Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

rear wheel alignment question

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  tlee2989 
#1 ·
I just switched my axle around so the nut is on the right to aid in chain adjustment. I cleaned and lubed my chain and reset chain tension and got it sitting right about 1". here is my question....how close to perfect alignment is good enough for the rear tire? i am .14mm off right now. I have gotten it closer before(about .04mm difference) it jsut took me a long time to get it set that way. I am using my digital caliper and measuring from the back of the swingarm pocket to the front of the axle block.

i understand that to keep chain slack same any adjustments need to be split and done equally on each side or i'll change that.

thanks in advance for the help guys.:cheers

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
Good to go DB

#3 ·
Thanks RB... I thought i would be good that close, just wanted to get a second opinion from you guys.:thumbup

#4 ·
Most guys I know use string!

You're golden!

#5 ·
#6 ·
They're OK

Just watch out if they rust or if somebody tampers with it. Properly torqued, the castlelated nut won't undo, but if it does - uh oh!!!

#7 ·
always wondered about that. ...i have a buddy that use to have a RC51 and it wasn't set up for a cotter pin.. .always wondered how that nut didn't loosen up.

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
shouldnt the measurement be from each side of the axle bolt to the axle in the front wheel? wouldnt that make the tires run true? or should it be from the rear axle to the back motor mounts? glad this one came up as this is soon to be an issue. I am sure If I got it within a a half inch I would never notice but was is the proper way.

#9 ·
Align your rear tire perfectly with your front tire, then if you are using front and rear stands, remove it from the stands, then put it back on the stands and tell me how good the alignment is.
The best way is to align off the swing arm pivots, but I have found that on my bike, the alignment marks in the swingarm are close enough to perfect that I use them as my marks.

On my bike the marks are off by .006. Probably not enough for me to notice. Ever.

#10 ·
Alright so put it on the stands, measure, take off the stands, put it back on and do the hookie pookie?:dunno seriously, what is the crucial measurement? axle bolt to pivot bolt, and then pivot bolt to the front axle? This is all just for fun as I am not fine tuning for bonneville but would like to know what is the critical measurement.

#13 ·
#14 ·
axle marks can be deceiveing (sp) due to poor casting the only sure way to be 100% is like 1/4milecrazy stated and go off your swingarm pivot point and square your rear wheel up off that, while you are there you can take your time and scribe new lines into your swing arm that you know are 100% exact or you might be lucky and your lines are fairly close as is

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.