firefights from police records. In firefights between 0-6 feet only 50% of shots fired hit home. Less than 20% out at ranges farther than 6 feet. It has nothing to do with "cops with bad aim", but more to do with the adrenaline rushing through your body and the dynamics of a firefight which is unpredictable and rapid. To think your 10 shots and a mag change is all you need against 3 armed attackers is ignorant. To simply assume that you will somehow overcome your body chemistry would not be a good idea. I'm not trying to put you down in any way at all. I'm just here to educate and enlighten.

I read a good story recently about someone using one of those video simulators that force you to make decisions. He saw a man robbing a woman at gun point, yelled to the robber to drop his gun and the robber turned and the screen went red meaning that the good guy was dead. The guy who was in the simulator said it was not fair because the robber just turned and shot him and that was not proper behavior. I think that illustrates how many people think. They form mental pictures of their gun fight in their heads and how they will handle certain situations but fail to realize that the reactions of the others involved in their mental image are not going to be as those assigned to them in real life.

Often times, the startle effect of suddenly being placed in a situation of dire circumstances is enough to give one pause. They have a natural tendency to respond with a sense that they are in denial what is happening is real. They are so far removed from how ruthless thugs act and behave that when they are suddenly, and without warning they will freeze for a moment while their brain tries to process what is before them. They hesitate at the moment of truth. They choke.

At other times, people have such a pre-conditioned mental image of what a deadly force situation is going to be in their mind, that they fail to recognize that they are standing right in the middle of one right now, because it presented itself in a way which was much different than they imagined it would be in their mind. That alone can get someone killed as much as anything else. Failing to recognize that you are in the middle of a situation which can cost you your life in the next heartbeat.

Oh, they see the man with the gun. They know moments ago he was shooting people. But for some strange reason, they have this inane sense of "fair play" that if they have a gun and tell the guy to "freeze," or "drop the gun," that the thug will recognize the good guy is now on the scene and is in charge, and he will surrender like they do in cowboy movies. When in fact, the good guy should have shot him down with no warning what so ever. So, in the end, the bad guy ends up killing the good guy because of the good guys sense of fair play. (In reality, we'll never know what was going through his head because he's dead).

Without the proper mental preparation beforehand, and without programing a conditioned response in your hard wire, a lot of people are apt to hesitate at a critical moment. The brain can process things incredibly fast. In fact, it can process things at lightning speed. But it needs help to do so efficiently and come to the proper conclusions when it is processing the data. Which boils down to a culmination of realistic and practical training, having a proper mindset that you will dominate, overcome and survive, as well as basic marksmanship skills. The more tactically you train, the more adept you are at your draw, the more situations you can train for allows the brain to process things quicker and with more options on how it routes the stimulus it is processing.

You should never deny that you are the same as everyone else. You are human. When you find yourself in a deadly situation YOU WILL get tunnel vision, your body will swell with adrenaline, and your primary brain functions will shut down. Your brain will operate from the survival instinct areas. You will either fight, flee, or worst of all freeze. I'm just letting you know this in friendly way from a fellow American brother. Your 10 shots should be enough to take down at least 1 assailant and possibly even 2 with the proper warrior mindset, but on the other hand if you ignore the vast amount of mental training required for a true life/death situation all 10 shots will miss if you even fire them (relying on luck). Your accuracy on paper alone will never equate the same in a true life scenario EVER.

In conclusion, I will keep my 17 round capacity handgun on my person and use my extra 17 rounds if I live long enough to reload. If you'd like to discuss this further I will happily continue the conversation. I don't know you, but as a fellow concealed carrier I want you to survive and the bad guy(s) to fall.

I really hate these types of presentations, but this one is really good. I am in no way connected to this guy or company that made it, but it really puts what I'm talking about into perspective,
http://concealedcarryconfidence.org/...Fe4F7AodtlIAtg
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 08:59 PM
Squid

I also carry a Glock and prefer high capacity handguns, but I had to switch to a smaller gun for riding. I ride with a S&W shield inside the waistband or in the tank bag. Sometimes you gotta compromise.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 09:35 PM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

As has been mentioned in other threads, take a moment and think what it might feel like to be wearing a weapon if you have a get off. If I carried, it would be in my tank bag to be honest. For you guys where open carry is legal, you could opt for something like this.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage

I wish open carry of pistols was allowed in Texas. It would make carrying on a bike much easier. I could open carry a blackpowder pistol in this state, but that isn't very practical. That seat is awesome! I'd still want to conceal it when I get off the bike though...

Well I could always say screw it and just sling my Ar15 over my back and ride with that. Open carry of long guns is allowed. LMAO
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 10:45 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 2004 GSX-R 600

Im military so we have to wear those high-viz vests when we ride, one of those might work if you wanna still use a shoulder holster? Mine is a bit loose and could probably fit my full frame sig sauer sp2022 under it.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 93 GSXR 600W

Nothing about nothing juat my point.

Open carry is great and all- except when you get in a crowd of people. Someone sees it and they tell someone who tells the loudest person there and next thing you know you are laying on the ground with a police officers foot on the back of your neck. (Speaking from exp btw) this is because patrol officers in my area see a gun and its automatically illegal.

CCW- amazing. When i rode before i had my jacket that i wore was a little bit big on me (lost 30+lbs after i bought them) so i had some space on the inside for the shoulder holster. Twin chrome .45 with green mother of pearl handles fit nicely inside.

As for a holster i will look up what my back holster is tomorrow. Its almost like a police holster that has a spade in the back of it and the gun rest on your lower back and slides down to the trigger guard.

The ban button should work for stupid peoples lives instead of just the accounts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Itís About the Journey, not the Destination
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Squid

Kinda late to the party but here is my two cents on holsters.

Croosbreed. My absolute favorite holster. Its an IWB holster and makes a full frame gun disappear. All day comfortable. They run about 80 bucks. Galco has now come out with a copy that is about 40 bucks. The guys at work who have the Galco seem to like it. Would need to be suppored with a belt however so not sure if it would work under full leathers.

I hate shoulder rigs. Very uncomfortable and print something fierce.

You may be able to use something similar to the Uncle Mikes Belly Band holster under your leathers. I have used it for a while with a back up gun and it did its job.

I would be leary about mounting it to the fairings. Then every time you walk away from the bike you would need to remove it and stow it on your person. Quite a show for any evil doers ni the area.

I think finding a holster set up that works with your leathers is the way to go.

Could you take the leathers to a tailor and have then attach a holster into the inside of the leathers top? Right over the chest for example. Would be accessable but not hinder your ability to ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode