1996 GSXR 1100W with some electrical issues - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bufftester

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
1996 GSXR 1100W with some electrical issues

My 96 GSXR 1100W keeps on giving me some headaches....... I have been working on several items on this bike, and I'm getting ahead, but I just encountered another problem! I installed new plugs and wires, and after I reinstalled everything, including the tank, I noticed that all instrument clusters were on, and the front light was off, while the turn signal lights were just on and not flashing. I traced the issue to two wire harnesses, which are connected together by male/female connectors. One of the connector connects six wires together, and the second connects about 12 wires together. Theses two connectors are located behind the front left turn signal, mounted on the left air filter intake pipe. I believe that those connectors splice the instrument cluster into the main wiring harness. I pulled the connector apart and slightly bent the electrodes. I then applied some electrical grease onto the connectors, pushed them back together, and all of the instrument clusters lights turned off, except the fuel, gas, and oil light, which should stay on when the ignition is turned to on, but the engine is off.

The next issue I have is the starter, which works sometimes, and other times it doesn't. I attempted to start my bike after I had everything back together, but the starter is not engaging when I'm pushing the start button. The starter relay clicks when I turn the ignition key to the "On" position, and the starter relay also clicks when I pull and then reinstall the starter fuse. I placed a screwdriver between the red and black starter wire with the ignition in the "Off" position, which made the starter turn over. I then turned the key to "On", and placed the screwdriver again between the two starter terminals, but only saw sparks flying without the starter turning over...... I'm not going to do that again..... Either way, the starter relay still clicks on, so I didn't fry the relay or tripped a fuse.

So where should I check next to isolate this issue? The relay does not click when I'm pushing the start button, so is there something inside of the push starter button assembly that could be bad, and if so, is there a way to check this before I open the assembly up, and then probably damage something by doing so, or is there another fuse or splice between the starter button and the starter relay?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Re: 1996 GSXR 1100W with some electrical issues

Tried to add a picture to the post, but its not working
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 10:12 PM
Juvenile Thinker

Motorcycle: 1992 GSX-R600W, 1994 GSX-R750WN, 1995 GSX-R750WP, 2001 KX/DX 220 Hybrid, 1995 RMX250, 1999 KLX300R
Garage

Do you have the wiring diagram? There are several interlocks that must be working in order to start the bike (side stand, clutch, neutral IIRC). The harnesses on these bikes are notorious for melting and shorting. Best to take apart each connector, and clean and grease as you did while inspecting for damage tot he pins/sockets. Special attention to the grounds.
MedicAndy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufftester View Post
Do you have the wiring diagram? There are several interlocks that must be working in order to start the bike (side stand, clutch, neutral IIRC). The harnesses on these bikes are notorious for melting and shorting. Best to take apart each connector, and clean and grease as you did while inspecting for damage tot he pins/sockets. Special attention to the grounds.

I started to "wiggle" on some of the wire connections, and almost all made the lights flicker. I also found the starter issue, which was the inline connection from the starter button into the wire harness connection, which was badly corroded. I ordered me some electrical grease, new wire, and heat-shrink tubing, so my next project is to remove every piece of molding to expose every wire and connector, so that I can open, clean, and grease them before I reassemble my bike.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

I finally had a chance again to work on the GSXR's electrical system, and I ended up with removing two wire harness branch-off plugs and spliced the wires together with butt splices. I cleaned the rest of the plugs electrodes with my dremel tool and then added lots of dielectric grease. I reassembled my bike and rode her for about a total of three hours without having any issues, so I hope that this engine barking down or cutting off on me has been taken care off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode