No Spark on Cylinders 1 & 4 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 1993 GSXR-750
Garage
No Spark on Cylinders 1 & 4

Hey everyone! I'm still working on my 1993 907cc build and I'm really close to having the bike running but she seems to only be running on two cylinders at the moment. I did the resistance test on my last coil and it was not in spec, so I bought a used one off of eBay that claimed to be in spec. I put it on yesterday and still have no fire in cylinders 1 & 4... I did the ohm test on the primary coil and it came back right at 3.4 ohms which is at the top of the spec. I'm having trouble getting an accurate reading on the secondary coil, so my first question is if anyone out there has any suggestions on how to get an accurate reading one the secondary coil (I have read the manual and realize that you are supposed to put the leads on the spark plug caps, but my multimeter will occasionally flash a reading for a fraction of a second and then won't give me a true reading). My other question might be kind of a stupid one, but which way are the leads supposed to be connected to the coil? Best I can tell the white wire goes to the top blade and the orange and white one goes to the bottom, but I would just like to make sure! Any advice would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 10:53 PM
TJS
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 1995 GSXR 750, Modified 1992 GSF Bandit 400, want a "Kitchen Pass" for a KLX 140 Supermoto
Re: No Spark on Cylinders 1 & 4

Do a stick coil conversion! Also check the connections from the signal generator. Chase the orange poer wire to where it joins up on the main harness, you will find a crimp connecting it to the main. These bikes are prone to that coming loose after so many years of moving the harness around during maintenance, crashes, etc..
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 05:21 AM
Squid

swop the coils over see if the fault follows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage
@TJS so I followed both lines from the rear coil to ensure that there was continuity, and there is...I was kinda hoping it would be something simple like a loose connection. I only have 3 volts at the coil which I thought was kind of odd. I would think that I should have 12 volts but I'm still learning about this bike and my manual doesn't specify what voltage you should have at the coils. I'm thinking about checking the front coil to see how many volts I have going to that one. Also, I traced the orange and white wire back through the harness (which I though was just a simple ground wire) and it looks like it goes into the circuit on the right hand side of the handle bars (the circuit with the kill switch and starter button). Does anyone know if that sounds correct? Also that is good advice, I probably will take the front coil off and connect it to the rear pigtails and see if I get a nice blue spark from the plugs.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 12:19 PM
Expert

Garage

I'd definitely swap the coils and see what happens. 3v is not enough though. There should be at least 11v
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 04:01 PM
Juvenile Thinker

Motorcycle: 1992 GSX-R600W, 1994 GSX-R750WN, 1995 GSX-R750WP, 2001 KX/DX 220 Hybrid, 1995 RMX250, 1999 KLX300R
Garage

You should have around 12V on the Orange/White. The full circuit is 12V from fuse 3 on Orange/Yellow to the side stand relay then from the relay on Orange/black to the engine stop switch. From the stop switch on Orange/White to both coils and to the starter button. Then from the starter button on Yellow/Green through the clutch position switch to the starter relay. Disconnect the White and Black/Yellow wires from the coils then measure voltage. Could be the CDI. Could also try seappin the white and black/yellow wires to see if problem follows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Garage
Well, I re-measured the voltage at the coils and I got about 11.56 volts. Swapped the front coil to the rear position and still didn't get spark. Then put it back in the front position and didn't get spark...idk what the problem is, I've already bought a couple different sets of coils over the course of this build and I don't really want to buy another. I think I'm just going to do the coil on plug conversation and see if that fixes the issue.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 06:36 PM
Juvenile Thinker

Motorcycle: 1992 GSX-R600W, 1994 GSX-R750WN, 1995 GSX-R750WP, 2001 KX/DX 220 Hybrid, 1995 RMX250, 1999 KLX300R
Garage

If your voltages look good take a good look at the interlock switches (clutch, sidestand, engine stop and start) make sure the connections are good and all is working there. If still nothing you may have a bad CDI unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode