GSF1200S Weird AFR with dynojet stage 3 and KN - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

3Likes
  • 1 Post By mark_E
  • 1 Post By Gixxerider86
  • 1 Post By javadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Motorcycle: Suzuki GSF1200SZ
GSF1200S Weird AFR with dynojet stage 3 and KN

Hi,

I have 2005 gsf1200s bandit, europe version. I've removed system that injects air into exhaust (plugged holes on engine block with special kit), installed aftermarket muffler, K&N air filters (RU-2922), Dynojet stage 3 jets spring and needle kit (E3351). I had to play around with needle setting and idle adjustment screw in order to get it working normally, first it was done according to Dynojet manual and it was awful because it had no thrust and was terribly firing (i.e. with real fire) from exhaust pipe...

I had different feeling compared to what it was before, however I considered everything was ok. I had to make myself confident about opening full throttle very fast - it was not working good, I've found a solution for rapid bike acceleration by opening throttle bit by bit relative to speed, full throttle result in not good thrust and opening it as RPM are growing allowed faster accelaerations that it was before.

This week I've installed Haltech WBC1 wideband O2 kit with gauge. I've calibrated it on open air as per instructions.

Now the problem is that with warmed up engine I'm getting 11:1 AFR while crouising (<4000rpm), then it gets to 14.1 at 6000rpm and then rapidly falls to 17:1-18:1 above 7000rpm.

I would expect bad tuned carb to be rich only or lean only througout the rpm range and there are methodics described over the web on how to deal with that, however I can not find information on how to deal with part rich part lean operation. Could someone give me a link on how to tune carbs in this situation?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:14 PM
idiot

Motorcycle: 1990 GSXR1100
Re: GSF1200S Weird AFR with dynojet stage 3 and KN

CV Carb Tuning Procedures
awpe likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:21 AM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 1986 GSXR 815, 2002 Bandit 1200N

pilot jet/needle position is too rich, main jet too lean. refer to the hyperlink mark_E provided
jaffa565 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:00 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: I don't ride anything. Who has the time? Plus, everything I own is in pieces.

Throw away the Dynojet kit and use one from Dale Walker's Holeshot Performance, or from Factory Pro. Personally, I'd also run the stock airbox and a Suzuki filter.
ghostrider.1127 likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:23 PM
Amateur

Motorcycle: 1986 GSXR 815, 2002 Bandit 1200N

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
Throw away the Dynojet kit and use one from Dale Walker's Holeshot Performance, or from Factory Pro. Personally, I'd also run the stock airbox and a Suzuki filter.

+1 that's what I'm running, with a K&N filter and a 2" hole in the airbox lid
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_E View Post
CV Carb Tuning Procedures
Thank you, this helped a lot. I was able to get more or less constant AFR of 13.7, however it seems to be impossible to get it through entire RPM range as it always goes bad either mid or high rpm range, when it is good up to 6k+ rpm then it is lean from 7k, when it is ~14 from 7k rpm then it is rich(afr~10.9) before 6k... I've done a lot of job and tried all 4 main jets from dynojet kit as well as all 5 position of needle on each jet, and can not find setup that will allow normal operation both high and mid range... Very disappointed with this kit!

I suppose supplied needles are very thin for my carbs (compared to stock ones) as main jets heavily affects AFR during idle.

I've bought dynojet kit as I've read that it is only bad for old bandits before 2000', and it was available at local shop.

It seems I will have to order Holeshot kit from USA.

By the way, there are suggests to install stock air filter box with large hole, then what is the point of everybody installing K&N filters? They are supposed to be installed on heavily modified engine only?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 12:30 PM
Ghostrider

Motorcycle: few gsx-r
Garage

Get some proper BST SS 36 ....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider.1127 View Post
Get some proper BST SS 36 ....
I thought that is exact model of stock carbs...

BTW What are the benefits of slide carbs compared to CV carbs? Do slide carbs provide something good on stock B12 engine (with modified exhaust and intake)?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:22 PM
Ghostrider

Motorcycle: few gsx-r
Garage

think in 05 they used keihin , but if i“m wrong check for worn/oval emulsion tubes
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 10:38 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: I don't ride anything. Who has the time? Plus, everything I own is in pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awpe View Post
By the way, there are suggests to install stock air filter box with large hole, then what is the point of everybody installing K&N filters? They are supposed to be installed on heavily modified engine only?
K&N filters don't filter the air very well. They are used by people that remove the stock airbox and want something as a filter, even if the filtration isn't as effective as the stock filter, or because they just don't know any better. The engine usually breathes a little better, which might make a few horsepower difference, if you can get it jetted properly. Removing the airbox and adding the K&N filters (which have a blocked end opposite the carb inlet) changes the flow characteristics and pulse reflections experienced by the intake. You might see better peak power, but may also have a torque and power curve that are less smooth. Most bike engines will have a dip in the power curve somewhere between 4,000 and 7,000 revs from a too rich mixture caused by carb reversion. I have found that the Dynojet stage 3 kits I have used on similar carbs make this quite a bit worse, once you get the mixture right for high rpm.

I've had a second generation Bandit and used the Holeshot kit, a modified airbox running a stock filter and a Yoshimura slip on muffler and had good results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode