Just bought a new XD(m) .40 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600
Just bought a new XD(m) .40

I'm going to pick it up from the FFL in about an hour. I got the compact in all black - i'll get pics up tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 09 GSXR600
Re: Just bought a new XD(m) .40

Let us know how you like it. Im a glock guy but the new xdm's look nice.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Moose Knuckle Racing!

Motorcycle: GSXR750k8

love my xd 40 sc. I shot the normal and like feel of the sc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

here's a pic - it's been rainy so i'm not gonna be shooting it for a few days atleast

comes up to aim real nice though - next paycheck i'm going to get a viridian laser/light combo and then i should be set besides stocking up on some ammo!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62446_567516590700_65901296_32662676_5150875_n.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	146343  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Moose Knuckle Racing!

Motorcycle: GSXR750k8

Don't use fiocchi ammo becuase it jams the XD's. My gun hats it.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Amateur

noted...i just bougth some winchester 100pk for 30 bucks...it's about the best deal I've found here locally. The internet natchez ss has blaser aluminum for $13 for 50pk but it's like 15 to ship, so I'm just going to keep an eye out and buy it up when it comes back into stock @ walmart.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

wow this justifies this purchase instantly:

https://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...226&highlight=

i just posted the article in the paper from today, if you dont feel like reading it all just read my first post and my last.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Superbike

Motorcycle: 2006 gsxr750

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedesnake48 View Post
wow this justifies this purchase instantly:

https://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...226&highlight=

i just posted the article in the paper from today, if you dont feel like reading it all just read my first post and my last.
Damn...that's f'd up. I'd be sure and keep that garage door closed.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

finally got to shoot it yesterday. shot 200 rds through it out on the back 40

I was happy with the way that it comes to point of aim. It feels natural pulling it out of a holster and double tapping, and is easy to get on target going from target to target.

I dont have anything to compare it too besides rifle triggers, but it does feel like it could use some improvement on the trigger. While not terrible I think there is def. room for improvement. I've been reading about some trigger kits, but @ $100 I can wait until after I get my laser/light combo setup.

I was happy with the sights as well. I dont think I'll be dickign with switching to night sights anytime soon.

Lastly, as I've read, it is a bit snappy. I dont know if this is the light weight, .40 caliber, or because it's the 3.8" barrel. I've shot a friends XD in .45acp and it seems to be a little softer (which also I've read is just the differences in calibers)

I also took my fiance and we shot some shampoo bottles filled with water and soup cans. I was really surprised to see how well she did. Not only that I'm glad to see that she is interested in shooting in the future - you could tell she was having fun the entire time, especially when the cans went flying in the air. We also found a bullet that was stuck in the backstop, so it was good for her to see what the projectile looks like.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Expert

Garage

What are the major differences between the XD and the XD(M)
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazen244 View Post

The M models have a bunch of upgrades that start with M

I jsut cant recall them all

One was match barrel.
One is more capacity
I think the back strap is different
It comes with more accessories (case, mag pouch, holster etc)

Not sure what else. Google will tell ya though.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Lifetime Premium

the Xds and XDm are both nice guns. good shooters too.

They just dont fit into my arsenal anywhere really.

For a carry gun, they are too bulky for me. I use my Kahr .40cal for that.
For a winter carry even, my taurus milpro 9mm has similar capacity as the XD, but is smaller, and is much smalller than the XDm
For home defense though, they are too small. Id rather have a full size (more accurate) and high capacity, or a shotgun of course.

For a range gun same as above. Compactness makes it not a great range gun. Full size is more suited to it.

They just fall in the "middle" somewhere that doesnt fill any need I have. If I had money to burn though, it would be one of many guns Id probably have

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:
:

:
:
:
:
:
:SFH : SBS : VHS :

Coupon code "motojoe" for discount on hazardous racing leathers
2013 WERA National Challenge 3rd place
WERA Expert #20

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Superbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazen244 View Post
Biggest difference for most people is the magazine capacity. My XD 4" service model holds 12+1 40S&W and 16+1 9mm. The XDm 9mm holds 19+1 and the 40S&W holds 16+1. Some of the other advantages to the XDm are; short reset trigger, no need to pull the trigger to disassemble, the takedown lever has a removed notch so the slide can't get scratched, revised/enhanced grip design, interchangeable backstraps, "match grade" barrel, and more machine work on the slide (revamped serrations tapered contour). The barrel lengths in the XDm line also fit somewhere between the full size and tactical as well as the tactical and subcompact.

IIRC
XD tactical - 5" barrel
XD service - 4" barrel
XD sub compact - 3" barrel
XDm - 3.8" or 4.5"
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Lifetime Premium

I forgot to mention the "snapiness"

Yes it is caliber. of the common semi auto calibers, .40 is the harshest probably. Its perceived recoil is more than a .45 in teh same type of gun for sure. I hesitate to call it common, but the only one more snappy IMO is the 10mm....... but again, it is not really common. When I say common I basically mean .22lr .380auto, 9mm luger, .40s&w, .45acp....... and you can add in there semi common now .357sig.

This is not couting revolver rounds, as that is not apples to apples.

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Amateur

i really wanted to have a .357 sig, as i do feel it's one of the best self defense rounds - but i couldnt accept the fact that ammo would be just about double that of .40sw

and i'd never shoot it if that were the case. I'd always be thinking of how much $$ i was blowing lol
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Superbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedesnake48 View Post
i really wanted to have a .357 sig, as i do feel it's one of the best self defense rounds - but i couldnt accept the fact that ammo would be just about double that of .40sw

and i'd never shoot it if that were the case. I'd always be thinking of how much $$ i was blowing lol
If you ever change your mind...it's just a barrel swap. http://www.efkfiredragon.com/proddet...prod=XDM357SBC
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Superbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
the Xds and XDm are both nice guns. good shooters too.

They just dont fit into my arsenal anywhere really.

For a carry gun, they are too bulky for me. I use my Kahr .40cal for that.
For a winter carry even, my taurus milpro 9mm has similar capacity as the XD, but is smaller, and is much smalller than the XDm
For home defense though, they are too small. Id rather have a full size (more accurate) and high capacity, or a shotgun of course.

For a range gun same as above. Compactness makes it not a great range gun. Full size is more suited to it.

They just fall in the "middle" somewhere that doesnt fill any need I have. If I had money to burn though, it would be one of many guns Id probably have
I really had the same issues as you with the XD. My first gun was that "service" xd I bought and the only reason I got it was because I really dislike glock grips and for what I was going to use it for, they both were equally suited with the XD being cheaper. The XD is a heavy gun...and for me their subcompacts just aren't small enough (mostly due to the overall width of the gun and the height of the slide). A lot of other competitors offer similar or better functionality in a smaller package. I think they make a great service gun (outside the hip holster for security, military, or police), a great target/range gun, or a great night stand gun. I think the XDm really is better for all of those roles.

How's the kahr working out for you?
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Lifetime Premium

Kahr has been flawless with thousands of rounds through it . Loving it.

It takes a slightly different hold than my MilPro, so when I shoot the two back to back I hit a few in right with the kahr, and a few in low wiht the MilPro. But when I practice with only it, it is accurate as can be.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Superbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Joe View Post
Kahr has been flawless with thousands of rounds through it . Loving it.

It takes a slightly different hold than my MilPro, so when I shoot the two back to back I hit a few in right with the kahr, and a few in low wiht the MilPro. But when I practice with only it, it is accurate as can be.
I never liked the trigger on my dad's millenium pro's (one in 9mm and one in 45). They both seemed to be very loose at the beginning of the trigger pull. Both the milpro and Kahr had a long trigger pull, but the Kahr's seem to be so much more consistant through the entire pull.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

With the mil pro it is due to the second strike ability (which the kahr does not have).

With the mil pro, the trigger does not have to cock the striker at all. So the trigger has a LOT of takeup on it. But if you get a hard primer, or light strike, the trigger then is a long pull double action trigger.

The kahr, the slide half cocks the striker, and the trigger cocks it the rest of the way double action style. So there is less takeup, and it is more consistant feeling. It does have a little takeup, but very little by comparison. Due to the Double action of the Kahr, the trigger is a bit heavier too though. But it is smooth with no stacking up or anything so it is pretty much a non issue

:
:

:
:
:
:
:
:SFH : SBS : VHS :

Coupon code "motojoe" for discount on hazardous racing leathers
2013 WERA National Challenge 3rd place
WERA Expert #20

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode