Need a bit of guidance checking valve clearance on a 94 750 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Motorcycle: 94 GsxR 750
Need a bit of guidance checking valve clearance on a 94 750

So I get the valve cover and the signal generator cover off to find that it has what I think is an advance ignition signal rotor installed. Well I'm trying to check valve clearance and I bring the mark on the rotor to the tdc mark and the notches in the in and ex camshafts where they're supposed to be. Then it says to check the clearances of #1 intake and ex Etc, then rotate the motor to check the rest. What I'm confused about is it says the cam lobes need to be in a certain position in order to check the clearances, and the cam lobes with this generator are almost in that position but are pointing about 1 O'clock away from the gasketed surface of the head ( That surface being 12 O'clock) The manual states they should point at the gasketed surface or pointing up towards the middle of the Journal cap. Do I take the reading as is as per tdc mark and cam notches in the position they are supposed to be in or rotate the motor so the cam lobes face the head/ up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: gsxr k8 1000
Re: Need a bit of guidance checking valve clearance on a 94 750

turn the cam lobes so they face directly away from the bucket and measure the clearance, all this BS about aligning marks is irrelevent..
ya need to be very careful of alignment if/when the cams are removed for shim replacement..
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Motorcycle: 94 GsxR 750
Re: Need a bit of guidance checking valve clearance on a 94 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by john kinzell View Post
turn the cam lobes so they face directly away from the bucket and measure the clearance, all this BS about aligning marks is irrelevent..
ya need to be very careful of alignment if/when the cams are removed for shim replacement..
Cool, think that's what I needed to hear. After seeing what's going on I figured that was the only logical way to check them .... So why is the manual going into all this b.s of lining up marks and then checking? when it says the cam lobes need to be in X or Y position? Thanks for the reply man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode