93 No start issue - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 86 Yamaha Venture, 84 Suzuki GS1150EF x 2, 93 GSXR 750
Garage
93 No start issue

Ok guys, I need some help.
93 750W I'm having a no power/start issue. I was checking a couple minor oil leaks resetting the carbs and repainting some of the bodywork. I didn't mess with any wiring/electrical other than checking the plugs as is usual.
I had the tank on the bike, no lower or rear bodywork. I pulled the choke, turned the key and hit the start button and waited as the engine vacuum pulled fuel from the tank to the carbs to fire the engine. As is normal when reinstalling the carbs, it takes a couple "cranking sessions" to push enough fuel to start, and when I was on the 2nd cranking she started turning a little slower so I grabbed my charger, hooked it up and waited a few minutes before cranking it again.
With the charger connected and on, I hit the start button it turns over twice and I hear a pop and everything dies. I mean everything.
I check the fuses with my multimeter and everything checks ok.
I check continuity in the positive cable, negative, recheck the fuses and even tho they checked out ok, I swap a couple out for new just to be safe. I've checked for any burnt wires, anything loose, rechecked electrical connections, anything that I can think of, still no power when I turn the key.
I disconnect the battery and put it on a shelf connected to the charger and set it on trickle charge and go to bed.
This all was last night.
This morning I get up, recheck the fuses, wiring, connections etc and find nothing amiss. I reinstall the battery, turn the key and bingo I have dash lights so I go about reinstalling the bodywork while I leave the battery charging.
I turn the key, hit the switch and again, no power, everything is dead.

Any idea's, as I am writing this, I seem to remember the "pop" noise I heard seemed to come from the rh side near the front and I'm thinking I should check the start switch assy on the throttle side .
Anyone else had something like this happen?
What next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 10:51 PM
Juvenile Thinker

Motorcycle: 1992 GSX-R600W, 1994 GSX-R750WN, 1995 GSX-R750WP, 2001 KX/DX 220 Hybrid, 1995 RMX250, 1999 KLX300R
Garage
Re: 93 No start issue

I would start with the start switch wiring and work back from there. If you heard a pop then there should be some visible wire damage somewhwere. The connectors on the bottom of the front fairing tend to get pretty bad on these bikes as they pretty much live in the weather.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 86 Yamaha Venture, 84 Suzuki GS1150EF x 2, 93 GSXR 750
Garage
Re: 93 No start issue

Got it sorted out, ended up the battery gave out.
It would charge to 12.45v and when installed I turn the key and it would drop to 6.7v. I went through the entire service manual and tested everything with the exception of disassembling the alternator and starter.
Good news is everything else checks out a-ok, bad news I had to buy another battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode