HEL Oil Cooler - Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: GSXR1100 M
HEL Oil Cooler

Hi all, just purchased a new Hel oil cooler for a 1991 GSXR1100m, the original cooler was knackered.

The new cooler has bottom fitting connections, and the 2 lines have a straight fitting one end nd a 90 on the other end.

Any advice on fitting these? The lines are obviously different to the original lines so may have to route them differently.

Does it matter which way round I hook up the hose fittings ie: attach 90 degree fitting to cooler or straight fittings? or is it a case of what fits best.

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers
Liam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 01:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

Motorcycle: 2007 GSX-R 750, 1989 GSX-R 1100, 2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
Re: HEL Oil Cooler

The HEL oil cooler for my 1100k, purchased in 2004 or so from the HEL USA dealer in FL at the time (the USA dealer is now in PA), has curved fittings to the top of the cooler and the straight fittings go into the new double male fittings you install into the oil pan (since the HEL is standard thread and the original fittings are metric). I don't believe it should be any different for the "M" model year.

For routing purposes for the oil lines, I experimented with several positions, finally finding a compromise on keeping the lines away from as much heat as possible, staying away from rubbing against anything, using zip ties to keep them where I wanted and installing foam or rubber anywhere possible contact/vibration might cause unwanted wear. If your bike does not have any fairings, the fitment/routing concern is negligible.

I hope this helps.

Good luck,
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." Thomas Jefferson
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Winner

Motorcycle: GSXR1100 M
Re: HEL Oil Cooler

Thanks Paul, appreciate the advice. Im still trying to find the best route for the lines, as you said trying to keep away from the exhaust downpipes where possible.

The new lines are slightly shorter than the original lines so its proving a bit tricky at the minute to find the best route without it touching the downpipes too much.
Hopefully I should find a good compromise!

Thanks again
Liam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode