Need advice/opinions - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Sirijus Indelxsjul Diskushuns Onley

Need advice/opinions

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. About 6 years ago I was really starting to get into guns and saved some money for an AK. I has just got back from Iraq and I wanted one, plus AR's were a little too pricey for me at the time. I bought a nice looking Romanian WASR-10 but didn't realize until I got home that it only took the 5 or 10 round mags. I know, what a dumb ass, but like I said I was new to this. I tried to turn around and sell it soon after buy nobody really wanted it and the ones that did offered me crazy low prices. So last year I found a web page that showed how to dremmel the magazine well to allow for the high cap mags. Let's just say I'm not really happy with the result.

I ended up having to pawn the gun for an emergency (got $300). Now I'm thinking instead of getting it our of pawn, I'd rather just let them keep it but I'm worried about the job I did on the magazine well. I would just assume buy another one that's the kind I wanted in the first place but I don't know the repercussions of what could happen if I leave it with the pawn shop. I never put the US made parts to make it legal after opening the mag well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, and of course feel free to flame on the post-ban purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtfast View Post
The rest of your post that I didn't quote is retarded. Try again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Re: Need advice/opinions

On a side note: My uncle ended up giving me a nice AR-15 and a Colt Trooper Mark III a few months later, and my father-in-law gave me a new Savage .243 w/scope for Christmas that year. Needless to say I got a pretty quick start to my gun collection.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Superbike

Motorcycle: 2006 gsxr750

Is it the same Century Arms WASR-10 described as "WASR-10 LO-CAP ROMANIAN AK RIFLE" here? It was my understanding that Century Arms imports them and makes them 922 compliant. That link claims the lo-cap version is the same as the standard capacity version...just without the magwell trimmed. On most they modify the magazine well to accept standard capacity magazines (30 round) for states that don't have capacity bans...and on others they leave magazine well slim to only accept neutered, low capacity magazines (10 round) for states that do have capacity bans.

It was my understanding that Century Arms puts the compliance parts on all their weapons (whether they open the mag well or not). There's some more info here. I'd call Century Arms and get the skinny on your rifle.

That being said, if you can't find out for sure on the legalities...I personally wouldn't take the risk. I'd do whatever I could to find out for sure the legalities before leaving it to be sold at a pawn shop. I don't think you're going to spend a bazillion years in a federal pound me in the ass prison....but there is the possibility of getting a slap on the wrist felony in which you can't legally own a gun again.

Last edited by beanfield; 10-05-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I guess it's possible that it's a Century Arms one but I guess I'll have to call them to find out. Can they look up the S/N to check?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Superbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bojangles View Post
Thanks for the input. I guess it's possible that it's a Century Arms one but I guess I'll have to call them to find out. Can they look up the S/N to check?

Only one way to find out.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

They said my S/N doesn't match their records. I didn't think it would since there's a bayonet lug on it and it says theirs doesn't have one.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Superbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bojangles View Post
They said my S/N doesn't match their records. I didn't think it would since there's a bayonet lug on it and it says theirs doesn't have one.
Sorry man, I'm not very familiar with 922(r) requirements. It was my understanding that 922(r) compliance passed down in 1990 is required for any post ban ak that's imported...and only if you want to add some stuff like a bayonet lug, pistol grip, muzzle device, etc... I thought the magazine capacity ban was part of the Clinton gun ban in 1994. If that's the case then the magazine modification shouldn't be a problem as the requirements under the Clinton gun ban expired in 04.

I'm just speculating. I really don't know enough to tell you with any degree of certainty. There's more details here: http://clintongunban.com/FactSheets....a=Fact%20Sheet Hopefully someone with more direct knowledge can chime in.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 2007 GSX-R 750

The Pawn shop should have it checked before resale. They will dress up your butched conversion and you shouldn't have to worry about anything. Unless the guy at the shop is a total tard it's common practice to check for 922. When they agree to give you the 300 for it they took responibility for the condition of what they bought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode