Re: 86 750 Engine Clunking After Carb Reinstall
Hey, thanks all, and sorry for the total chaos. I'm pretty good at carbs, but these are finicky.
1) carbs ran great
2) took carbs off, rejetted, reinstalled, carbs ran like crap - seemed mostly to run like crap at idle
3) jetted back to original, carbs still ran like crap
4) did temp test, and it seemed like carbs 1 & 2 were the culprits - 1 being the worst
5) did compression test (cold) with carbs on and carbs 1&2 were significantly lower. Numbers corresponding pretty closely to the temp differences.
6) did compression test with carbs off, and all were pretty even
7) did compression test with carbs ON, with throttle open (not connected, so maybe 50%-80% open), and carbs were much closer to even, though 1 was a bit lower. I stopped there because 4 was the same as carbs off, and 1 was lower, but better.
8) I took this to mean that there was an issue with flow with the problematic carbs - probably with the pilot circuit
9) cleaned the pilot jets, reinstalled the carbs, got same results for the compression test.
Would love next steps! I will absolutely run through anything you recommend.
I am definitely new to this kind of problem - I'm used to dual carbs. I'm pretty close to taking it into a shop, but I would need to take it in with the carbs installed (so they could diagnose), and that's about 4 hours of labor.