ar15 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Mr Creepy McCreep

ar15

im wanting to buy an ar my problem is should i do a custom build make it indivivualized for me and how i want it from the get go or buy a prefab (dpms, colt, bushmaster, ect) and then do the custom work. any ideas or comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Mr Creepy McCreep

Re: ar15

the problem is the budget i could probably get away with a piece here and there vs running out and buying a new rifle all together
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: '07 GSX-R 600 in Blue/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlee2989 View Post
the problem is the budget i could probably get away with a piece here and there vs running out and buying a new rifle all together
In that case, your power is self-control and willpower. If you can buy piece by piece over time, then you can save bit by bit over time towards a complete rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Mr Creepy McCreep

would it be cheaper i guess is the question i should've asked to piece and part it together vs a complete rifle
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2006 Suzuki GSXR-750
I say go with a complete rifle. What are you looking to build? A tacticool rifle with lights and lasers and 13 point slings and bottle openers and red dot sights, or a match ready internally upgraded shooter, or just a good all around home defense rifle? If you really want to get into match grade barrels and trigger jobs, etc, id say build it from the ground up. If youre looking to build a military style AR i say buy a used flattop complete rifle and add accessories here and there. I guess what im trying to say is it depends what you want to do with it
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: '07 GSX-R 600 in Blue/Black

Buying piece by piece can be cheaper if you get really good deals, but chances are it will add up to be more.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Mr Creepy McCreep

just something to goof off with don't need lasers but i tac light would be nice to take care of some armadillos occasionally but mostly just to plink with. a buddy of mine has a dpms and that bastard is heavy i don't like the weight of his i would prefer to go lighter so i guess its just about shopping around then
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2006 Suzuki GSXR-750
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlee2989 View Post
just something to goof off with don't need lasers but i tac light would be nice to take care of some armadillos occasionally but mostly just to plink with. a buddy of mine has a dpms and that bastard is heavy i don't like the weight of his i would prefer to go lighter so i guess its just about shopping around then
Sounds like buying a complete rifle would be best. Not sure what they go for nowadays but i picked mine up in 2007 for $800 shipped with over $700 of accessories. Check out gunsamerica.com. Should find a good deal on there for sub-$800
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: '05 750 (RIP)

what is your budget? building your own is usually the more economical route.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Supporting Vendor

Motorcycle: Mummy Bike

Your budget would dictate a lot. Such as do you want DI or piston?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Squid

Motorcycle: K7 GSXR600

Get a lower parts kit from Spikes Tactical and a complete upper from Noveske. The lower is easier to put together, and the main contributing factors to accuracy are the bolt and the barrel. You can't beat Noveske for quality on uppers.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 PM
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...

Motorcycle: Anniversary Edition 600 & 2018 Harley Street Glide
Garage

Stale thread. I'm looking at carbines right now. Most of what I've read points me to the Colt LE6920. You can slowly accessorize. The Bushmaster Superlite Red Dot is a red dot site equipped AR for about $700. But I've heard that they have some durability issues. It's hard to get any real input on guns. Most is either marketing material or individual reviews. Usually, gun owners are bigger brand whores than sportbike riders.

I work with a guy who is a hobby gun smith, ex-military who spent a lot of time in the jungle, and an all around good guy. I'll probably just tell him what I'm after and give him a budget number. I work on his computers all the time, so he'll be happy to set me up right. He's got 2 mil-spec M4s in his gun safe. And when I say mil-spec I mean the real fuckin deal.

From what I've been told, you've really got to do your homework. I just learned tonight that the S&W M&P ARs are outsourced. The only real fact I learned tonight is that I need to talk to a couple different gun stores, my buddy, and do a whole lot more reading.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never mistake education for intelligence.

"Don't go ninjain nobody that don't need ninjain" -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: obviously OG's dogs.
Geek. Bushmaster had a problem with the bolts a while ago. I'm pretty sure that problem has been rectified. Other than that, I own one and a couldn't be happier with it.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 01:07 AM
I dont love OG's cack anymore

Garage

I had a riverarms AR15 with the collapsible stock and I eventually added the forearm grip, the accessory ribbed rail. From there we attached a green dot laser on one side with a grip control and a tactical light on the other side. As far as the scope went we look a long distance scope and mounted it on the top rail with a close quarters holographic mounted on top of the long distance scope. All in all, it was a fun toy to play with in the back yard and let friends and family play around with or just to show off. It was not necessarily needed but it was fun. I had good experiences with the Buschmaster ARs and the Colts. Personally I do not care much for the Colt style.

We bought the gun as stock, and added parts as we came across things we cared to get. Gun shows are a nice place to go to pick up on things versus the nearest gun store.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-21-2012, 07:12 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds5381 View Post
Geek. Bushmaster had a problem with the bolts a while ago. I'm pretty sure that problem has been rectified. Other than that, I own one and a couldn't be happier with it.
I was hearing about more problems than that. Threads stripping, soft materials, etc. This was all based on the superlight. Lightweight materials often sacrifice something else. Still a lot of homework to do.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 09:22 AM

Garage

Ended up buying a Smith and Wesson M&P15 flatop. Went to the gunshow a couple weeks ago, and I've got everything I wanted except a bi-pod and rail moutned light.

Added:
Troy floating forearm
NcStar 4x scope
Liongears 1" riser
Liongears 45 dgree offset rails
Midwest Industries flip-up irons
5 gov't issue surplus mags.
A nice softside case.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-30_20-18-30_170.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	193387
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-30_20-20-38_972.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	193388
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode