Low compression on No2 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 1990 Gsxr750 , 1989 gsxr750, XV750 cafe racer
Low compression on No2

Hi everyone. Normally on the oiler section but picked up a 92 model on the weekend. Got it cheap. Got it going and starting well. Blowing clouds of White smoke which I am pretty sure is vapour from sitting in the open for 6 months. Pipe baffle material is damp I think. It is getting better after lots of start ups and idling.
Finally moved onto compression today and 1, 3 and 4 are holding 130-135 PSI but no2 is down to 110. Put a teaspoon of oil in and she goes straight up to 130.
Indicating Rings. It has done 90KM's so pretty high.
My question is whether she is worth a rebuild or should I just part the old Girl out. In Australia the water cooled models are not pulling great money.
I have my 89 and 90 model done so I don't need a rider but was after a small project and a quick turnaround.
Thoughts would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 06:21 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 96 1100
Garage
Re: Low compression on No2

Well I guess that depends on how much you paid for it and if you need to get out from under it. Is it a 600 or 750? If its been sitting a long time it might just need some running an lubrication to allow the rings to re-seat. Could just be some out of spec valves too. All depends on how much time your willing to invest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode