shipping a pistol between states - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
obc
Expert

shipping a pistol between states

someone who has done this could hopefully chime in here

what kind of paperwork do you receive?, can you track your shipment like a regular post item?
it is quite an expensive and dangerous item, so i would think they would make the process different
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Superbike

Motorcycle: 2006 gsxr750
Re: shipping a pistol between states

Quote:
Originally Posted by obc View Post

what kind of paperwork do you receive?, can you track your shipment like a regular post item?
it is quite an expensive and dangerous item, so i would think they would make the process different
You can't ship a handgun via USPS. UPS will make you ship over night (expensive). Your local FFL has more shipping options...my local FFL shipped my handgun I sold on gunbroker to the purchaser's FFL for half the price of it would cost me to ship on my own. I assume this is a sale and you're shipping to an FFL?

check this link for info on legalities and shipping http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/Sup...spx?faqid=1118

Last edited by beanfield; 09-27-2010 at 07:54 AM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: 09 GSXR600

I believe UPS is the only carrier that will do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 12:20 PM
World Supersport

Motorcycle: your mama

Quote:

did you sell it or are you getting work done to it?

you have to ship it next day air unless you are a dealer. to a gunsmith however you may be able to get away with ground shipping it. if its to a person you sold it to it must be shipped to an FFL. get them to fax their license to you to verify before shipping
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
obc
Expert

ok thanks

i am sending it to my brother
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Il Padre Guinnea

Motorcycle: K8 600

Ups
Whole gun next day air only.
Frames are considered a firearm.
Must be shipped to an ffl dealer.
Parts can go ground but not all the parts to assemble it in one package.
Shipping it from ffl to ffl is cheapest and cost is usually around $20 cause as a shipping account you recieve a discounted rate.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Il Padre Guinnea

Directly from ups.com official site for future reference:

Shipping Firearms

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).
UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)
UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment.
Firearms, including handguns, and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally.
UPS ReturnsSM Services are not available for packages containing firearms.

Follow These Packing Requirements
Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages being delivered to UPS.
Ammunition cannot be included in packages that contain firearms (including handguns). Ammunition must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials.
Small arms ammunition, as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59, will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 regarding hazardous materials shipments.
All firearms are to be shipped in new corrugated packaging which meets the UPS Single Wall Box Strength Guidelines. Medium and large UPS boxes may be used for smaller shipments being shipped via UPS Express service.
All firearms are to be packaged in accordance with UPS Packaging Guideline Specifications.

About Documentation and Labeling
The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.
The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments should not describe the contents. Labeling must be non-descript including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document.

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS
You can only ship your package that contains a handgun from UPS daily pickup accounts or through UPS Customer Centers (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Handguns are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at The UPS Store® or any third party retailer.
When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
You can ship a firearm (excluding handguns), from a UPS daily pickup account, UPS On-Call Pickup, One-Time Pickup, or a UPS Customer Center. Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jayden Justin
07/30/2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Il Padre Guinnea

Sticky icky
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
obc
Expert

i thought i should update this thread.
i shipped the pistol (eventually) and it was never delivered.
Shipped from dealer to dealer. Fedex confirmed delivery, dealer said they never received it.
Its been an ongoing process... still waiting the results.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Wag
Constantly in trouble now

Motorcycle: '06 Gixxer 1000, Hayabusa

That sux. Hope you can track it down.

--Wag--
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Unstable SuperMod

Motorcycle: 92 GSX-R 750R Liquid

Quote:
i thought i should update this thread.
i shipped the pistol (eventually) and it was never delivered.
Shipped from dealer to dealer. Fedex confirmed delivery, dealer said they never received it.
Its been an ongoing process... still waiting the results.
FedEx should have a signature or name at the time of delivery.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
obc
Expert

they have the name of the dealer, saying it was delivered, yet the dealer says they never received it.
its insured, but they have to investigate it, then come to the conclusion it is lost, then wait a few more months before they can give me a check.
hopefully i have something to show before 2012.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Wag

Months? They should be much faster than that.....

--Wag--
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR 600 Racebike

That sucks.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
obc
Expert

its between two states, and its certainly not a priority from either dealer, even though it should be one of their highest priorities.
Some one has my pistol, MY fucking pistol.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
obc
Expert

update:
they were unable to locate the pistol, so they are replacing it.
they did not give me a choice, i couldn't argue this. Id love the pistol back, but money would've been better.
Happy to have something to show.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: I wish...

Glad to hear you are at least getting something.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
obc
Expert

it was insured, so i wasnt sweating it. i was just pissed they took a long time to decide it was missing
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: K6 GSX-R 1000

Quote:

I've been in this trade for almost 20 years.

Shipping firearms across state lines 101:

1. An FFL (Federal Firearms Licensee) is required somewhere in the transaction.

-In this case, if you wish to ship your firearm to another state for whatever reason, service, repair, a sale, trade, etc, YOU are in violation of the law if you do not send it to an FFL in good standing. That can be a gun shop, gunsmith, whatever. They take custody of it and log it into what's called an "A/D" book. Acquisition and Disposition log.

If it were a shop putting a new sight on it for instance, they'd log it in, do the work, and send it back to you. No sweat.

If you sold/traded it, the person who you did business with, will come in, submit a 4473 NICs background check, state/local requirement, and then go about his/her business.

You cannot legally send the item directly to someone who does not possess the license outside of your state. Within the same state is a little different and it can vary from state to state so you must do your own research to ensure you're compliant.

If you own two homes, say one in S. Dakota and another in Nebraska and you wish to ship a gun back and forth you are still supposed to go through an FFL. I know this area of the law is often ignored. I don't propose you do this as you are taking measures into your own hands. Use your own good judgement.

As for couriers/services.

UPS will ship firearms, however the company policy is that it must go to an FFL if crossing state lines. YOU will be required to show a copy of the license when at the counter. Obtaining the copy is easy enough. Contact the dealer you are going to send it to and they'll either FAX or email it to you. The physical address listed on the license is where the item must be shipped to.

Additional requirements as to the type of service you retain by UPS/FED X/ETC is up to them. Most do require an overnight requirement with handguns because they are thought of as plutonium. They don't want them in their system any longer than absolutely necessary and the chain of custody between start/finish is minimized with overnight air bills. this makes it easier for them to keep track of it.

The spirit in all of this:

Anyone who spends more than 10 minutes on Social Media will likely run into some sort of posting about gun rights and pictures of Nazi Germany. Catch phrases like "gun registration is the first step" etc...

In America, the FFL is the "registration" so to speak. When a crime is committed with a firearm, the BATF and LE go on an easter egg hunt to find out where the gun came from. They pull a serial and go to the manufacturer, the manufacturer tells who the distributor was, then the retail outlet, etc...

That is a service provided as a byproduct of having the license. It is one of the reason why we must submit to compliance audits (up to one per year) by the BATF inspectors.

Anyways, hope this helps.

C.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 04:03 PM
Wag

Necro thread resurrection.

--Wag--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode