1993 750W swingarm upgrade for 6" wide rear wheel
I'm writing now first time to this forum because I have a problem where I need your help. I allready tried to search from this forum and elsewhere from internet but so far I do not have clear view what to do. I hope you can give some hints how to go forward.
I'm in the process of building cafe racer from old watercooled GSXR. The basic idea is to mix carbon fiber and polished aluminium. The frame is from GSXR 750w 1993. I do have also GSXR 1100 1997 braced swingarm and 5.5" rear wheel from same bike.
Then I accidentally found nice and decently priced BST carbon wheels and fell in love with those. The wheels are from GSXR K3 1000 drag racing bike.
Now the problem(s):
- The frame is 93 with small 20mm swingarm pivot bolt.
- The swingarm (GSXR 1100 1997 braced swingarm) has 25mm swingarm pivot bolt and 20mm rear axle.
- New BST rear wheel is 6" wide and for 28mm rear axle
I test fitted BST wheel to swingarm. It is relative easy to align chain line, but on the right side of the wheel is very tight. The rear brake bracket needs to be machined in order to fit to swingarm. Furthermore, the wheel is about 10mm off right from the center line. On top of this all axle spacers should be changed from 28mm to 20mm axle.
I think the best option would be to buy new swingarm. Newer 03 -> swingarm is designed for wider 6" rear wheel and with 28mm rear axle. This would solve wheel fitment and axle size and only remaining problem would be how to fit such swingarm to -92-93 GSXR-750w frame (with small 20mm pivot bolt).
- Are all GSXR1000 swingarms replaceable in this respect (28mm rear axle? and are wheels replaceable, spacers etc...).
- Should I buy 03-04 swing arm and do whatever is needed to fit it into the frame.
- Or is any other swingarm, from newer GSXR-1000 and/or some other brand a better starting point. 28mm rear axle preferred, and as easy fitment to frame + rear shock setup as possible.
- Do you know if anybody has done something similar