Info regarding 1990 GSX-R750 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Info regarding 1990 GSX-R750

Hello

I have an opportunity to buy a 1990 gsxr750. Im curious if there is anything specific i should be looking for when i give it the once over? It started and drove when it got put away. Its been sitting for 7 years now so im not going to be able to start it when i go look at it. It is my uncle that is selling it so im not worried about being lied to on that.

It has 28k miles, that is what makes me a bit nervous but for the price it would be fun to tear down and restore.

Any info would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:28 PM
Amateur

Re: Info regarding 1990 GSX-R750

A cheap piece of crap is not worth restoring. Trust me, you will spend much more on the restoration then you will every spend on a nice, low mile 1990. Look for aluminum rust (spider webbing on frame). Pull seat off and look at battery box for rust. Fairing cracks are a problem since buying good condition fairings is next to impossible. Look in tank for rust.

You will likely need to rebuild/replace brakes, carb kit (needles/gaskets), clutch, fork seals, cables, wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, air/oil filter, spark plugs, tires, chain, sprockets, starter motor, battery.

If you really love the slingshots then it is fun spending the $3-5,000 bringing it back to nice stock condition. If you are looking for a cheap old bike, this may not be the way to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181026_183734.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	558976  

A
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckowski View Post
A cheap piece of crap is not worth restoring. Trust me, you will spend much more on the restoration then you will every spend on a nice, low mile 1990. Look for aluminum rust (spider webbing on frame). Pull seat off and look at battery box for rust. Fairing cracks are a problem since buying good condition fairings is next to impossible. Look in tank for rust.

You will likely need to rebuild/replace brakes, carb kit (needles/gaskets), clutch, fork seals, cables, wheel bearings, swing arm bearings, air/oil filter, spark plugs, tires, chain, sprockets, starter motor, battery.

If you really love the slingshots then it is fun spending the $3-5,000 bringing it back to nice stock condition. If you are looking for a cheap old bike, this may not be the way to go.
Gotcha and thanks for the response. The bike actually is in good shape. All of the parts are there and its not missing anything. The sitting for 7yrs and 28k miles are my concern. He wants $500 for it and i know he paid more. He wanted to make it into a street fighter but lost interest.
Carbs have to come off and be cleaned and rebuilt.
Oil cooler lines need replacement
Replace brake fluid after testing calipers and replace brake lines if needed
Needs tires of course.

Thats the list of things i know need to be replaced.

Nice bikes btw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5285_1565055668807.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	558986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5286_1565055679655.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	558988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5289_1565055708881.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	558990  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 03:13 AM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: 99 GSX-R750
Garage

For sure the carbs will need a good once-over. And check the tank for rust inside.
The rusty-tank issue is a common Katana killer.
After sitting that long, all the rubber parts should be checked and probably replaced.
Even stored in good conditions, rubber degrades over time.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:54 PM
Amateur

$500....go for it. you can sell the fairings alone on ebay for more than that. Front end looks crooked or may be the picture??? Fun project for sure....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode