5 Ridiculous Gun Myths Everyone Believes - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
obc
Expert

5 Ridiculous Gun Myths Everyone Believes

http://www.cracked.com/article_18576...#ixzz1MDW3e74b
common knowledge, but a good read none the less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:04 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 09 GSXR600
Re: 5 Ridiculous Gun Myths Everyone Believes

All those things piss me off to no end in movies.

The thing I hate most is when I hear someone click off the safety of a glock in a movie.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:32 PM
SVS
Bearded Viking Admin...

Motorcycle: '08 KTM SuperDuke R, '99 SV650S, '84 XL600R

Name:  Ateam.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  35.7 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Rookie <-- Not a Custom Title

Motorcycle: DRZ-400SM

Awesome.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
obc
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
The thing I hate most is when I hear someone click off the safety of a glock in a movie.
i understand your pain, but there are worse things in life
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 09 GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by obc View Post
i understand your pain, but there are worse things in life
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Professional Baby Maker

Motorcycle: JenJen750

Mythbusters actually just did a test on the movie noises and one of them was the silencer sound and found it Plausible.

I think the episode was on last week. It's the "blow your own sail" episode.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by soysauce021 View Post
Mythbusters actually just did a test on the movie noises and one of them was the silencer sound and found it Plausible.

ya know the funny thing is they shot the cans wet; but didn't use sub-sonic ammo, at least it didn't sound like it to me...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Jesus-On-Skates

Motorcycle: 2014 Aprilia RSV4 Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by soysauce021 View Post

Yeah it actually sounded very similar, not identical, but it was pretty significant, and the "Son of Guns" show does some significant shit with shotgun suppressing. Hell, they even suppressed an AK47 I think by 40% decibal reduction IIRC. Incredible tbh.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Wag
Constantly in trouble now

Motorcycle: '06 Gixxer 1000, Hayabusa

Five reasons to be unable to get into the story of all too many movies.

--Wag--
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: L1 GSXR 750

I think some of the 'facts' on this link are ridiculous.
Silencers are actually pretty effective, just cause they got a link w/ a glock using a low grade one or supersonic ammo.. I wouldn't call that proof. There are a ton of videos demonstrating the effectiveness of them. Silencers are best with Subsonic rounds..
http://youtu.be/vhwWS5sU1tU hk..
http://youtu.be/rNgMkxzeQNE hk..
http://youtu.be/4GYk-eDDqAE ruger silenced vs unsilenced..

Of course some rounds/guns are more quiet than others..

Then the #2, Gratuitous cocking..
They gone on about how the 92FS was made so that you can pull the trigger and the gun will go off without having to cock.. but if you do choose to cock the gun, the trigger pull will be alot lighter, thus, easier pull and more accurate (in most cases.) I don't see why they are hating on this part, I'm not sure if I am misreading something here.
Then they went on about how auto/shotguns were made to slide in a bullet/shell after each shot fired. This is true with rifles, but most shotguns needs to be pumped after each shot. It appears the picture of Jason Stratham (I hate this actor) is holding a pump shotgun.

Correct me if i'm wrong.
Also wouldn't call myth busters a source for facts, some of their tests are questionable.

Last edited by Reguile; 11-22-2011 at 09:53 AM.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

The one that bugs me most often in movies is a semi auto rifle, or even full auto (like an AR15 or M16 etc) going "click click click click" when it "runs out" of ammo.

Uh, it will go "click" once, and then it is only good for a funny shaped bat

That and the total lack of recoil is probably the MOST common. some movies show absolutely zero recoil. The ones that do show recoil usually show very little (probably becuase all that is going off is a primer, or a blank).

It is REALLY bad with handguns, and shotguns. long guns usually arent as bad in movies since they usually also have realistically manageable recoil in real life too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:
:

:
:
:
:
:
:SFH : SBS : VHS :

Coupon code "motojoe" for discount on hazardous racing leathers
2013 WERA National Challenge 3rd place
WERA Expert #20

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 04:24 PM
The Dreaded Midnight Taint Slapper

Motorcycle: 2007 CRF250R
Garage

I think the laser pulses in starwars were going slower than light speed.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Wag
Constantly in trouble now

Motorcycle: '06 Gixxer 1000, Hayabusa

No, they just had very fast cameras.

--Wag--
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: '03 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reguile View Post
Then the #2, Gratuitous cocking..
They gone on about how the 92FS was made so that you can pull the trigger and the gun will go off without having to cock.. but if you do choose to cock the gun, the trigger pull will be alot lighter, thus, easier pull and more accurate (in most cases.) I don't see why they are hating on this part, I'm not sure if I am misreading something here.
Then they went on about how auto/shotguns were made to slide in a bullet/shell after each shot fired. This is true with rifles, but most shotguns needs to be pumped after each shot. It appears the picture of Jason Stratham (I hate this actor) is holding a pump shotgun.
The key word is gratuitous.

They show Glocks and have a cocking sound. Glocks are striker fired and don't have an external hammer, nor do they have a safety to click off.

They show 1911's with the hammer down, then cock the hammer back for effect. A traditional 1911 requires the hammer to be back. They aren't double action/single action, the first trigger pull does nothing if the hammer isn't back.

The shotgun pump is retarded. Why the hell are action hero's running around without a round in the chamber? Every time they mean business they have to put a round in the chamber.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 01:57 PM
The Supermod that wants to see grandma's Snapper....

Motorcycle: WR250R

To me the movie "Wanted" with Angelina Jolie where they bend bullets around people was so fucking ridiculous. That was the only reason I didn't go see the movie. I also laugh at the accuracy people have with handguns using one hand at about 100 yards away with a moving target head shot, through a rear windshield.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: L1 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger View Post
The key word is gratuitous.

They show Glocks and have a cocking sound. Glocks are striker fired and don't have an external hammer, nor do they have a safety to click off.

They show 1911's with the hammer down, then cock the hammer back for effect. A traditional 1911 requires the hammer to be back. They aren't double action/single action, the first trigger pull does nothing if the hammer isn't back.

The shotgun pump is retarded. Why the hell are action hero's running around without a round in the chamber? Every time they mean business they have to put a round in the chamber.
Don't you usually have to cock every handgun though before you fire.. well not HAVE to, but it'll help w/ the first pull on the trigger? Unless you mean the guy is pulling an imaginary external hammer on the glocks that's making the sound.. Keyword is a traditional for the 1911 part, isn't it? I'm not much of a 1911 expert though.

And the hero has to be safe, don't want to run around with a loaded shotgun that's ready to fire, that's how accidents happen. Plus, it kind of scares the bad guys when he cocks it. Don't wanna be rap stars and gangsters do the same thing, they cock it, point it side waaaayz, and put dat shiet up to yo face.. Thought it was in the discovery channel.

As for the WANTED movie post.. yea, I didn't bother watching it. Saw a preview, thought it was pretty retarded. My friend was telling me of a part where a rifle cartridge was propelled by a... propeller?

edit..

Forgot to say, I also hate movies where they don't even understand how a bullet works.. I saw an old movie where the gun projected the bullet w/ the casing still on it.. as if it actually fires that way.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

[quote=Reguile;5414764]Don't you usually have to cock every handgun though before you fire.. well not HAVE to, but it'll help w/ the first pull on the trigger? Unless you mean the guy is pulling an imaginary external hammer on the glocks that's making the sound.. Keyword is a traditional for the 1911 part, isn't it? I'm not much of a 1911 expert though.[quote]. No. Many guns are double action only.

And what I think he is talking about is how EVERY gun when it is drawn from a holster makes a "click click" sound as if a hammer is being cocked, even if there is no hammer.
Quote:
And the hero has to be safe, don't want to run around with a loaded shotgun that's ready to fire, that's how accidents happen. Plus, it kind of scares the bad guys when he cocks it. Don't wanna be rap stars and gangsters do the same thing, they cock it, point it side waaaayz, and put dat shiet up to yo face.. Thought it was in the discovery channel.

As for the WANTED movie post.. yea, I didn't bother watching it. Saw a preview, thought it was pretty retarded. My friend was telling me of a part where a rifle cartridge was propelled by a... propeller?

edit..

Forgot to say, I also hate movies where they don't even understand how a bullet works.. I saw an old movie where the gun projected the bullet w/ the casing still on it.. as if it actually fires that way.
there have been a few movies to do that in what is supposed to be a "slow motion" shot of the bullet flying by or the camera following the round

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

I have also seen a semi auto shotgun have the pump sound when the actor brings the shotgun up to the ready.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 03:05 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: '03 GSX-R600

Quote:
Don't you usually have to cock every handgun though before you fire.. well not HAVE to, but it'll help w/ the first pull on the trigger? Unless you mean the guy is pulling an imaginary external hammer on the glocks that's making the sound.. Keyword is a traditional for the 1911 part, isn't it? I'm not much of a 1911 expert though.
You don't have a cock the gun as an additional step unless it's a single action pistol like the old cowboy revolvers. On a semi-auto, when the slide is pulled back and a round is put in the chamber it gets cocked. If there's a hammer the hammer comes back, if there's a striker it's back and you don't see it. Some guns like a Beretta 92 have a de-cocker. De-cocking the gun still has it in double action mode. You can cock the hammer if you want but the gun will fire if you just squeeze the trigger.

You see in the movies where someone racks the slide to load the chamber. This action cocks the gun, then later if the gun has a hammer they'll re-cock the gun. Why didn't you hear them de-cock the gun after loading it, or why didn't they just leave it cocked?

The first trigger pull weight doesn't mean shit if you know how to smoothly squeeze a trigger. It's a whole 10 lbs on my Sig P239. Revolvers just take practice to learn how to shoot in double action mode. It's not a requirement to cock the hammer each time if it's a double action revolver.

I said traditional 1911 because I expected someone to chime in about Para Ordinance's 1911's if I'd just left it as all 1911's. Para Ords are double action. 99% of the 1911's made are single action and are designed to be carried cocked-and-locked. When you want to shoot with a 1911 you just thumb down the safety. It's more dangerous to carry an unloaded 1911 because the safety immobilizes the slide in addition to the trigger. When the shit hits the fan you don't want be stuck trying to rack the slide with the safety on because that slide isn't going to budge.

Quote:
There's jack shit about firearm safety in the movies. Safety is not the reason why the hero goes around with an unloaded gun. Look close and you'll see how often the actor has their booger hook resting on the trigger. It's a trigger, not a finger rest. The god damn finger stays off the trigger until it's time to shoot. The gratuitous cocking of firearms is done for effect and it's retarded.

Last edited by Winger; 11-25-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode