750 ignition - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 86 Yamaha Venture, 84 Suzuki GS1150EF x 2, 93 GSXR 750
Garage
750 ignition

Looking for a second opinion, 93 750w, I did the stick coil conversion a while back and was very happy with the results. However, lately I don't seem to be getting as good of a spark and the performance, starting, etc is suffering for some unknown reason. I made a new harness for the coils, checked the specs on ea coil, the signal pickup, added a couple grounds, checked the plugs, checked and rechecked the battery. I don't see or haven't found anything that might explain as to the lack in performance. I have a Dyna 2000 setup with grey coils from my 1150 i'm planning on installing once i find the correct pickup and rotor, and the guys at dyna said running the grey coils shouldn't be an issue on the 750.
My question is should I install the dyna coils and wires etc, have i overlooked something with the sticks, or suck it up till i can locate the correct pickup and swap in the dyna?

tks

I just do what the voices tell me.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 08:18 PM
Juvenile Thinker

Motorcycle: 1992 GSX-R600W, 1994 GSX-R750WN, 1995 GSX-R750WP, 2001 KX/DX 220 Hybrid, 1995 RMX250, 1999 KLX300R
Garage
Re: 750 ignition

Compression check?, last time you adjusted valves? Any noticeable change in mpg? May not be a spark problem, or could be ECU or some other issue.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

And that's what I was thinking, maybe an ecu problem. I actually just finished doing the valves this morning, they were really tight. I picked up a set of carbs a couple weeks ago with stock internals in really good shape, the needles and tubes were junk in the other set. Went for a ride to meet a friend for lunch, and had a bit of a oops, but it ran really nice on the way there. I was formulating a plan for minor adjustments later this afternoon and got sidetracked helping a friend. So, cleaned up said "issues", and triple checking everything and heading out for a ride tonight. Weather has cooled off, roads are dry and if the stars align, she'll run like i know she wants to.
I know its been asked before, about testing cdi boxes, normally the answer is plug in 1 you know works. Without access to a second box, has there been any breakthru's in this area? An early retirement by the stock cdi is what got me thinking about putting the dyna from the 1150 in it. Eliminate it entirely.
Coils I have, so that was the direction I was looking at either confirming or eliminating as a culprit.

Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2018, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage

Update and a couple questions.
When the bike is cold, it starts no problem with just a little choke, idles and runs fine. When it warms up it seems to stumble a bit and even died a couple times at a red light. Picked up a couple shims as I still had a couple exhaust valves were a little tight and installed them no problem.
Valves are all within spec now.
Cams are lined up.
Carbs are balanced using the gauges not the water tubes.
Engine runs good, plugs are a little dirty but i can live with it.
Battery at 12.75 volts
Crank trigger- Now this is where it gets interesting. When it's cold, the manual says 135-200 ohms, mine reads 175. However, after riding it last night i came home and checked it while hot and got a reading of only .995 ohms. Same place on the meter.
Have I finally found the culprit?
Secondly, key on, stand up, run switch on, not running, everything says I should have 12v on the org/wht and blk/yel wires on the coils, any idea why i'm onluy seeing 10v?
I've added a couple extra ground wires as suggested, checked other items in the system as per the service manual and found nothing other than the crank trigger out of spec.
I'm running the stick coils from an 08 busa not the stock coils. I also have a set of the Dyna grey coils which I've been told by Dynatek will work fine in this application should I choose to install them.

Anyone have any idea's?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode