Need some opinions. - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Motorcycle: 09 GSXR600
Need some opinions.

The only pistol I have right now is a G17. I am looking to get a .45 because I like them much better and have narrowed it down to three choices. I have never even shot a 1911 so I am looking at getting a RIA 1911 to get to know the platform. I have shot a G21 and love it and know it would never let me down but I already have a glock. The third that I just found out about is a FNH FNP .45, I have always wanted something made by FNH and it looks like the pistol is a glock/1911 lovechild so I get both out of it.

So if you only had a G17, would you buy a RIA 1911, G21, or FNP .45?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: GSX-R 750 K6 yel/blk, SV650SK7 trackbike
Re: Need some opinions.

The practical person would say that if you plan on any self-defense use for these pistols you should get the Glock, that way you have to learn only one platform with the same manual of arms.

The less practical person like myself would say f*ck it and pick the one you most like. The 1911 is a classic, noone would fault you for wanting one and the FN is relatively new but the early word I've seen is that it's about as good as any other FN product - which is pretty darn good.

Been meaning to get a .45 myself since all I have are .40s, 9s, a .380 and a .22 so far for pistols - money's in other things right now though but I'd love an HK45 myself or a nice 1911, maybe a Doublestar.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: I wish...

Only based on your 3 choices, I would go for the Glock 21. What did you plan to use it for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Just plinking and if it turns out to be more reliable then my G17 then it will turn into my main self defense firearm but main purpose is plinking.

Edit: Actually what one would you choose for plinking and what one would you choose for self defense?

Last edited by sbombard15; 01-07-2011 at 04:56 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 12:49 AM
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
Just plinking and if it turns out to be more reliable then my G17 then it will turn into my main self defense firearm but main purpose is plinking.

Edit: Actually what one would you choose for plinking and what one would you choose for self defense?
for plinking, the Rock Island, purely based on cost vs the FNP & Glock. For Carry or HD, It really would depend on how you Carry or store the weapon; C&L or Empty Chamber.

if you want to carry or store C&L, then do you prefer a Manual Safety (FNP & RIA), De-cocking function (I'm Sure someone makes a .45 with this), or just pull and squeeze (Glock)

really depends on what your preference is, I wanted a balance of cost (in case it was ever stolen from car or bed side drawer) and features (Hi Capacity, reliability, Manual Safety, De-cocker, and good ergo) for my everyday carry\HD weapon (9mm).

good luck!

Last edited by Stallwle; 01-09-2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: more info
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Who Knows...Ask Who

Motorcycle: 2007 GSXR 750 06 VTX1300R But Still missing my 98 GSXR 750

Like all pistols, it comes down to personal preference. I'm a 1911 guy and have a few, but would always make room for another one. Out of that list, I would choose the FNP 45. Unfortunately this is not available in Kommifornia as of yet. The pistol world is one filled with bias and opinions. Such a lighting rod for opinions are Glocks. Many like them, I do not. While I will not bash them, I feel for my personal preferences there are better choices. It all comes down to what you like and what feels good to you.

$.02 YMMV

2007 Blue/White GSXR 750
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pass pegs & reflectors removed the minute it hit the garage. Cut fender, frame & axle sliders

06 VTX 1300R

98 B/W GSXR750 W/ Frame Sliders,Swing arm Spools,PCII,CCT,AirBox,TRE,PAIR Removed,K&N,Full Yosh RS-3 Race Sys,180 M-1,Flush mounts,tailight integrator, cut rear fender, cut bungee hooks, Hel SS lines, & NO FRICKEN CHICKEN STRIPS Screwed up & sold it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Expert

Thanks for the info guys. Been doing some thinking and if I buy a 1911 I have always wanted a colt so I think I will hold off until I can afford one.(yes I know, the brand you have is better). I have been reading reviews of the fnp and have been reading very bad things so I am 90% sure I am going with the G21 because I know I like it, it fits my hand well, and know its reliable.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
Thanks for the info guys. Been doing some thinking and if I buy a 1911 I have always wanted a colt so I think I will hold off until I can afford one.(yes I know, the brand you have is better). I have been reading reviews of the fnp and have been reading very bad things so I am 90% sure I am going with the G21 because I know I like it, it fits my hand well, and know its reliable.
Have you fired a G30 or G36?
Can you carry in the state you live in? the G21 is a large Pistol and can be a pain to carry some times.
I Carry my G30 90% of the time loaded and one in the pipe. The safety is on the trigger. and it won't go off unless my finger is on it. Proven fact.

I have a G27 and G30. Wife is getting a G19 (soon I hope)

If you are just plinking why get 45? the cost of ammo is twice the cost of 9mm

I have near 2000 rounds in my G30 and I have never had a problem with it. No jams nothing,

this is just my opinion though. Your money your gun

Have you looking into the new Springfield XD(M)'s? I hear nothing but good things about them.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Expert

Deffinity not for carry. I live in NY.

I choose .45 because I like it more and can shoot it better then my 9mm for some reason. I dont consider the Springfield or S&W because if I get a polymer gun it will be a glock.

Last edited by sbombard15; 01-10-2011 at 10:38 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2007 GSX-R 750

Buy a Sig P220 the first time. You'll keep it forever and thank me later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode