H&k mr762 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

H&k mr762

what do you guys know about the Heckler and Koch MR762 and MR556. i've only seen like one place that has one for sale. nevermind the actual HK416
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: I wish...
Re: H&k mr762

Fit and finish are certainly top notch. There's no doubt in my mind that they are utterly reliable. But, they are very front heavy and I'm not personally a fan of piston systems on an AR. Also depending on what you are financially vested in as far as magzines could cause an issue. Unless you absolutely, positively have to have one I would look else where.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

is there somebody else who makes a "knock-off" i guess? if i could get a relatively good one and pay 50-75% of what it looks like an H&K costs i'd be happy.

i like the gas-piston design. that's the whole idea behind buying it. i don't want an AR because it uses a plain gas system. and i'd prefer the 7.62 over the 5.56 of the AR's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Lifetime Premium

The only other AR style rifle in 7.62 I know of with a gas piston operating system is the LWRC REPR and depending on how good of a deal you can find, you're looking at about $3000. I have no idea what the H&K would run you. Based on the prices of the 556, I would assume around $4000-$5000?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: K6 1000

POF makes incredible piston guns and they aren't cheap. I came across an Adams Arms piston kit for an AR cheap and put it on one of my AR's, thing works flawlessly. It is a little nose heavy, but no more than any other tactical AR with equipment. I've shot it at tactical courses where I run 800rds in a 5 hour period and it ran flawlessly. If you do put in a drop in kit, you need to do some things to avoid carrier tilt, POF make buffer tubes and gas keys with rollers.

Of course, you could just buy a SIG556...I have one of those too.

In the immortal words of Colonel Sanders- I'm too drunk to taste this chicken...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom929 View Post
POF makes incredible piston guns and they aren't cheap. I came across an Adams Arms piston kit for an AR cheap and put it on one of my AR's, thing works flawlessly. It is a little nose heavy, but no more than any other tactical AR with equipment. I've shot it at tactical courses where I run 800rds in a 5 hour period and it ran flawlessly. If you do put in a drop in kit, you need to do some things to avoid carrier tilt, POF make buffer tubes and gas keys with rollers.

i fully anticipate a piston gun to be expensive. as you have seen, there's a reason why.

i guess the H&K is like the top of the chart as far as 7.62 piston guns is concerned, i'll look around at some others.

edit: Google brings up Black Rifle Arms and CSC who makes a complete 7.62 piston upper for the AR for ~$1000 give or take depending on what options you want. so if you could find a complete lower for ~$500, you'd have yourself a pretty fucking nice piston 7.62mm AR for less than $2k. that sounds like a plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikslvr750
The only other AR style rifle in 7.62 I know of with a gas piston operating system is the LWRC REPR and depending on how good of a deal you can find, you're looking at about $3000. I have no idea what the H&K would run you. Based on the prices of the 556, I would assume around $4000-$5000?
whos is LWR? i haven't exactly been on the gun scene for years and i'm still working on all the acronyms...

edit: nvm, googled it and realized it's actually the name of the company

i'm actually really liking the CSC arms 7.62 gas-piston AR. and the chamber cover is engraved to say "TALIBAN KILLER"

2006 GSXR 1000
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: 09 GSXR600

Dont associate high price with quality....
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
Dont associate high price with quality....
i dont. but i would expect a 7.62 gas-piston model to be significantly more expensive than a 5.56 gas model when buying a full rifle

as i've seen now with CSC uppers, it actually may not be that much more expensive, if at all, than a standard 5.56 gas design.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom929 View Post

My bad. I forgot all about POF.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: K6 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikslvr750 View Post
My bad. I forgot all about POF.

Don't be so hard on yourself
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Provisional Novice

Which bullet are you talking about? The h$k is a 7.62x 51(nato) the csc uppers i found (just a quick search) were all 7.62x39.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

^whoops. i didn't look closely enough to realize the difference. i guess that might explain the large price difference...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Superbike

Motorcycle: 2006 gsxr750

For the price range of getting a retro-fitted ar-10 with a piston slapped on, I'd be looking at something like the FN SCAR 17. Something designed from the ground up to use a piston.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of reliable, cheap piston kit (adams arms). I'm sure of the manufacturers have some great design ideas with uppers, rails, and bolt carriers that deal with carrier tilt and accuracy issues from piston kits (Adcor Defense BEAR comes to mind for the ar-15, vid below). But if you're looking at one that jacks the gun way up in the price range of a sig 556, XCR, ACR, or SCAR, why not consider one of these guns that isn't trying to do something gun wasn't originally designed for?

Edit: IF you like a gun simply because you think it's a cool gun, then ignore everything I just said. I've been there before...if you think it's fun to own a specific gun just because it's cool, then by all means get it and ignore anyone telling you to get something different. Sometimes I get too caught up in the technical specifications and block out the fun factor of shooting.

Last edited by beanfield; 08-08-2011 at 11:32 AM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Provisional Novice

lol fair enough man. About 6 months ago i probably didnt even know the difference between the two rounds. Ive recently started spending hrs and hrs reading everything i can find on 308(7.62x51) cal rifles. While i cant contribute anything usefull on piston gas systems, for your price range maybe try reading up on m1a, ar10 variants, or fals. I know they arent the gas piston your interested in but these type rifles can get a job done. Not sub moa rifles by any means but lets face it, most things anyone will shoot at with these rifles, hunting or defense will give you a target larger than a quarter at a hundred yards. Plus they are all 308. So you can shoot through walls and cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode