Hydraulic clutch malfunction GSX 1100F - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Hydraulic clutch malfunction GSX 1100F

Hello fellow riders,

My name is Rasmus and im from Denmark.

I have just bought a GSX 1100 F from 1989. I realized the clutch lever was very "light" and the clutch did not disengage when activating the lever. I thought it was just a matter of bleeding the hydraulic clutch system. However i cannot get the clutch working at all.

I have disassembled the clutch release cylinder as this was completely stuck. It is fine now and moves forward and backwards corresponding to the lever. The system is completely bleeded and no bubbles of air should be in the system as i have bleed many times. The clutch is still not disengaging. Im wondering why i cannot push the rod between the clutch release cylinder and the clutch by hand? Im expecting this rod to be movable in/out but it feels very hard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Re: Hydraulic clutch malfunction GSX 1100F

Update: I think i still have a hydraulic problem as the lever can be pushed up against the handlebar. If the system was working 100% and the rod could not be pushed in I should not be able to push the lever all the way in.

So what do you guys suggest me to do? I have used some dot 4 brake fluid from my garage unsealed and maybe 3 years old. I know this is not recommended but can it cause these problems?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:05 PM
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to me.

Motorcycle: Blue 2006 GSX-R1000

The wrong or old fluid can cause corrosion issues. Make sure that there's no corrosion at either end that's leading to air leaks. But beyond that, you could have 100% water in the system and it ought to work (don't try it).

P.S. I gather that the only bleeder is at the clutch release cylinder. That sounds like air could get into the system at the M/C and be hard to get out. Keep bleeding.

Last edited by BillV; 04-15-2019 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Added P.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Tommorow i will ensure that the clutch master builds up the right pressure and change the fluid.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:44 PM
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: "85 Slabbie, P6 Race Bike

I would think that if the clutch lever is still moving all the way to the handlebar, there is still air in the system. Did you remove the mastercylinder form the handlebar to bleed it; the banjo bolt sits higher than the master cylinder and can retain air, even though you think its fully bled, it may not be.

good luck.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:46 AM
Old Skool Moderator

Motorcycle: 88/1100, '15KTM390Duke, 1 pile of parts for a "Big Papa".

Remove and check the bleed screw on the actuator while you're at it....I've seen them overtightened and damaged making it impossible to bleed even with a vacuum gun!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Remove and check the bleed screw on the actuator while you're at it....I've seen them overtightened and damaged making it impossible to bleed even with a vacuum gun!
The bleeding screw seems to work as i can get fluid out when I push the lever?

Today i have changed the fluid and tried to bleed with the master and the clutch release cylinder "in hand" to get the remaining air out. Still no luck, the lever goes to the handlebar. I have noticed some bubbles coming out between the piston and the cylinder in the clutch release cylinder. I think this part needs to be replaced. 155€
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 03:58 PM
Likes to race old junk.

Motorcycle: Singles, Twins, a Triple, Four's, a Six and an Eight!

Piston seal.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Yes but the seal shows no signs of wear. But the inner cylinder wall has some rust/corrosion I’m not able to remove with sand paper p1000
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Squid

While waiting on spare parts I wanted to activate the clutch manually by pushing the clutch release rod in. This is not possible. Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode