Please help, bought a 1992 GSXR 750 and I have questions. - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage
Please help, bought a 1992 GSXR 750 and I have questions.

I'll say thanks for the help up front, it's appreciated

I bought a 1992 GSXR 750 for $500. Not running, no key, carbs not on it and apparently an ignition issue.
Here are my questions/issues:

1. I expected round headlights and this has a squareish headlight. Must be aftermarket
2. I cannot identify the fairing, is it aftermarket? I need a rear cover for it but, not sure which one to get.
3. The carbs are 36mm Mikunis (I measured the inside engine side bore). They don't seem to match the bike. The inner carbs are spaced to the boot but the outside ones don't. The bike has a push/pull throttle cable and these carbs don't have that type of linkage.
4. What carbs would work on this bike? (Size, year, model)?
5. What carbs would be best?
6. There is a Vance & Hines ignition pack on the bike. Is that stock?
7. Would an engine from a 2001 GSXR fit this frame without cutting the frame? I can make brackets and do the wiring and what is necessary if it is possible and a good idea.

Thanks again. I just want to get the bike running so I can hand my CBR125 to my wife next year to learn on and I have a fun bike to ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1992 gsxr 750 01.jpg (87.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 1992 gsxr 750 03.jpg (77.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 1992 gsxr 750 02.jpg (58.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg gsxr carb 03.jpg (66.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg gsxr carb 04.jpg (61.9 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 07:13 AM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...
Re: Please help, bought a 1992 GSXR 750 and I have questions.

-Those are definitely not OEM fairings or headlight for a 750W.
-Standard OEM carbs for the 750W would be best unless you're modding the engine
-V&H parts are definitely not stock
-Fitting a K1 fuel injected 750 into a carb'd '92 would be quite the project considering zero parts are interchangeable and you'd be engineering and fabricating every step of the way.

Last edited by oldgixxer; 08-30-2017 at 07:15 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

I can live with aftermarket fairing and headlight for now.

I was told the engine was bored to a 883 which would mean it was bored 6mm in diameter larger, this seems a bit much. Would stock carbs be suitable for that with jets or, could I use GSXR1100 carbs?

You say the swap would be hard. Fabricating mounts would be no big deal but, would the 2001 fit? Wiring is easy but if the mounting and fitting is a nightmare, I will forget about it.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 09:49 AM
Expert

Garage

Generally speaking, liquid cooled and air cooled engines are best swapped in their respective frames. The engine are configured differently and it makes swapping them a headache, or in some cases impossible. You also have to consider how the motor sit in the frame as well as aligns with the rear sprocket. I've never tried it myself so thats all the info I have but I'm on multiple motorcycle forums and they all advise against trying to fit a water cooled engine in an oil cooled frame and vice versa
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

That makes sense. I will forget about an engine swap and try to locate some carbs locally in order to get the bike together. Thanks for the info.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 05:53 PM
Juvenile Thinker

Motorcycle: 1992 GSX-R600W, 1994 GSX-R750WN, 1995 GSX-R750WP, 2001 KX/DX 220 Hybrid, 1995 RMX250, 1999 KLX300R
Garage

Where are you located? If it's a 1992 it's not a US model water cooled 750 as they were oil-cooled, the 750Ws didn't make it here until 93. In 92 we got just the 600. Could be a Canadian model...or could be a 92 600 frame with a different motor since the frames were basically the same for the 92-93 600, 93-95 750 and 93-98 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbastow View Post
1. I expected round headlights and this has a squareish headlight. Must be aftermarket
Not stock, not sure what it came off of, but you should be able to find a part number on it somewhere and google it.

Quote:
2. I cannot identify the fairing, is it aftermarket? I need a rear cover for it but, not sure which one to get.
Looks like an Airtech Yosh front kit (with the headlight cutout and added) and possibly an Airtech SRAD tail kit, though I thought those were all one piece without a pillion?

Quote:
3. The carbs are 36mm Mikunis (I measured the inside engine side bore). They don't seem to match the bike. The inner carbs are spaced to the boot but the outside ones don't. The bike has a push/pull throttle cable and these carbs don't have that type of linkage.
Stock (California spec) was 36mm, but with push/pull linkage. Non-California was 38mm. Perhaps off an earlier oil-burner? not sure if they had push pull cables, though I'm fairly certain they did. The spacing issue could be the boots installed in the incorrect locations (they are specific), or the wrong boots since OEM parts are getting harder to find.

Quote:
4. What carbs would work on this bike? (Size, year, model)?
Whichever carb you fit and jet. You can use the Mikunis in 36 or 38, some go with the flat slide TMs, there are others available as well if you search.

Quote:
5. What carbs would be best?
The ones that work lol...see above

Quote:
6. There is a Vance & Hines ignition pack on the bike. Is that stock?
If it has a brand name other than Suzuki on it...it's not stock

Quote:
7. Would an engine from a 2001 GSXR fit this frame without cutting the frame? I can make brackets and do the wiring and what is necessary if it is possible and a good idea.
No. Two different generations of bikes. The biggest difference is that the later motors are suspended, where the W motors sit in a cradle. You would end up reworking the entire top half or the frame just to fit the airbox/tank/carb body/injectors, as well as clearance issues with exhaust, radiators, etc. Cheaper to buy an 01 frame to put the motor in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bufftester; 08-30-2017 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Clarification
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

I am located in Canada, that likely explains why it is water cooled.
I will take a closer look at the boots and see if they are installed properly.
The bike currently has a push/pull throttle cable assembly, is that stock? The carbs don't have that type of connection though. I am pretty certain that the carbs are not meant for the bike.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 07:22 AM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...

Post a pic of the push-pull throttle;the OEM has two throttle cables...
If it indeed is an 883cc it very well may have had some aftermarket flatslide carbs which do require an aftermarket push-pull..should be easy enough to determine if we can see the assembly
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Garage

The throttle cables are push/pull. I think the proper carbs were swapped with something else when a shady mechanic was "fixing" it for the previous owner. I will get some more pictures after work today and post them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode