Who said Guns aren't green? My AR build - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: Y2K1 GSXR 750
Who said Guns aren't green? My AR build

So about a year ago I went to Costco and bought 2 cases of water priced at $4.49 each. I looked at the receipt and realized that I paid $4 in CRV (cash refund value)! WTF?! Seriously?!

That's when I decided to save all cans, bottles, etc. and instead of dumping them into the blue bin for pick up, I started to cash them in once a month. I also got my alcoholic neighbors to save their cans and bottles for me as well.

So I got about $20-$24 each month from recycling, and here is what I turned it into: JD lower with laser engraving - BIG Thanks to those Guys! Daniel Defense lower parts kit as well as mil-spec stock with hardware, and bullet button (not pictured)

And here is what a very good friend of mine hooked me up with. All free!

DD M4v3 upper! I assembled the lower, it was a lot easier than I thought, now I wanna do another one Don't need builders kit or vice. All I used was a small hammer, needle nose pliers, and some electrical tape to mask the surface. To pay for the upper I sold 1000 bucks worth of Hot Wheels, so here it is in all its glory:

Lower assembled

Complete. Note that FVG is not attached, it just came with the upper and pic is just for visual. I never shot it with one mounted on and I forgot to grab it when I went to the range to try it out.

So I assembled the rifle and went to the range. Below are the results. Bear in mind that I am an AR n00b so I suck at this still.

Here it is at 15 yards, standing with no support. Lower group is from my new AR and upper is Mosin. I suck at this at the moment

25 yards, same as before, lower is AR and upper is Mosin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Would come out of the closet - if I could find a skirt to match my blouse.

Motorcycle: '12 S1000RR
Re: Who said Guns aren't green? My AR build

Concentrate on your breathing when you shoot. Your trigger squeeze is pulling a little as well, but get your breathing down first, and your trigger squeeze will come to you in the process.

When you breathe out you should be center mass. Breathe in, breathe out, trigger. You may have to breathe in and out a few times before each shot to make sure you're coming back to center mass each time, but keep at it and you will be good.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 02:32 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: Black K9 750

Also, have you zeroed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 09 GSXR600

If you live in california I really hope your not bringing that anywhere public or your going to be in a shitload of trouble.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Professional Baby Maker

Motorcycle: JenJen750

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
If you live in california I really hope your not bringing that anywhere public or your going to be in a shitload of trouble.
it's fine as long as he has a bullet button installed and a 10 round magazine. And from what I can see he does have one installed.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Expert

Thats a 30 rd mag, pistol grip and collapsable stock. That dosnt even fly in NY.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 07:41 PM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: 06 GSX-R750

Quote:
Thats a 30 rd mag, pistol grip and collapsable stock. That dosnt even fly in NY.
...bayonet lug and flash hider to boot......
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush View Post
Concentrate on your breathing when you shoot. Your trigger squeeze is pulling a little as well, but get your breathing down first, and your trigger squeeze will come to you in the process.

When you breathe out you should be center mass. Breathe in, breathe out, trigger. You may have to breathe in and out a few times before each shot to make sure you're coming back to center mass each time, but keep at it and you will be good.
Thanks for the input, will work on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlefj82 View Post
Also, have you zeroed?
Nope, I need to do that. Obviously I aimed in the center and all the rounds were low. I need to get the front sight tool and play around.

Quote:
Why would I bring it in public other than the range?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soysauce021 View Post
it's fine as long as he has a bullet button installed and a 10 round magazine. And from what I can see he does have one installed.
Yep, all CA compliant.

Quote:
It's a 10/30 mag, meaning that it is permanently blocked and will only hold 10 rounds. Pistol grip indeed. CA law requires any rifle with a pistol grip to have a bullet button, which I have installed.

I had no clue how strict NY is. You have no idea how much people in CA bitch about gun laws. I came here from NJ many years ago where you can't even buy a BB gun, let alone a firearm. Yeah AZ, NM, TX, etc. don't have many restrictions, but people in CA have no idea how much worse it could be.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:33 PM
In the corner, wearing a sailor outfit.

Motorcycle: K4 GSXR 600

I'd mark each 3 round group. That way it's easy to differentiate iterations. And I am assuming you are shooting from a bench. So It's hard to coach body position. However I am assuming it's not a free floating barrel. I can't really tell in the pics, or I could give you my .02 on grip. But I think more importantly to get a good group and zero you have to be consistent. Center the front post inside the rear ring, center the front post on where you want to aim. Once there stack weight on the trigger, until it breaks. Once it has broke keep the trigger to the rear until the weapon has settled from recoil. And then slowly release until the trigger resets. This is called follow through, and it makes a huge difference on grouping. The biggest thing is staying consistent with each aspect of your shot. If you keep changing everything, each group. Then you won't know how to diagnose your shots, and then correct them. Make sure your cheek weld is in the same spot each time, if you have to tape a dime on your stock to place your cheek on then do it. Some guys place there nose on the charging handle. My .02

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Expert

By public I ment the range.

So let me get this straight, you can have any of the "assault weapon" features as long as there is a bullet button?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngandrestless View Post
I'd mark each 3 round group. That way it's easy to differentiate iterations.
Good advice.
Quote:
And I am assuming you are shooting from a bench. So It's hard to coach body position.
Nope, standing up, no support of any kind. One hand on the grip, the other on the rail.

Quote:
However I am assuming it's not a free floating barrel. I can't really tell in the pics, or I could give you my .02 on grip.
It is FF barrel.

Quote:
But I think more importantly to get a good group and zero you have to be consistent. Center the front post inside the rear ring, center the front post on where you want to aim. Once there stack weight on the trigger, until it breaks. Once it has broke keep the trigger to the rear until the weapon has settled from recoil. And then slowly release until the trigger resets. This is called follow through, and it makes a huge difference on grouping. The biggest thing is staying consistent with each aspect of your shot. If you keep changing everything, each group. Then you won't know how to diagnose your shots, and then correct them.
I was very limited on time as I showed up at the SDPD range and asked my former instructors if they would stay few minutes after class they just finished to accommodate me. I just assembled the weapon 2 hours prior to arriving at the range and just wanted to fire off a few shots.

Quote:
Make sure your cheek weld is in the same spot each time, if you have to tape a dime on your stock to place your cheek on then do it. Some guys place there nose on the charging handle. My .02
Another good point to consider, I'll have to try that.

Quote:
By public I ment the range.

So let me get this straight, you can have any of the "assault weapon" features as long as there is a bullet button?
We basically have to follow this flow chart:

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Expert

Im not even going to try to figure that out.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngandrestless View Post
I'd mark each 3 round group. That way it's easy to differentiate iterations. And I am assuming you are shooting from a bench. So It's hard to coach body position. However I am assuming it's not a free floating barrel. I can't really tell in the pics, or I could give you my .02 on grip. But I think more importantly to get a good group and zero you have to be consistent. Center the front post inside the rear ring, center the front post on where you want to aim. Once there stack weight on the trigger, until it breaks. Once it has broke keep the trigger to the rear until the weapon has settled from recoil. And then slowly release until the trigger resets. This is called follow through, and it makes a huge difference on grouping. The biggest thing is staying consistent with each aspect of your shot. If you keep changing everything, each group. Then you won't know how to diagnose your shots, and then correct them. Make sure your cheek weld is in the same spot each time, if you have to tape a dime on your stock to place your cheek on then do it. Some guys place there nose on the charging handle. My .02
*cough* BRM *cough*
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R 750

man sweet setup.. course i went to that site and shit i just fixated my sights on my next piece.. i like your choice..

lot of good advice given to you there and google military BRM download the manual and in no time youll be grouping those shots under a dime. practice some dime washer drills.

god how do i break it to my wife i have to absolutly have one of these
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlefj82 View Post
*cough* BRM *cough*
As in Basic Rifle Marksmanship?
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: K9 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood_Blues View Post
Nope, I need to do that. Obviously I aimed in the center and all the rounds were low. I need to get the front sight tool and play around.

I just use the tip of a .223 round....you can try that if you dont want to wait to pick up a tool!
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 05:51 PM
In the corner, wearing a sailor outfit.

Motorcycle: K4 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtyB View Post
I just use the tip of a .223 round....you can try that if you dont want to wait to pick up a tool!
+1 or a nail
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood_Blues View Post
As in Basic Rifle Marksmanship?
Of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkhard View Post
man sweet setup.. course i went to that site and shit i just fixated my sights on my next piece.. i like your choice..

lot of good advice given to you there and google military BRM download the manual and in no time youll be grouping those shots under a dime. practice some dime washer drills.

god how do i break it to my wife i have to absolutly have one of these
Just google "FM 3-22.9"... it is the US Army's Field Manual on Rifle Marksmanship
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 06:48 AM
Track Day Winner

that is too Cool, I hope the "good friend" got a case of brew or a 1/5 of makers, for the all the Magpul goodies. nice looking DD upper, what rail is that?

happy shooting.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Off to New York to get hitched! Toodle-loo!

Motorcycle: 1987 gsxr 1100/1986 gsxr 750

IHAVE TO SAY GOD BLESS YOU ! 1stA/D elaringen w. germany. fuckin' hooah! Green my ass! God bless our country!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode