2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bufftester

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
Purpose of Air intakes

Hi all,

At the risk of sounding like a bit of an idiot, what is the purpose of the air intakes (the two plastic hose type jobbies that protrude either side of the fuel tank. on the gsxr 750 wp. I can't see that they attach to the airbox so are they they to provide air cooling of some description. Reason I ask is because I am doing a naked build and they are ugly so I would like to be rid of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Juvenile Thinker

Motorcycle: 1992 GSX-R600W, 1994 GSX-R750WN, 1995 GSX-R750WP, 2001 KX/DX 220 Hybrid, 1995 RMX250, 1999 KLX300R
Garage
Re: Purpose of Air intakes

Not needed for a naked build. They just route air from the fairing scoops above the motor, but really serve no purpose unless you plumb them for a pressurized airbox which was common on the racing circuit.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 09:23 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: k5 1000
Garage

They are meant to be designed so that they increase air intake, which means more power. The is 'meant' to be a 'Ram Air' effect with where they are placed on the bike, being at the front' so that as you go faster, more (in reality less negative) pressure is achieved, creating more power... how much this actually works, I'd like to think it has some positive impact in terms of performance, how much this actually matters to you... well that's subjective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 04:37 AM
I know things... A lot of things.

Motorcycle: GSXR 750 K4

I don't think that the WP has a pressurized airbox, as it was introduced later-on, with the SRAD models. That said, the intakes probably do serve a purpose, in that they allow the engine to draw air from the cooler region in front of the motorcycle, rather than the region around the engine and behind the radiator, which is probably going to be significantly hotter. Will the engine run? Sure, it probably will, but I'd expect it to run worse, especially given the fact that it's carburetted and can't adapt to the new conditions. I have a feeling that a significant portion of the running problems associated with old, carburetted bikes, is due to the accumulative effects of such modifications, where parts are discarded, since they "obviously" aren't necessary (and look bad).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

Thanks to everyone for responding. I'll ponder my next move
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 05:08 PM
Juvenile Thinker

Motorcycle: 1992 GSX-R600W, 1994 GSX-R750WN, 1995 GSX-R750WP, 2001 KX/DX 220 Hybrid, 1995 RMX250, 1999 KLX300R
Garage

The K bikes aren't anything like the older Ws' Their air intake scoops are actually routed into the air box directly. Not so on the Ws. The scoops are routed to above the cylinder head in negative space between the motor and tank. The air box draws from the back side under the battery tray...the scoops do zero for increasing air intake on these old bikes. The biggest issues with poorly running carbeurated bikes comes from the lack of knowledge on proper carb tuning more than anything else.
oldgixxer and muckabucka like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode