Oil change after flooding out the bike bad - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Oil change after flooding out the bike bad

Hello,
New to the forum. I have a 97 GSXR 1100. Been sitting a few years and I am getting it back in road shape to try and get a few months of riding before the summer passes. I was trying to get the idle adjusted the other day and flooded it pretty bad. I was going to change the oil any ways but I want to make sure that I get all the oil and gas out after doing that. Will the oil drain out of the oil cooler while draining the oil normally or do I have to pull the hoses on the oil cooler to make sure I get it all out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 11:04 PM
Amateur

Garage
Re: Oil change after flooding out the bike bad

Have to take it off and dump it out
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 05:26 AM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: 93 Suzuki GSX-R 750
Garage

Honestly if the gas just leaked into the oil you'll be fine to do just simple oil change... I would just change the oil as is... I never flushed the oil cooler on my B-12... Just let it sit for a few hours the oil will drain out of the cooler with the help of gravity...

Welcome BTW!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 08:31 AM
Amateur

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedz123 View Post
Honestly if the gas just leaked into the oil you'll be fine to do just simple oil change... I would just change the oil as is... I never flushed the oil cooler on my B-12... Just let it sit for a few hours the oil will drain out of the cooler with the help of gravity...

Welcome BTW!
Gravity? Both hose connections are on the top of the cooler, that would be a good trick...

It's only a few ounces, but I always drain it anyway. I mean we heat the engine to get as much of the used oil out as possible, why ignore the cooler?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Track Day Winner

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3w4r3 View Post
Gravity? Both hose connections are on the top of the cooler, that would be a good trick...

It's only a few ounces, but I always drain it anyway. I mean we heat the engine to get as much of the used oil out as possible, why ignore the cooler?
Really??? Is it installed upside down or was just designed that way???... Weird, My SV1K and B-12 had their lines on the bottom of the cooler.

Regardless taking your cooler off is your personal preference. I never have for it's not in the service manual... Taking the cooler off for 3% of you oil capacity (If you have a 3 quart system) seems excessive, if your chasing that kind of oil, do you take the oil pan off too? I'm sure the clutch basket has similar amount of oil trapped inside as well...

Hey man your bike, your call. Kudos for diligent maintenance.

To each their own
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Thanks for the tips. For some reason I can not get much oil to drain out of the engine and when I check the oil level window it says it has a bunch of oil left in it. Not sure if I am just tired after trying to do it after work today or just having blonde moments. Going to try and drain it all again tomorrow after work. Nice thing is after bench syncing the carbs the bike was able to start without choke and it was at 1100 rpm for idle.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Mine has the hoses at the top of the oil cooler. Designed that way otherwise you could not attach it to the bike.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 09:11 PM
Track Day Winner

Garage

I believe it's a 22mm or 19mm (Big bolt) on the lowest part of your oil pan... On the 1100 I believe it's more center of the pan where the 750 is more on the left. (All about exhuast clearance)... It should be the lowest point of the pan...
Good luck!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Squid

It was a 22 mm. I got the oil and filter changed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode