Finally got around to putting a nice stock on my Mossberg 500 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Both Handsome AND Pretty!

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae
Finally got around to putting a nice stock on my new/old Mossberg 500

An OLD Mossberg 500 I had bought as a defense weapon for my dad years ago when he first retired. He was RV'ing all over the country with my mom & kept it in the RV on their travels. He's 92 now & he said with his health the way it is, & he's stuck in a walker, he didn't want it in the house anymore. He liked it with just the pistol grip. I've never been a big fan of the pistol grip only.

I found this ATI Talon Scorpion collapsible stock on Amazon. It has a nice recoil reduction pistol grip & butt pad. Real nice quality stock. I really like the 2 tone look on the new stock. I thought, at least it's different. I know the 500 is nothing fancy but it's a lot of fun to screw around with now, & a good home defense piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	252354   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	252362   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	252370  

President & founding Member of IACOGDC, Insensitive Asshole Club Of GDC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proudly Banned 1,000,001 times!! GDC world record holder for bannings! Oldfart is mildly retarded, be kind
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_
Rest in peace Mom, you were the best, 3/16/30 - 10/16/15
RIP Brother Bill, 5/28/54-11/25/15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 07:06 PM
AKA Pee Wee Herman

Motorcycle: Street:2018Z125ProKRT Track:2007GSXR600
Re: Finally got around to putting a nice stock on my Mossberg 500

Can you even hold that thing anymore?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Frame Slider Tester

Motorcycle: L1 1K
Re: Finally got around to putting a nice stock on my new/old Mossberg 500

Put the shells in the carrier upside down. If your holding the weapon and need to reload you would rotate it counter clockwise to get access to the feed tube. With the shells like they are now they would be difficult to pull out to load. Upside down they slide out easily for quick reload.

Oh and you better get your boots off on the carpet before your wife sees you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunoco Taz View Post
Can you even hold that thing anymore?
I hold my cane in one hand & the shotgun in the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
Put the shells in the carrier upside down. If your holding the weapon and need to reload you would rotate it counter clockwise to get access to the feed tube. With the shells like they are now they would be difficult to pull out to load. Upside down they slide out easily for quick reload.

I haven't reloaded at all from the shell holder yet. I just got it all together earlier today. Shot a dozen rounds in my back yard to get a bit of a feel for it. I saw online some other people suggested the upside down loads also, & a few disagreed. I had forgotten you suggested that in an earlier thread. I've been a handgun guy forever & but never had a self defense shotgun before. I'll have to try it with the shells upside down. I guess that's why there was no top or bottom to the shell holder, which kind of surprised me.

I'm real impressed with the ATI quality. There were a bunch of negative feedbacks on Amazon that made me nervous about the quality. Turns out they were from meatheads saying it was junk because it has plastic parts & how they stripped & broke screws on this setup. I guess my Glocks are junk too because they are plastic. I was glad there were some normal guys calling the people out for being too ignorant to work on a gun, they were right. Stupid fuckers shouldn't be allowed to own tools! A 3/4" drive ratchet is not a good gun tool. Anyone tearing off screw heads & breaking things on this stock are just too dopey to work on a gun.

Proudly Banned 1,000,001 times!! GDC world record holder for bannings! Oldfart is mildly retarded, be kind
_
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 07:57 PM
I move away from the mic

Motorcycle: 2006 R1 50th
Garage

That is nice. I've never fired a shotgun with a pistol grip, probably wouldn't be too bad though.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for the advice, I had forgotten about what you said earlier in my other thread. Thanks for helping me find this stock also. I switched the shells like you said. It works MUCH better with the shells upside down. The mounting angle I have on the carrier (I did my best to exactly match ATI's original mounting angle & placement) works perfect when you hold the gun upside down by the pistol grip & grab the shells. The angle is way better when upside down to give your fingers more room to grab the brass, much better clearance around the shell ends & I can have a real solid grip on the pistol grip. It also streamlines the vertical profile quite a bit. Double win. The carrier mounting angle seemed odd to me, but when used upside down it makes perfect sense & works very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate_Rain View Post
That is nice. I've never fired a shotgun with a pistol grip, probably wouldn't be too bad though.
Thanks, I like that with the stock full short, you can rest the butt against your side by your hip & play zombie blaster. Pistol grip by itself is not so great, IMO. It's nice to be able to have it both ways with the 6 position stock. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the way ATI makes it, you have a choice of using either the cheek rest, or the shell holder, not both. Took me an hour or 2 to Dremel the shell holder & the underside surface of the cheek rest & drill the cheek rest to get them to work together like I wanted. It was hard to find the fine thread screws with the right heads in the right size to make it nice. I like to try my best to make things look OEM.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	018.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	252434   Click image for larger version

Name:	028.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	252466   Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	252554  

_
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage

I wish I could cap off some rounds in the back yard. I guess I could theoretically but then when the cops roll up, I'd have some 'splaining to do.

Nice set up.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxr313 View Post
I wish I could cap off some rounds in the back yard. I guess I could theoretically but then when the cops roll up, I'd have some 'splaining to do.

Nice set up.
Thanks, it is fun to be able to shoot right here. I blasted around 40 groundhogs from my second floor windows this year. The local Popo Chief has popped a few from my second floor deck. It's really tough hunting, we can hang out & bullshit, watch a movie, listen to music, as long as you keep an eye out towards the back. The first floor main family room has giant windows all around so it makes it real easy to watch. When you see one, you go upstairs & open the slider real quiet & BOOM. Then I toss them on the edge of the property for the turkey vultures & occasionally an eagle to come eat them. Here's a picture below of one eating his free hog lunch just off from the edge of my yard. There are a few hundred acres of farmland bordering my property.

I did learn one hard lesson about shooting from rooms in your house. The small difference in bore elevation between your barrel & scope is more than you might think! Most times I'm shooting out of my second floor master sliding door, braced against the door frame that opens to the balcony deck. The one time I took a shot & I could tell that nothing hit even close to the hog & I knew I had held well & couldn't believe I had a total miss. When I lowered my rifle I saw that I had blasted the corner off of my deck railing! While looking through the scope it appeared everything was fine.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	252450  

_
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 03:39 PM
The Dreaded Midnight Taint Slapper

Motorcycle: 2007 CRF250R
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart01 View Post
An OLD Mossberg 500 I had bought as a defense weapon for my dad years ago when he first retired. He was RV'ing all over the country with my mom & kept it in the RV on their travels. He's 92 now & he said with his health the way it is, & he's stuck in a walker, he didn't want it in the house anymore. He liked it with just the pistol grip. I've never been a big fan of the pistol grip only.

I found this ATI Talon Scorpion collapsible stock on Amazon. It has a nice recoil reduction pistol grip & butt pad. Real nice quality stock. I really like the 2 tone look on the new stock. I thought, at least it's different. I know the 500 is nothing fancy but it's a lot of fun to screw around with now, & a good home defense piece.
I have the same stock on mine. Way more fun to shoot, and way less pain in my wrist.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtfast View Post
I have the same stock on mine. Way more fun to shoot, and way less pain in my wrist.
You're not kidding! Sure beats the hell out of the hard plastic pistol grip.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 06:06 PM
PM me for Brotection

Motorcycle: 01 996 & 06 Monster S2R

Nice. There's nothing wrong with a Mossberg 500. I haven't really used any ATI stuff, so I can't really remark with any absolute accuracy, but I've handled some at gun shows and it felt junky to me.

I like the Speedfeed shotgun stocks, especially for defense guns, but they're not cheap.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

It's new so I can't say how it will be over time, but it appears to be a solid design & feels really well made. The reviews were all good for it, except for some meatheads that said they broke off screw heads & broke things while putting it together. After assembling mine, you had to have been a fucktard to tear this up just putting it together. There's warnings EVERYWHERE in the instructions trying to prevent people from being assholes & breaking shit.

Some of those people need to realize it's a gun, not a bulldozer!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2009 Hayabusa

If you happen to want a new look, a good friend of mine does hydro-dipping...just sayin'.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaBusa View Post
If you happen to want a new look, a good friend of mine does hydro-dipping...just sayin'.

To dip my old saggy nuts, or my gun??
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 09:57 PM
The Dreaded Midnight Taint Slapper

Motorcycle: 2007 CRF250R
Garage

Your nuts. Duhh.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Frame Slider Tester

Motorcycle: L1 1K

Haha. Make them colorful like easter eggs.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Amateur

Quote:
To dip my old saggy nuts, or my gun??
: Oh dear God, why do I even try to be nice

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Haha. Make them colorful like easter eggs.
Colorful thousand year old eggs....hell, it works for Harley.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 05:27 PM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R

Quote:
I hold my cane in one hand & the shotgun in the other.
Put one of these on the muzzle and it can double as a cane

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 05:29 PM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R

Quote:
When I lowered my rifle I saw that I had blasted the corner off of my deck railing! While looking through the scope it appeared everything was fine.

Old buddy of mine did that from a car, cross-drilled the side roll bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode