1993 750W swingarm upgrade for 6" wide rear wheel - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Squid

1993 750W swingarm upgrade for 6" wide rear wheel

Hi,

I'm writing now first time to this forum because I have a problem where I need your help. I allready tried to search from this forum and elsewhere from internet but so far I do not have clear view what to do. I hope you can give some hints how to go forward.

I'm in the process of building cafe racer from old watercooled GSXR. The basic idea is to mix carbon fiber and polished aluminium. The frame is from GSXR 750w 1993. I do have also GSXR 1100 1997 braced swingarm and 5.5" rear wheel from same bike.

Then I accidentally found nice and decently priced BST carbon wheels and fell in love with those. The wheels are from GSXR K3 1000 drag racing bike.

Now the problem(s):
- The frame is 93 with small 20mm swingarm pivot bolt.
- The swingarm (GSXR 1100 1997 braced swingarm) has 25mm swingarm pivot bolt and 20mm rear axle.
- New BST rear wheel is 6" wide and for 28mm rear axle

I test fitted BST wheel to swingarm. It is relative easy to align chain line, but on the right side of the wheel is very tight. The rear brake bracket needs to be machined in order to fit to swingarm. Furthermore, the wheel is about 10mm off right from the center line. On top of this all axle spacers should be changed from 28mm to 20mm axle.

I think the best option would be to buy new swingarm. Newer 03 -> swingarm is designed for wider 6" rear wheel and with 28mm rear axle. This would solve wheel fitment and axle size and only remaining problem would be how to fit such swingarm to -92-93 GSXR-750w frame (with small 20mm pivot bolt).

Questions:
- Are all GSXR1000 swingarms replaceable in this respect (28mm rear axle? and are wheels replaceable, spacers etc...).
- Should I buy 03-04 swing arm and do whatever is needed to fit it into the frame.
- Or is any other swingarm, from newer GSXR-1000 and/or some other brand a better starting point. 28mm rear axle preferred, and as easy fitment to frame + rear shock setup as possible.
- Do you know if anybody has done something similar

Best Regards,
Marko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Re: 1993 750W swingarm upgrade for 6" wide rear wheel

Ok. I have a plan now....
I bought L11 swingarm (slightly modified) and after some thinking it should fit relatively easily.
What I need is:
- slightly modified pivot bolt
- relocation of upper shock mounting point
- relocation of shock link frame mounting point

Modifications to original L11 GSXR 1000 pivot bold are described in attached image.
Final modified pivot bolt in 3nd image. Should be able to continue with during Christmas time with shock mounting.
Attached Images
File Type: png Pivot_axle_changes.png (24.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Modified L11 pivox axle for 93 gsxr 750 frame_2.jpg (133.3 KB, 4 views)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 03:33 PM
Squid

The swingarm thing has been done, so am sure someone can help, looks all technical from where I sit.

Hope it goes to plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:38 AM
brl
Squid

Sounds like a noce build, post some pics of the bike :-)

Im fitting PVM wheels from a GSXR 1000 K8 to my 750w Cafe/street ich bulid :-P

My plan is to change the bearings to fit my 20mm axle and modify/ make new spacers to get the alignment right.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 05:13 PM
Squid

The simplest options to mount the swinging arm and wheel would be to get some swinging arm bushes made up to take up the slack in the spindle and make it up to match the swinging arm internal diameter. Then see if you can buy different sized rear wheel bearings to fit the new wheel to the wheel spindle. following from that you might need to if possible take some meat of the caliper hanger or even hub if its possible to centre the wheel in the frame.
Also be aware that wheels aren't always central in the swinging arm just ensure the rear wheel is aligned with the front wheel and centre of the frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode