6.5 grendel spr optics recommendation - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Superbike

Motorcycle: 2006 gsxr750
6.5 grendel spr optics recommendation

I finally got done with my 6.5 grendel SPR build and am in need of a scope. This is my first long range rifle and I'm just looking to shoot long range as a hobby (no competitions or anything at this point).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0077.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	146091

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0076.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	146090

I was able to find this nikon monarch 8-32x50 w/ bdc reticle for just over $600 NIB. I'm really trying not to break the $700 barrier at this point. Does anyone have any feedback on this scope relevant to my application or another recommendation close to the same price point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:34 PM
Expert

Motorcycle: 09 GSXR600
Re: 6.5 grendel spr optics recommendation

I may be biased but my family and I only buy leupold. Like anything in the firearms industry you get what you pay for.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Superbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
I may be biased but my family and I only buy leupold. Like anything in the firearms industry you get what you pay for.
If I had the $ I'd do it in a heart beat. This is what I really want to get. http://www.leupold.com/tactical/prod...illum-reticle/

The problem is that it's double my budget and being a relative newbie to long range shooting, I'm not exactly sure what I'd get over the nikon. As long as I can see the target with the nikon...and it holds a zero...I think I'll be happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Supersport

Motorcycle: 2008 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanfield View Post
If I had the $ I'd do it in a heart beat. This is what I really want to get. http://www.leupold.com/tactical/prod...illum-reticle/

The problem is that it's double my budget and being a relative newbie to long range shooting, I'm not exactly sure what I'd get over the nikon. As long as I can see the target with the nikon...and it holds a zero...I think I'll be happy.
And you would be very happy i promise. Ive had a Nikon Monark on my 30-06 for a few deer seasons now and every season i go to sight in my rifles and this one NEVER needs adjusting. Ive even hit the same bullet hole on a target before Not to mention the clarity of the optic and how much light it pulls in. I literally can look through this scope before dawn and see more clearly.Its a GREAT scope and i would buy it again! hope this helps
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Superbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzup76020 View Post
And you would be very happy i promise. Ive had a Nikon Monark on my 30-06 for a few deer seasons now and every season i go to sight in my rifles and this one NEVER needs adjusting. Ive even hit the same bullet hole on a target before Not to mention the clarity of the optic and how much light it pulls in. I literally can look through this scope before dawn and see more clearly.Its a GREAT scope and i would buy it again! hope this helps
Definitely...I appreciate the input. I'll most likely be picking it up sometime the beginning of next month.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Supersport

Motorcycle: 2008 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanfield View Post
Definitely...I appreciate the input. I'll most likely be picking it up sometime the beginning of next month.

how far are you going to start shooting? I refuse to deer hunt with a rifle now unless its over 200 yards
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Tambouriner

Motorcycle: K8 GSXR 1000 - street, K3 GSXR750 - track

You build from scratch? Who made your upper and lower?

I have a Spike's lower I need to complete one of these days and I'm contemplating a rig like that.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Superbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally beast View Post
You build from scratch? Who made your upper and lower?

I have a Spike's lower I need to complete one of these days and I'm contemplating a rig like that.
Yeah, I'm too cheap to buy a built one. Plus I like the idea of getting exactly what I want and I just get a couple parts here and there when I get $. None of it is terribly fancy...mostly just purpose built.

Upper: DPMS Lo-Pro slick side

Lower: Essential Arms (it was laying around from bunch I had ordered)

Barrel: Alexander Arms 24" (includes 6.5 grendel bolt)

Handguards: Alexander Arms XL Composite Free Float

Trigger: Alexander Arms single stage tactical trigger

Lower Parts Kit: DPMS

Gas Block: JP Enterprises adjustable gas block

Stock: magpul prs

Bolt Carrier: Smith Enterprises Chrome

Muzzle Brake: Primary Weapons Systems FSC

The one thing I'd change if I could do it all over....is to get a reciprocating side charging handle as I don't have forward assist on my slick side upper. You just gotta be sure and keep your hands away from it during firing...like with an ak-47. I could have someone mill the upper, but it would kinda be a pita to do it now.

Name:  side_charging_handle_set_up__1.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  18.4 KB

Last edited by beanfield; 09-24-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode