Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

Running with "no" or "little" FORK OIL?

12K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  suz1100 
#1 ·
Running with \"no\" or \"little\" FORK OIL?

I'm in a bit of a predicament. I just bought a '96 GSXR1100. I need to take the bike into the dealer to have the "fork seals" replaced. The problem is the dealer is about 40 miles away and the forks are leaking pretty bad! I have oild all over the calipers and rim. I don't know how much oil is left in the forks if any??!?!

1. What are the risks riding the bike to the dealer in this condition?
2. Can I damage the forks riding it like this?

Your comments please.

#2 ·
Re: Running with \"no\" or \"little\" FORK OIL?

you can damage yourself. when it gets on the calipers you will have bearly any stopping power. it will only hurt it if it drys out it will be really bouncy or if dust gets into it

#3 ·

Do you have a garage? Or a front stand? Hang the bike up in the garage so the front is off the ground and take the forks off so you can get them to the dealer. I did this in a pinch once when a friend needed some forks for racing and I used a sturdy tree branch at the farm I used to live on. Was a little sketchy, but it worked

And get some brake cleaner and get those rotors and calipers cleaned up good before you ride for the first time, fork oil can be some really slick stuff when it's on the rotors..

#5 ·

I would take them off the bike Then bring them to the dealer,mark where the height is on the top tube before removal so you can get em right when putting back on,this is cheaper too since the shop also has to remove them saving you labor costs.
Bobbychet.

#6 ·

no, you wont damage anything on the bike at all.

btw I once blew a seal when I was about 50 miles from home, and by the time I got back home, you couldnt tell from the outside the oil was gone. Everything was nice & dry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.