1988 GSXR750J No Spark on Cyl 2&3 - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gixxerider86

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Squid

1988 GSXR750J No Spark on Cyl 2&3

Hi,

Been doing lots of reading and troubleshooting but still can't figure out if my '88 750 really needs a replacement CDI. Bike has been running fine for several years straight. Rode it for the first time this year about a month ago. No issues at the time. Wasn't able to get it started the other day. Can get spark from ignition wires going to cyl 1 and 4 but not 2 and 3. Same results when the coils were swapped, indicating that coils aren't bad. Primary and secondary resistance for both coils are within specs. Also tested resistance at signal generator terminal and that's within spec. Continuity between wires at ignition coils end and CDI plug end all are solidly connected. Anything else I should try before buying a replacement CDI? Any other tests I can perform on the signal generator at the rotor end? I don't have or know anyone with a compatible CDI to test with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:39 PM
idiot

Motorcycle: 1990 GSXR1100
Re: 1988 GSXR750J No Spark on Cyl 2&3

I think you've covered everything. Sounds like you need a new cdi.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Squid

I should also add that voltage at both ignition coils' 4 spade connectors (2 connectors per coil) were approx 11V when ignition is turned ON and approx 7V when cranking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 02:17 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 1986 GSXR 815, 2002 Bandit 1200N

I went through the same problem on a slabby Im currently fixing up. you can slide the circuit board out from the CDI box. look carefully at all the solder points, check for even the slightest, smallest of defects. My slabby had the same problem and wouldnt fire on cylinders 1 & 4, it turned out to be the white wire coming from the coil that goes directly to the CDI, the solder on the circuit board had a hairline crack. soldered it back up, now it runs like a new bike. look at a wiring diagram and verify that the power wire from the coil goes directly to the CDI
fmcmla likes this.

Last edited by Gixxerider86; 06-19-2019 at 02:24 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:55 AM
Track Day Winner

There's quite a few guys on here from Alberta, I'm sure someone has one to test try. If you were here in QC I'd be glad to help. Not sure how you can search those guys out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode