Just bought a 1992 GSXR600 looking for advice - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
Just bought a 1992 GSXR600 looking for advice

Hello I just bought a 92 GSXR-600 and I have noticed a few issues with it.

1) Idle issue - it is a little reluctant to start up (even with the choke), but this was something that I expected from a 26 year old bike. The bike wants to die before it gets warmed up, but once it is warmed up the idle likes to climb to 5000 rpm. I've heard this is a vacuum leak.

2) Pulsating brakes - My front brakes pulsate, but the rotors, calipers, break pads, are all new.

3) Radiator fan - The thing never comes on

4) The fairings don't line up perfect, I don't know if somethings are bent or if this is normal

This is my first bike and I would love any advice you guys could give me. Also I planned on taking it apart over the winter and replacing/repairing everything I can, if you could give me any sort of order to do things in or to check I would really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
Re: Just bought a 1992 GSXR600 looking for advice

Thank you very much I will do some more research this weekend.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:20 PM
Juvenile Thinker

Motorcycle: 1992 GSX-R600W, 1994 GSX-R750WN, 1995 GSX-R750WP, 2001 KX/DX 220 Hybrid, 1995 RMX250, 1999 KLX300R
Garage

Welcome and congrats on the bike. I also have a 92 600 along with it's 94 and 95 750 brothers. Good first bike to learn to wrench on, not overly complicated and most everything can be done with simple hand tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathofgoat View Post
1) Idle issue - it is a little reluctant to start up (even with the choke), but this was something that I expected from a 26 year old bike. The bike wants to die before it gets warmed up, but once it is warmed up the idle likes to climb to 5000 rpm. I've heard this is a vacuum leak.
As noted above, check for air leaks around the intake boots, and also around the diaphragm caps on the carbs. Better would be to pull the carb bank, clean and rebuild them if necessary. These old carbs can be a bit finicky.

Quote:
2) Pulsating brakes - My front brakes pulsate, but the rotors, calipers, break pads, are all new.
Make sure they are properly bled and recheck the torques on your rotors and your rotor runout.

Quote:
3) Radiator fan - The thing never comes on
May be the thermostat switch is bad, or the wiring to it. These bikes have a lot of wiring issues if not cared for, especially around the plastic connections. Best to take them apart (one at a time) clean them and lubricate with some dielectric grease.

Quote:
4) The fairings don't line up perfect, I don't know if somethings are bent or if this is normal
All the fairings are mounted via tabs or brackets, simple job to rebend them to get things lined up (as long as the frame is not damaged and the fairings are in ok shape).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 10:08 PM
Married his Fleshlight... And Also touches people in a "special" way

welcome! ok where do we start.

I'm not too experienced with carbs but check for vacuum leaks and a good clean up could help. is it harder to start when it's warm?

as for the brakes. just because they are new doesn't mean they are good. what rotors have been put on? Chinese rotors are of subpar materials and usually come warped which will explain uneven braking performance.

as for the fan how do you know if it's not working? have you let it get hot enough. I'd first unplug the fan and hook it up to a battery and see if it is comes on and then go from there.

with the fairings same thing again. do you know if they are OEM. some Chinese aftermarket ones tend not to line up as good as OEM

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk

Head down, ass up , knee down.
by FAR my favorite sex positio.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

Thank you guys for all the advice.

Couple updates...

The fan does kick on I guess it never got hot enough to trip the thermo switch.

As the weather is starting to cool down the bike won't start cold. I had to push start it the other day, so now I will be pulling the carbs regardless. I only have my weekends free, so working on these things will have to be in batches.

Speaking of which, does anybody have good pictures for reference on how the wiring and hose positions should look? I have 2 different service manuals, but it is hard to get a grasp on where the wires should be run. Also would anybody know a good place to look for some of the more obscure pieces, like the passive air duct plastics? I might just have to 3-D print and machine some of the things, but if i could find stock ones that would be preferred.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 03:12 PM
Juvenile Thinker

Motorcycle: 1992 GSX-R600W, 1994 GSX-R750WN, 1995 GSX-R750WP, 2001 KX/DX 220 Hybrid, 1995 RMX250, 1999 KLX300R
Garage

The best reference for the cable/hose routing is the 92-93 GSXR600 Service Manual. You can find it online. Unless someone has hacked up the loom it is pretty easy to figure out with the service diagram. As for the parts, most are still available through online parts houses (I just looked and the air tubes are on Motosport and RMATV). What isn't available there you will have to search Ebay for, or get your Red R and may find it on the marketplace here. (those air tubes by the way can be removed and the bike doesn't suffer at all). Some of the hardest parts to find are fairing pieces. Good Luck. BTW there is a great sticky on here about carb rebuilding photo-diary-complete-carburetor-rebuild

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

I have a couple updates.

1) After I had to push start the bike i decided to order some new spark plugs

2) So today they came in and i dissembled the bike (removed the fairings and gas tank)

3) When looking through the service manual i noticed that it calls for the fuel lines to be opposite of what was done on mine. Also the vacuum line is supposed to be going to carb#3, but on mine it was on #4.

4) The top cap of carb #2 is cracked around the screw

5) Can't tell if im just being paranoid about my oil or if it actually does look milky. I checked my coolant levels and it hasn't moved since i got the bike.

6) the lower attachment for the left and right fairings seem to be flipped, the one on the right side has an L on it and the one on the left has an R.

What did i get myself into? I don't know if there has been some irreparable damage done to the bike due to all this crap.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

Here are all the pictures
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 10:21 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 1978 CB550K, 1992 GSXR 600
Garage

I don't think your pictures uploaded, but on the carbs there are two upper hoses between carbs 1/2 and 3/4 these are vent lines and just run to the ground. Below these are two more lines that connect to the gas tank (it doesn't matter what order they're in on the petcock). Lastly the vacuum line you are talking about on the #4 carb I assume is the one that connects to the center barb on the petcock and that's the same way my carbs are set up, so there's no problem there. The cracked cap on carb #2 should be replaced it will cause a vacuum leak and the bike wont run correctly. When you take the top cap off be sure not to lose the small o-ring that is on it. For the possible water in the oil I would just keep an eye on the sight glass to see if the oil looks milky and change the oil after the first 1000 miles to see how it looks.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

I keep trying to upload the pictures and they never show up
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

Does anybody know of a local shop that is decent, i live in the chicago suburbs
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

Update:

1) Bike still not starting on its own, will start with starter fluid.
2) Idle still an issue, high idle or dies

I've checked the spark and the compression, good spark on all plugs and compression is (115psi, 105psi, 105psi, 105psi).
I know that they're supposed to be at least 115psi, so this could be an issue.

This winter I plan on pulling the carbs off and rebuilding them and same goes for the engine.

I was looking for engine parts (Piston rings, head gasket, etc.) I can only find the OEM ones on rockeymountainatv and the like.
Does anybody have a better source for these engine parts when doing a rebuild?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 01:05 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 1978 CB550K, 1992 GSXR 600
Garage

That sounds really low on compression. Before doing anything I would check your valve lash. Over time they tend to get tight and wont allow the valve to seat all the way causing low compression readings. I think valve shim kits for these bikes are a little under $100. Good Luck
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2018, 10:20 PM
Track Day Winner

Carbs, love them but boy can they be a nightmare! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode