New user questions of bike restoration - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

1Likes
  • 1 Post By oldschoolgix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Squid

New user questions of bike restoration

Hello all new here on the forums I recently acquired a 1992 gixxer 600 amazing bike. I previously had a 1989 gixxer 1100 I picked up this 92 as a basket case tore down due to a broken oil pan from falling off a lift. I have pretty much everything for the bike. I am missing a few things so I wondered if anyone here knew where I could acquire parts from bikes like these? So far I have found I am missing the pivot shaft bolt for the swing arm. The front axle. Rear chain adjusters. The rear seat. The starter solenoid. Windscreen and mirros. I think so far that’s it. Where does someone outsource parts for a bike of this age? I’ve scrambled eBay and bought the oil pan. But can’t find other parts reasonably priced. And if anyone knows where I could pick up a service manual that would be awesome too. Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:13 PM
Juvenile Thinker

Motorcycle: 1992 GSX-R600W, 1994 GSX-R750WN, 1995 GSX-R750WP, 2001 KX/DX 220 Hybrid, 1995 RMX250, 1999 KLX300R
Garage
Re: New user questions of bike restoration

Pretty much Ebay is your best, worst friend with these old bikes. Windscreens can still be bought. Some parts are still available through online parts stores. The 92 600 was the first watercooled model to make it to the US, the 750/1100 didn't show up until the following year. However, a lot of the parts are the same between the 92-93 600, 92-95 750 and 93-98 1100. They shared frames, and most of the other bits can work between years. As far as manuals, I found mine on the internet, there used to be a couple places you could get them free, but haven't looked in a while. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 12:41 PM

I'll second that in that I'm in the same boat you're in with the 92 600. I've gotten lucky on ebay and found some bodywork etc. I ended up ditching the idea of rebuilding the 600 motor and put and 1100w in my frame. Keep looking on ebay and you will find what you need. Like bufftester said you can most likely find the hardware you need by cross referencing the later model 750 and 1100 bikes. Not everything crosses directly so compare part numbers before you buy. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufftester View Post
Pretty much Ebay is your best, worst friend with these old bikes. Windscreens can still be bought. Some parts are still available through online parts stores. The 92 600 was the first watercooled model to make it to the US, the 750/1100 didn't show up until the following year. However, a lot of the parts are the same between the 92-93 600, 92-95 750 and 93-98 1100. They shared frames, and most of the other bits can work between years. As far as manuals, I found mine on the internet, there used to be a couple places you could get them free, but haven't looked in a while. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:36 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: GS1000S, GSX-R750R LTD, GSX-R1100G, RG500, 888, 916, 916 SPS, 999R, 1098R, KTM SDGT, DB2, KB3, RC30, RC51, RS250, Z1000SX, ZX7R M2, V Due, WR426F, OW01

To get no longer available parts for reasonable prices takes patience and research.

For all the parts you need, do a search on an online parts house like Partszilla and find out what years and what other bikes the parts you need were used on. Find out whether the parts you want are still available or not and what they will cost new. The benchmark price for used parts in good condition is typically 50% of retail.

Create saved searches in eBay for the parts you need based on the information from the preceding, Look at completed listing on eBay to see how often the parts you need get listed and how much they sell for when they are listed to get an idea of how rare the parts are and what they sell for when they become available.

Do Google searches on the parts numbers and see if the parts are available from any parts houses. Suzuki dealers can check the parts inventory of other Suzuki dealers, so you can take your parts list to a dealer and see if they are sitting on a dealer shelf somewhere.

Do a national Craigslist search using a meta-search engine like Craigfind to see if anyone is selling the parts you need or might have the parts you need.

Be patient or be willing to pay a premium to save time....

Good luck!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Squid

That's what I had figured. eBay has been a longtime good friend to me. Was just wondering if anyone had another source. I actually did end up finding a service manual for a 1993. Got lucky on that one. 🙌🏻
The book had the assembly's broken down for me and I was able to find most of what I was after. Got the part numbers for things like the axle and nut for the wheel and pivot shaft. Got them purchased and came in the mail yesterday. Just got to track down the wheel spacers and dust covers for them to fit on the frame right. The bike I bought hasn't been on the road for 12 years. It was in boxes and pieces when I got it. So I know there's a lot more I'm sure that went missing after the years. I paid the older gentleman a whopping 150.00$ for the bike. I got the new oil pan on it put in 4.5 qts of oil and am letting it sit to seep into the barrings and the day I bought it I took out the old plugs and put about a tea spoon of oil in each cylinder. The engine spins freely. I just can't wait to hear it run. Will be a smoke show for sure. What would you guys recommend to remove the rust in the fuel tank? I already cleaned the carbs heavily the stuff that was in them was far from fuel or a liquid form of any kind. The fuel that came out of the tank was bright orange and the inside of the tank is rusty but not enough for it to be through the tank it's still solid. I've been told to just buy the tank mote but I'd like to remove the rust first. This is where I'm stuck at at the moment. Thanks for all the good replies though guys!
muckabucka likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Squid

And my fault I had a 1989 gsx1100 katana not a gsxr. I just noticed my error. 🙃
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode