Ammunition Prices - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Superbike

Motorcycle: 2006 gsxr750
Ammunition Prices

I have not verified this anywhere else. If anyone has anything to substantiate the below claims, please share.

http://blog.tacticaldefensesolutions...e-answers.aspx

Quote:
Ammunition Increases - Some Answers.......
Over the past couple weeks I've had so many emails questioning the rumored increases in ammunition that I think its a good idea to put this out.

It is NOT a rumor! Both Winchester and Federal have both sent letters regarding the increases:

Dear ATK Ammunition Customer:

I would like to thank you for your continued support of the ATK Ammunition brands.
We are now into 2011 and continue to see unprecedented cost increases for the raw materials that
make up our products. I can assure you that we have invested significant capital to increase productivity and lower costs across all of our facilities. However, we are unable to absorb the rapid increase of these raw material costs.

Due to these historic increases we are forced to raise pricing as follows:
Centerfire Handgun and Rifle 7-15%
Promotional Rimfire 10-15%
Standard Rimfire 5-10%
Shotshell 5-10%
Primers 10%

This increase will apply to any orders shipped after May 1, 2011. The new pricing and
programs will be sent to you in the next few weeks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To All Winchester Ammunition Customers:

On October 29, 2010, Winchester issued a pricing announcement letter with anticipated minimum increases on all shipments beginning April 1, 2011. Since that time the costs of key materials used in the manufacture of ammunition have escalated significantly. Therefore, we are revising our price increases and they will supersede those announced on the October 29, 2010 letter and the price lists distributed on January 14, 2011.

The following price increases will be effective on all shipments beginning
May 1, 2011.

∑ All Lead Shotshell 10%
∑ All Steel Shotshell 5%
∑ Promotional Rimfire 15%
∑ Standard Catalog Rimfire 10%
∑ Promotional/USA CFP and CFR 15%
∑ Super-X CFP and CFR 12%
∑ Black Box CFP and CFR 7%
∑ Component Brass & Bullets 10%
∑ All Primers 10%

Revised programs and price lists will be issued by March 1, 2011.

Winchester will continue to monitor the cost of commodities closely and provide you notice if there is a need for additional price increases in 2011.

Thank you for your business and continued support of Winchester Ammunition.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that answers that - indeed there will be an increase in the cost of ammunition. One HELL OF AN INCREASE actually given the fact that there are 2 percentage increases each year, every year.
This is above and beyond those. The Winchester letter states it best.

Those of us on the inside (so to speak) are left scratching our heads. Yes, the cost of metals and the like has gone up. However in light of the regular bi-annual increases it leads one to wonder if this additional percentage increase is warranted.

Add to this the lack of production or rather "availability" of anything worth having and it could make one begin to wonder.

Local departments who ordered duty ammunition early summer '10 are being told by the factory that they can expect production to begin November this year. Keep in mind were not talking exotic caliber - 230gr .45.

Yes, the shelves at Walley World are now stocked back up and to the common folk, all is good with the world. I can assure you that for those who require something beyond Winchester White Box or a 550 pack of squirrel killers, the supply situation is worse than it has ever been.

Thread after thread have the armchair experts posting charts showing cost of copper, lead, zinc over time. Some are touting the "drop in ammunition prices" over the last couple months as if somehow this non fact in relation to the increase makes some sense.

First I think we all realize that for the most part the forums are about the last place you ever want to data mine for factual answers. Most of the experts there are the epitome of the definition of expert I learned long ago "ex - a has been", "pert - a drip under pressure".

Second, the price drop is two fold. Originally when the hording hit, there were those that sought to profit from the insanity, jacking prices past reasonable. This died out when the rest of us held the line.
Then there were shortages in product and distributors were squeezed pretty tight and had no choice but to pay higher prices to get in stuff. The prices got passed along to us and then to you.
So yeah prices have stabilized, not dropped. Any drop from insanely high to reasonable isn't a price drop.

Bottom line folks, prices are going up and availability of anything worth having is at an all time low.

Last edited by beanfield; 02-24-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 09 GSXR600
Re: Ammunition Prices

Its scarce as is and already super expensive. I have a gut feeling something is happening behind the scenes to make it hard for us to get ammo.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Squidward Q. Tentacles, the Flaming Rainbow Spunk Catcher

Motorcycle: 2011 ZX-10R & 2006 GSX-R1000

i have a 300 remington ultra mag. i already pay $70 for 20 rounds. this is gay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Superbike

Motorcycle: 2006 gsxr750

I'm guessing a lot of things are driving this, but they're all wild guesses: sudden increase in demand, increasing difficulty with regulations, competition from overseas manufacturers, increase in price of metals
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 08:58 AM
PM me for Brotection

Motorcycle: 01 996 & 06 Monster S2R

The last e-mails I've gotten show sale prices low than they've been in years.

But everything that goes into ammo is going up in price, from the brass, lead, and copper to the chemicals that'll be used to make priming compounds and propellant, to the energy they need to make everything.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage

I normally shoot anywhere from 3-400 rounds per session (at least once a week if not more.) I'm going to have to cut back for sure as I'm going to have to purchase components for reloading soon (last time I bought anything was pre-Obama) and have been in "sticker shock" over current pricing.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 09 GSXR600

I have honestly stopped myself from buying some firearms recently because of the cost it would be to shoot them. If I dont reload for it or if I dont have components to reload that caliber it isnt bought.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Wag
Constantly in trouble now

Motorcycle: '06 Gixxer 1000, Hayabusa

I load for everything and I'm about to start casting. Still, it's going to suck that primers are going to cost more.

--Wag--
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: GSXR1K : VTX1800C

Fortunately I saw it coming a long time ago and am pretty well stocked!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reload5.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	156434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reload8.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	156435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reload1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	156436  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgo View Post

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Who Knows...Ask Who

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 750 06 VTX1300R But Still missing my 98 GSXR 750

Quote:
Can I stay over for a few months once it thaws out over there?

Nice set up.I've been saving brass for years, but never bought a press. Been looking hard at the 650XL, but something else always ends up in the safe before I pull the trigger on the setup sucking up the $$$$. Besides, the wife can't visually see into the safe, but a press set up in the shop & it would be....Where did that come from?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 11:08 PM
AMS
Fresher than 1000 virgins

Got any 223 you are willing to sell? My mother works at Winchester,I'll ask to see what exact rate increases are.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Track Day Winner

if your looking for ammo try "the-armory", their ammo shipped is cheaper than I can find locally

.223 PMC FMJ Boat-tail, new brass is $289\1000 rds, if you can shoot wolf, it's even less.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Track Day Winner

Quote:
damn, I hope you got one hell of a fire suppression system in that house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode