AR-15 .22LR Conversion, thoughts? - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Funkyzeit mit Gavveth! Needs a stiff Ass Blasting.

Motorcycle: K2 GSX-R 750, 1980 Yamaha XJ 650, 08 GSXR 1000
AR-15 .22LR Conversion, thoughts?

my Ar hates me because everytime I think about shooting I think about the TD I could have instead. Its been almost a year since I took it to the range, was thinking about doing to bolt conversion to .22LR so I can go to the local indoor range and rip through a bunch of round for peanuts. Anyone try this product or one similar? Want to find a decent one thats reliable

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=3...IAL?avad=avant

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Superbike

Motorcycle: 2006 gsxr750
Re: AR-15 .22LR Conversion, thoughts?

My brother gave me that exact bolt conversion (CMMG bolt) for my birthday with one of the mags listed. I've only had a chance to take it to the range once, but it was a ton of fun. I was able to sight in a replacement Trijicon Tripower scope that had just been returned to me from the manufacturer's RMA department.

The design is ingenious...the entire recoil mechanism is built right into the bolt. I was able to sight in my gun without spending $$$ on .223. I went through 4 mags worth of ammo. The only issues I had were on the last mag. I had a couple times where more than one bullet was fired. I don't know if it had something to do with the dirt buildup from .22lr rounds or what. At the end of that 4th mag, I had about 4 rounds come out with one bullet squeeze and I decided to stop until I had time to check it out. I haven't had time to dig into further...when I got home I cleaned it thoroughly and didn't notice anything odd. I assume it was slam firing. I haven't looked at it enough to say whether or not the problem was something unique to my setup. I'll probably take it up to my local gunsmith and have him take a look at it before firing again.

The one thing I do worry about is buildup in the gas system from the dirtier .22lr round. I always shoot some .223 afterwords to try and blow out any buildup. Dunno if it really does anything or not.

All in all, if I can get the firing issue worked out I think it's awesome product.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Expert

Motorcycle: 09 GSXR600

Just spend an extra hundred and buy the M&P15-22.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Superbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
Just spend an extra hundred and buy the M&P15-22.
I kind of like the ability to just drop it in and train using my existing gun (same optics, BUIS, grip, extras). To each their own...the m&p15-22 looks like a really good gun.

BTW, where are you finding the M&P15-22 for $300?

Last edited by beanfield; 08-18-2010 at 11:02 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Funkyzeit mit Gavveth! Needs a stiff Ass Blasting.

Motorcycle: K2 GSX-R 750, 1980 Yamaha XJ 650, 08 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanfield View Post
I kind of like the ability to just drop it in and train using my existing gun (same optics, BUIS, grip, extras). To each their own...the m&p15-22 looks like a really good gun.

BTW, where are you finding it for $300?
thanks for the review, I am really leaning towards picking it up now
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Expert

Quote:

BTW, where are you finding the M&P15-22 for $300?
I know what you mean. Thats why I bought a .22 conversion kit for my g17 instead of just buying a .22 pistol for the same price.

At the local gander mountain they have them for $340 and they tend to price things high here.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Superbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
I know what you mean. Thats why I bought a .22 conversion kit for my g17 instead of just buying a .22 pistol for the same price.

At the local gander mountain they have them for $340 and they tend to price things high here.
Damn, that price is insane if it's NIB. MSRP is $570 and the lowest retail I could find is budsgunshop at $430.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Expert

Quote:
Damn, that price is insane if it's NIB. MSRP is $570 and the lowest retail I could find is budsgunshop at $430.
Maybe I mistook a 4 for a 3 but I know it was low. MSRP dosnt mean anything, its always at least $100 to high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode