Air box fitting - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Air box fitting

Over the winter I have been refurbishing my 1100WP.
So far it's all gone fine that is until today when I have attempted to fit the airbox to the carbs.

There must be a technique that I don't know about because I have spent a day trying.

Fitted the carbs. and they located into the engine correctly.
Offered up the airbox and no way was it going on to the carbs.
Used gentle heat with a hairdryer then some silicone grease but to no avail. It's very difficult to get the central airbox rubber connectors over the two central carbs.
Removed the alternator to get more wiggle room for my hands but no success.
Then took the airbox to carb. rubbers out and put them in hot water and then offered them to the carbs and they all fit individually but then could not get the rubbers back into the airbox whilst they are fitted to the carbs.

I can't be the first bloke with this problem.
Hows it done?

Thanks Geofff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 08:33 AM
Track Day Winner

Not sure if I did it the right way but I used a 2 inch ratchet strap and a 90 degree pick. With the tank off I used the ratchet strap to put a little pressure on the airbox and the pick to help work the boot around the carb.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Re: Air box fitting

Many thanks for the reply.
So you also had a problem with the airbox.
Had another go with heat this morning but the 2 center rubber connectors from the airbox will not slide over the carbs.
I will need to use some of your ingenuity.
Many thanks
Geofff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 10:08 PM
TJS
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 1995 GSXR 750, Modified 1992 GSF Bandit 400, want a "Kitchen Pass" for a KLX 140 Supermoto

Lube it! Silicone, White grease, ,red rubber grease, spit...
Yes, the warmer the carb boots; the easier!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Thanks TJS.
Now I am trying to approach the problem with a bit more thought.
The airbox connectors look out of line with the carbs. When I get them almost in line the back of the airbox fouls the chassis cross member. I wonder if the carbs. are at the wrong angle in the engine. Every item on the bike is as Suzuki built it and all the components fitted when it was built in 1993.
I am now planning to fix the airbox and grease all the connection rubbers. Then remove the carbs as a block from the engine and see if I can fit the carbs to the fixed airbox. If so unfix the airbox and then try to push the carbs. and airbox in the carb. engine ports as a unit.
Clutching at straws eh.
Thanks
Geofff
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 03:33 PM
Juvenile Thinker

Motorcycle: 1992 GSX-R600W, 1994 GSX-R750WN, 1995 GSX-R750WP, 2001 KX/DX 220 Hybrid, 1995 RMX250, 1999 KLX300R
Garage

Make sure the right carb boots are attached in the correct position on the block, there are 2 of each p/n and if you have them in the wrong place things will not lign up correctly. Also, they look nearly identical so it's easy to mix them up. After that it's get everything nice and warm and it will eventually get on there.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Thanks Bufftester.
Yep just checked and the carb boots are in the right order as per the service manual.
I just can't understand what is causing the problem. Lots of red rubber grease applied and the hair dryer get's it all nice and warm.
Fixed the airbox and loosened the carbs from the carb boots on the engine and then attempted to put the carbs to the airbox and still the carbs will not push onto the airbox.
Had another amateur bike fitter take a look and neither of us can see the cause of the problem.

Almost at the point of removing the carbs and the airbox and fitting individual KN filters. No doubt this option will upset the carburetor settings. If I am going to have this problem of fitting a bit of plastic every time it may be worth it.
Thanks
Geofff
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Interesting day.
I have been having a lot of trouble refitting the airbox back onto the carbs on my 1994 GSX-R1100WP.
In desperation I removed the carb's and all the rubber connectors from the airbox.
Even on the bench and with the rubber connectors heated and greased they would only go half way onto the carbs.

The carbs have a parallel connecting surface but now I can see that the rubber connectors are tapered from 58mm at the carb.end to 56mm at the airbox end. The carb. fixing dimension is 58.5 mm.

It's impossible therefore to get the carbs.to go fully onto the rubber connectors. On the bench I can only get them about halfway.

Now the point of describing this event is to ask if anybody has some detail knowledge of what should be fitted.
The carbs fitted are Mikuni BST40SS and have a connection diameter of 58.5mm. Is it possible that the rubber connectors that I have on the bike are for the BST36SS? Does anybody know the rubber connection diameter of the BST36SS. Could it be they are 56mm?

I have attempted to find drawings on the web but could not find anything.

Can you help,
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 08:28 PM
Juvenile Thinker

Motorcycle: 1992 GSX-R600W, 1994 GSX-R750WN, 1995 GSX-R750WP, 2001 KX/DX 220 Hybrid, 1995 RMX250, 1999 KLX300R
Garage

I have a set of 36s at the house I can measure when I get home from work.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Thanks Bufftester
I wait with bated breath.
Geofff
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:18 PM
Juvenile Thinker

Garage

Air box side = 58mm
Cylinder side = 45mm
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Many thanks Bufftester.
Very useful info. I now believe there may be some confusion regarding part numbers. I think my bike may be fitted with
Part No. 13881-46E10 and only that part number is shown on the UK bike parts lists. I think however that part no. is for E18 and E39 model bikes Switzerland and Austria respectively and they have 36mm carburetors.
My bike has the standard 40mm UK model carburetors. After delving about in the web I think the part no for that carburetor is 13881-
46E00 and perhaps therefore I have the wrong rubber connection part and hence it will not fit.
I have now ordered one of each part no. to find out.
Thanks for all your help
Geofff
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Hi Bufftester
I have just been working with those dimensions you were kind enough to check.
My 40mm carburetors also have a 58mm diameter on the air box side. Now that has got me wondering. Why are there two part numbers because it looks like that on the air box side the rubber connector could be interchangeable between the 36mm and 40mm.
I will now wait for he two options I have ordered to arrive then I shall know. (at a cost)
Thanks again
Geofff
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Somebody may be interested to know the outcome of the battle to fit the airbox back onto the carburetors.
There is some confusion regarding part numbers. The correct part number for the UK spec rubber connectors airbox to carbs. is 13881-46E00. It took a month to sort out the part numbers and get the items delivered.
With a little Red Rubber grease and the heat from a hairdryer the new parts fitted perfectly without too much of a struggle.
It seems that the original parts fitted in 1993 had hardened and when removed from the bike the rubber carburetor connection diameter shrunk back 1.5mm hence it could not be refitted.
The new parts are soft and malleable.
This problem now solved I am now working on the next!

Many thanks to everybody who gave me advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode