• 1 Post By cyberstig
  • 1 Post By mark_E
  • 1 Post By mark_E

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: GSXR1100 M
1991m Carb issues

Hi all, would really appreciate some help and feedback if possible.

I've been slowly rebuilding a UK 1991 Gsxr1100, this week I got the tank on with new fuel and decided to try and start the bike, it has been sat for months whilst being stripped and rebuilt.
I had the carbs off the bike and just gave them a clean, blew air through jets etc, I didn't carry out a big overhaul

I started the bike and it was turning over nicely but wouldnt fire, I got the impression that fuel was not being pumped through, the tap has always been left in the On position.
When I removed the tank there was no fuel in the lines so no fuel flowing from the tank.
I then thought that as it had been sat for so long I would prime the carbs which I did, I made a quick drink and when i came back there was petrol leaking on the floor.
After cleaning up I tried starting the bike again but now I get absolutely nothing, wont even turn over.
I've checked the petcock and am pretty sure its faulty as when i suck on the vent tube i dont get any fuel flowing, I've now ordered a new petcock.

I'm guessing the carbs are gonna need sorting out properly, I gotta be honest carbs really aint my thing as they are so tempremental.

It looks to me like there maybe fuel in the oil so I'm gonna change the oil, my worry is that ive been reading that it may have hydro locked?
Can someone run me through what I should do next? Where do I start and at what point can I try and run the bike again?

Would appreciate any help.

Cheers
Liam.

Last edited by lem123; 04-18-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:27 PM
Provisional Novice

Motorcycle: GSX-R1000 K4
Re: 1991m Carb issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem123 View Post
Also after removing the tank, I blew into the fuel lines and it sounded as though there was fuel in the air box bubbling when I blew into the lines, I haven't actually checked this yet but definitely coming from the air box.
Doesn't make sense to me... where's fuel lines and where's air box... You did not even look into the airbox, did you? I'd rather expect water there...
Especially that you said no fuel in fuel lines - how would the fuel get to the air box Mate?!

You don't make sense... sorry.

Maybe go and have another drink...

Last edited by Kartel; 04-17-2019 at 03:29 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Thanks for the helpful insight, There was no fuel in the lines on the first start up attempt with the petcock in the on position, which is why I believed there was no fuel flowing from the tank, hence why I then tested the petcock.

I then switched to prime in which fuel obviously flowed into the lines and leaked out as well, there was no water in the air box as it was bone dry beforehand.
No I haven't actually checked the air box yet as I haven't had the time to look yet, I'm just passing on what I can hear and smell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:11 PM
Provisional Novice

I'm not surprised you can smell fuel from fuel lines... You are confident the sound wasn't coming from carbs?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

I think you probably know that I didn't say I could smell fuel in the fuel lines......i will however keep that nugget of advice for future reference so thanks for the heads up.

What I actually said was I could hear and smell what I'm assuming is possibly fuel in the airbox, as I said I haven't checked it properly yet.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:42 PM
Provisional Novice

I think fuel lines go to carbs and there is fuel in carbs, when You blowed air into fuel lines personally I would imagine the fuel in carbs would bubble, and with airbox on the top of carbs that air smelling with fuel it had gone through would go up into the air box, hence the smell and sound but it's only how I imagine it You know... but please by all means check everything at your end Mate
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:05 PM
Squid

Motorcycle: 1979 Ducati 900SS, 1989 GSXR1100L, 2001 GSXR1000K1

I have a 1990 1100. I expect that they are the same or similar. The fuel tap on mine has two outlets and a vacuum line in. As far as I know the tap is vacuum controlled. If the vacuum is line is blocked, kinked or not connected properly it will not activate the tap and no fuel will pass through. I expect that when you set it on prime it allowed fuel through. That has then filled the carb bowls and if not turned off in time would overfill. That would cause fuel to overflow onto the floor but worse it could well have leaked into the piston cylinder. I expect that you have one or more cylinders with fuel in them. That will cause hydraulic lock. Pull out the spark plugs and spin the motor over with the fuel off. That will get any fuel in the cylinders out. Be careful as the fuel will get blown out straight at you under pressure. so put a big rag over the spark plug holes and don't do it with a smoke in your mouth. If it was on the side stand it is number one cylinder that would have been flooded.

Dry the plugs and check the vacuum control line to the tap.

Good luck.
lem123 likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Great stuff, thanks for the info.

I've dumped the oil which definitely has fuel in it and also removed all the plugs, plugs 2 & 3 were both wet.

The bike has been sat on a rear wheel bike stand, Cylinder 2 & 3 definatley got fuel in them, I can see it sloshing around when I move the bike about, cylinder 4 looks damp.

I've let them vent for most of the day and I cant see anymore fuel in there, they look dry.

Can I ask whats the best procedure to crank the engine over by hand, it's not something I've done before.

Appreciate the advice.

Liam
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:39 PM
idiot

Motorcycle: 1990 GSXR1100

Officially to turn the engine over by hand you remove the ignitor cover and put a spanner on the bolt that's exposed. If it's on a stand though you can just put it in gear and turn the back wheel. If you are wanting to turn it over to get rid of any excess fuel in the cylinders however, just turn it over on the starter with the plugs out.

You are going to need to remove the carbs and give them a once over, replacing the orings in the process. Make sure you replace the float carriage orings. This will solve the problem you have just experienced. Test the petcock with the tank off. Fuel should flow on 'prime'. Fuel should flow on 'on' and 'reserve' IF you suck on the vacuum line connected to the petcock.
lem123 likes this.

idiot
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Thanks for the help fellas, really helpful.

I cranked it over on the starter with a rag over the spark holes and sure enough it spat fuel out of 3 & 4.

Number 4 was like a geyser going off! and almost covered me, I wasn't quite sure what to expect so didn't have the rag firmly covered on 4.

I'm gonna leave it to vent for a while and crank it over again until I'm sure it's all nice and dry.

Then strip down carbs and rebuild, I've been reading the post on how to strip and rebuild which is excellent, so fingers crossed!

Thanks again.

Liam

Last edited by lem123; 04-19-2019 at 04:55 AM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Can anyone advise on how to remove the pilot air jets?

I think someones had a go at mine in the past and I cant seem to get a start on them to unscrew them, I dont want to get too heavy handed with them.

Cheers
Liam
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:06 PM
idiot

Motorcycle: 1990 GSXR1100

I'd suggest you leave them in if you can't get them out. Give them a bit of a blast with carb cleaner and compressed air (both directions)
lem123 likes this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Ok cool, I've given them a good squirt of carb cleaner and blown them through with compressed air.

They are all clear, not blocked or anything so I'll take your advice and leave them alone. 👍

Thanks
Liam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode