Removing excess weight - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Calamari

Motorcycle: 1995 GSXR 750
Arrow Removing excess weight

I have my '95 750 on the stand doing some maintenance and upgrades. I would like to remove any excess weight. I always ride solo and only on the street. I have already removed the front fender steel under brace, the rear pegs and left rear peg mount (right rear is trimmed and attached to muffler). I have replaced all the stainless fairing screws with aluminum hardware. I realize most people will think I'm crazy for removing these parts on a street bike. It really doesn't account for much weight savings or increased performance. It's just something I have always done to my bikes, cars, trucks, jetskis etc... for more than 30 years. I feel that no matter how great a stock factory vehicle is, there is always room for improvement and my personalization. Having said that, I am asking for suggestions on any other pieces/parts I can remove. Any ideas?

R.I.P. Woody
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
May 7th, 2016 See you on the other side little buddy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:41 AM

Location: In the garage, smoking one of Anthony D's cigars...
Motorcycle: None, gave them all to Anthony D...
Re: Removing excess weight

Shaving weight,beyond the basic diet you'd normally do to a street bike sometimes requires great expense and some ingenuity.
By basics I mean:
-aftermarket exhaust
-remove tool kit(if it's even still on the bike lol)
-pod filters
-remove all reflectors
-mudflap/license plate holder
-bar end weights
-520 chain/aluminum sprocket and bolts
-unnecessary bracketry

First,how much weight would you like to trim? What's your budget??.... A full titanium exhaust(obviously )will shed some pounds but may cost more then your bike is worth,if you can source a used one in good condition.

Wheels are another place to save a few pounds,but those lbs are gonna be expensive. Marvic Piuma,Marchesini magnesium,and BST carbon fiber wheels are the only wheels worth spending money on for a street bike. Again,easily cost more then your bike is worth.
You could also utilize a K5-K8 1000 front end and both wheels. The K5-8 wheels are some of the lightest modern GSXR wheels and Im sure the entire front end would be lighter than yours.

Aftermarket bodywork; I think Air-Tech stuff may be lighter than OEM..Thats an option

Aftermarket brake components are a good place to shave some weight

You can strip all the unused wiring from your harness,although thats an extreme measure for a street bike.

Believe it or not,tires can add a significant amount of weight,with some tires being several pounds lighter than a comparable tire from a different brand.

Hope this helped a bit but it's early and I just woke up,I may be forgetting a few obvious things..Im sure there will be others to offer up their ideas
Carnage and HeJason like this.

Last edited by oldgixxer; 01-06-2017 at 03:43 AM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Calamari

I have already removed all the reflectors, tool kit and mud flap/license plate holder. It has new (less than 250 miles) chain and sprockets and both tires from previous owner. No point in swapping those until needed. Not interested in pod filters. The exhaust can is from Laser. I'm not sure about the header. It's a 4-2-1. It may be stock. Appears to be stainless. Never thought about the bar end weights. Would it cause too much vibration without them? What about the steel wrap around bracket under the rear seat/tail section? Concerning my budget, I don't have a plan yet. Just trying to see what are my options. I am not going with aftermarket wheels (too pricey). Thanks OG for all the suggestions! Ok, who else has some suggestions?

R.I.P. Woody
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 05:40 AM
Provisional Novice

take off the body work..

throw on as much new stuff as possible.

nut sure if you can make a water cooled oilier light..
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Calamari

Quote:
Originally Posted by highzoot View Post
take off the body work..

throw on as much new stuff as possible.

nut sure if you can make a water cooled oilier light..

To clarify;

I love the bodywork, so it's staying.
I'm looking to remove weight, not throw on more.

I have already lightened it some and will continue to do so.

Anyone else with a suggestion?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Captain Obvious ... because obviously itís obvious.

Motorcycle: 2006 GSXR "250"
Garage

Go to the gym or poop before riding. Unless you're a super-skinny person, you losing weight is going to be the easiest thing. Haphazardly removing things to save weight doesn't really make any sense, even if it's something you've done. Swapping to aftermarket full exhaust is another big thing that helps. Other than that, and finding some brackets and reflectors to remove, you're going to be spending money. You could drill holes in stuff, if you're really bored.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Calamari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
Go to the gym or poop before riding. Unless you're a super-skinny person, you losing weight is going to be the easiest thing. Haphazardly removing things to save weight doesn't really make any sense, even if it's something you've done. Swapping to aftermarket full exhaust is another big thing that helps. Other than that, and finding some brackets and reflectors to remove, you're going to be spending money. You could drill holes in stuff, if you're really bored.
I've lost 26 lbs. so far in 8 months. I have never "haphazardly" removed things, I always research and have a game plan before hand. Thank you for your input.

Ok guys, to get back on track, I am asking for serious suggestions such as oldgixxer mentioned above.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:26 PM
!##NULL##!

Motorcycle: '05 GSX-R1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Nick View Post
He could always drill a few holes in the stock air box!
OP- inside joke there

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowyourenemy66 View Post
I've lost 26 lbs. so far in 8 months. I have never "haphazardly" removed things, I always research and have a game plan before hand. Thank you for your input.

Ok guys, to get back on track, I am asking for serious suggestions such as oldgixxer mentioned above.
26 Lbs in 8 months!- Market THAT! You'll make a fortune

- another thing I thought of- I thought they have batteries out now that shave several pounds?- Pricey though?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:19 PM
Both Handsome AND Pretty!

Motorcycle: Dromaius Novaehollandiae

I lost almost 3 lbs this morning. The bad part is that it comes back & I have to shit again the NEXT morning. It's a vicious cycle!
knowyourenemy66 likes this.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:03 PM
Provisional Novice

Quote:
To clarify;

last i checked new bikes are lighter.. therefore they have lighter parts... therein putting new parts on your bike will make it lighter.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Calamari

Thanks to all for your input. I have stayed up all night working on my bike and have managed to considerably reduce it's weight. I removed the engine, carbs, air box (after drilling holes in it), radiator, chain and sprockets and complete exhaust system. I drained the fuel tank. It is now lighter than a new GSXR. I have managed to reduce the fuel consumption to zero and eliminate oil changes. Tire and brake life will be considerably extended. Total cost involved; ZERO! It will give me the opportunity to loose more weight around my beltline. Going uphill really burns the calories. It does however have one drawback. Performance does not come anywhere close to what it was before. Fred Flintstone is my hero! I am planning on writing a book and marketing it to make my fortune. I will give an autographed first print copy to all members that have contributed to this post as a thank you for all the help along this journey!
Todd_Sails likes this.

R.I.P. Woody
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:11 AM
Track Day Winner

Save a good few LBS with a LiIon battery.
TJS likes this.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:24 AM

All joking aside,like Nick mentioned above,the cheapest route to shed weight from rider/bike combo is the rider losing weight. That's why these jockeys that race look like anorexic high schoolers lol.
You said you lost 26lbs,thats awesome. Don't know your personal goal but lets just say you lose another 26lbs for a total loss of 52lbs. Your bike will perform significantly better with 52lbs less on it.
Sure it's not the same as dropping 52lbs from the bike,but the hp/weight ratio has definitely changed.

Yes,a lithium-ion battery will shave 5-7lbs but they are rather costly and have special charging requirements.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:31 AM
Provisional Novice

so you want a lighter bike but you don't want to spend money nor change anything... got it...

well have fun..
oldgixxer likes this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highzoot View Post
so you want a lighter bike but you don't want to spend money nor change anything... got it...

well have fun..
I kinda got that impression as well after reading a few replies. Oh well,we offered,right?
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:07 AM
Provisional Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixxer View Post
I kinda got that impression as well after reading a few replies. Oh well,we offered,right?
yup.. i changed a bunch of parts to lose 35 lbs or w/e..

added it back with the new exhaust and vfr arm.. and no down the turbo will put on a couple more lbs.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:09 AM
Soberz again

Motorcycle: 2006 GSX-R1000
Garage

You can save about 80 lbs by just buying a 2000-2003 model 750. They're pretty cheap nowadays. Unfortunately the Seven-Five-Ohhhh got heavy in those days before the SRAD dropped in '96.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
You can save about 80 lbs by just buying a 2000-2003 model 750. They're pretty cheap nowadays. Unfortunately the Seven-Five-Ohhhh got heavy in those days before the SRAD dropped in '96.
Yeah they started to get chubby in '91 and by the time the SRAD came out in '96 the GSXR 750 was a huge pig. I think only the ZX7 was heavier.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:27 PM
TJS
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 1995 GSXR 750, Modified 1992 GSF Bandit 400, want a "Kitchen Pass" for a KLX 140 Supermoto

Stick coil conversion, lithium battery, solo tail section, 520 chain conversion, aftermarket full exhaust, aluminium top fairing bracket/mirror support bracket, aluminium radiator fan, modern K series rear shock, and ???? That would be about 15-25 lbs. Depending on whether you get stainless or titanium headers and end can for the exhaust.

Big money?
Fiberglass or carbon fiber body work
modern K model wheel conversion or Dymags
Air Fin removal from the motor

Best best bang for your $$$ horsepower increase:
Factory Pro Stage I jet kit
K&N Airbox filter
Factory Pro Ignition Advancer
Full after market exhaust eg. Yoshimura, Vance and Hines, D & D, Hindle, Micron
520 Chain and sprocket conversion, -1 in the front, + 1 or 2 in the rear
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:52 AM
Ex-Lady Supermod

Garage

Quote:
To clarify;

If not yet mentioned, lithium ion battery. Took 4+ pounds off my bike weight and it's half the size although I didn't get one to lessen the weight. You will likely want to get a lithium ion dedicated charger but you can use a battery tender. Just be sure to read and follow the instructions as they are different than lead batteries.

Lithium Ion Battery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode